Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raped a 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Raped a 5.0

From a light. We both rolled off normal and nailed it after we got the clutches all the way out (or at least thats what I did and we left at the same time). At about 3500rpm my TC kicked in. He did not pull. I grannied into 2nd. He was not visible to my right. I did not look in the mirror for him. I tried to go into 3rd. Didnt get it in the first time (granny shifting, taking my time, just didnt press in the gate all the way or let off the clutch at all.) Saw him start to come back in the corner of my eye. Put it in 3rd and floored it again. Ran 3rd out for about 2 seconds before the brakes had to come on. It was NOT in an optimal place. Anywho, we got it up to about 70ish. (or I did).

Caught up to him and ran him again from 70 while I was in 4th. I think I ran him, seemed like he KINDA hung, a little. I couldnt really tell.

We pulled over, chatted. He said "hi(him)" "hi, im Jon, nice runs!(me)" "Those things are bad *insert story of 10-second TA owned by friend* (him)" "I am still stock (both of us)" *compliments all around*

Judging by the rims it was a 89-93. It had a 5-speed.

Last edited by BLKWS.6; 02-05-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice run...so a bone stock 5.0 hung nearly as well as your modded 5.0(dad driving)? You are going to have to take your car to the track to see what it will do.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joewee350
Nice run...so a bone stock 5.0 hung nearly as well as your modded 5.0(dad driving)? You are going to have to take your car to the track to see what it will do.
Nah, my 5.0 was a lot tougher than this one. When we played from a roll I could barely tell if he was trying. From a dig my TC cut in HARD at 3500 and he STILL couldnt get around me. granny into 2nd and after I would it out, I got off the gas for about 1.5 seconds before I saw him out of the corner of my eye on my right and then into 3rd and floored it again a couple seconds. I would say he did a lot worse than my 5.0
Old 02-05-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet kill, It sounds like that Fox was healthy tho to even hang with you at all if he was stock, TC or not.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverStang00
Sweet kill, It sounds like that Fox was healthy tho to even hang with you at all if he was stock, TC or not.
A full second between shifts and 2 seconds between 2-3? Meh. 0-70 and all that + TC and he couldnt pass me. I was unimpressed.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:16 PM
***Repost Police***

Well considering they are high 14s cars...
Old 02-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Nice kill... If you hadn't miss shifted you would have really distroyed him...
Old 02-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 305 302eater
Nice kill... If you hadn't miss shifted you would have really distroyed him...
It wasnt so much of a mis-shift as it was me just being an *** and not putting it in gear until I saw him again. It was a bad place to race and I wanted to keep it under 80 FOR SURE! Although 60 would have been the intelligent thing.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned by Request

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
From a light. We both rolled off normal and nailed it after we got the clutches all the way out (or at least thats what I did and we left at the same time). At about 3500rpm my TC kicked in. He did not pull. I grannied into 2nd. He was not visible to my right. I did not look in the mirror for him. I tried to go into 3rd. Didnt get it in the first time (granny shifting, taking my time, just didnt press in the gate all the way or let off the clutch at all.) Saw him start to come back in the corner of my eye. Put it in 3rd and floored it again. Ran 3rd out for about 2 seconds before the brakes had to come on. It was NOT in an optimal place. Anywho, we got it up to about 70ish. (or I did).

Caught up to him and ran him again from 70 while I was in 4th. I think I ran him, seemed like he KINDA hung, a little. I couldnt really tell.

We pulled over, chatted. He said "hi(him)" "hi, im Jon, nice runs!(me)" "Those things are bad *insert story of 10-second TA owned by friend* (him)" "I am still stock (both of us)" *compliments all around*

Judging by the rims it was a 89-93. It had a 5-speed.
What city and state are you from?
Want to take your chances against my 5.0?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not tryn to be a dick man, but it sounds like you need to practice driving, and turn the TCS off for gods sake! You should have annilated that car with ease, even if he was a full bolt-on car.

Even if he was a cool guy, now he will go around talking about how he hung with an LS1 car, etc, etc. That race shoulda ended with you bus lengths ahead. In my experience either go all out or just dont do it at all. My .02
Old 02-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Not tryn to be a dick man, but it sounds like you need to practice driving, and turn the TCS off for gods sake! You should have annilated that car with ease, even if he was a full bolt-on car.

Even if he was a cool guy, now he will go around talking about how he hung with an LS1 car, etc, etc. That race shoulda ended with you bus lengths ahead. In my experience either go all out or just dont do it at all. My .02

I dont like going much over 70 crossing a bridge that has an on-ramp and an off-ramp and a truck stop at the end of it. (Bridge crossing I20, about 200m long) I ran it out to the top of second and then when I saw him still there on the gas trying to catch up, a TINY BIT into 3rd. I was hoping it would end after 2nd.

I did not turn off TCS because I saw no need to.

Meltdown...shreveport, LA. I bought the WS6 just to play with and not really to run it. I only run stuff that I just happen along side. That being said I did totally rape my 5.0 which has every mod known to man , I just went cheap on the heads and kinda payed the price in performance. Still. What is your 5.0 packing?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Banned by Request

I dont like going much over 70 crossing a bridge that has an on-ramp and an off-ramp and a truck stop at the end of it. (Bridge crossing I20, about 200m long) I ran it out to the top of second and then when I saw him still there on the gas trying to catch up, a TINY BIT into 3rd. I was hoping it would end after 2nd.

I did not turn off TCS because I saw no need to.

Meltdown...shreveport, LA. I bought the WS6 just to play with and not really to run it. I only run stuff that I just happen along side. That being said I did totally rape my 5.0 which has every mod known to man , I just went cheap on the heads and kinda payed the price in performance. Still. What is your 5.0 packing?
Let's just say size counts.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MELTDOWN
Let's just say size counts.
Yes, it does. But with everying in racing, money counts more. Being as I am a college student I gladly digress.

What do you have?

PS. You claimed to have a "5.0" to me that means a car with a 302ci motor (although 305 is 5.0...anyways.). The reason people called the fox-body mustang a 5.0 was in reference to the only thing in the car worth a damn in my opinion (having owned one). So if you do not have a mustang with a 302 or 306. It is NOT! a 5.0 and thus I would have been mislead if I had challenged your claimed 5.0 if I am to belive the insinuation that you made about having more cubes.

PSS> it is late and I have a test tomorrow. Thinking analytically.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:47 AM
Banned by Request

I was being sarcastic. Most ls1/lt1 guys are ignorant. They feel that a baby 302ci engine can in no way touch a light weight aluminum block 346ci engine. I'm just here to prove some fools wrong. BTW It's ok to be a student in college. To answer your previous question; I have a Mustang with an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, throttle body, 4:10 gears, and a 5-speed. Nothing to be scared of I just want to try it out with someone. FWIW I haven't raced a 5-speed car in 3 years
Old 02-08-2007, 03:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MELTDOWN
I was being sarcastic. Most ls1/lt1 guys are ignorant. They feel that a baby 302ci engine can in no way touch a light weight aluminum block 346ci engine. I'm just here to prove some fools wrong. BTW It's ok to be a student in college. To answer your previous question; I have a Mustang with an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, throttle body, 4:10 gears, and a 5-speed. Nothing to be scared of I just want to try it out with someone. FWIW I haven't raced a 5-speed car in 3 years
TKO500
GT40P heads
X303 cam
575 speed demon carb
MSD 6AL
MSD Pro-Billet dizzy
RPM Performer manifold
1.6 aluminum RR's
MAC shorties
O/R X-pipe
Force II Flowmaster dumped pre-axle
4.10's
Billet flywheel/king cobra clutch
Underdriven crank pully
17" Flex-fan (stainless steel, thing was intimidating and damn sharp!)
FMS aluminum DS
Full-length subframes
tq-box kit
welded axle tubes
140mph dash cluster from an 89'
Probe Forged pistons

That is what I can remember from my 5.0 mod list. Everyone on this forum remembers when I joined. My goal was to use a stock displacement 302ci motor to take down an LS1 car. I did it. Just once. It was an auto Z28 from a 75mph punch and it was a SLOW! crawl. I think his car was out of tune or had a plug wire missing. My setup dynoed 244/262 with 13.0:1 A/F with the air-filter removed. The car trapped a best of 98.54mph. At first I thought WTF?! something is wrong!!! But I looked at A LOT! of other 5.0 combos and saw that with all my mods and crappy tires, thats about all I could expect. Low 14's/high 13's @ 99 mph or so, give or take.

To make REAL! power from a 302 takes Trickflow/Brodix/AFR heads and LT's and a .530-.560 lift custom ground cam to match the combo.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=20
This ^ race was the result of my BONE STOCK! 01 M6 WS6 running the above described modded car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/introductions-greetings/378392-new-ls1tech.html
^Me being ignorant a couple of years ago
https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-racing-kill-stories/378269-killed-ls1.html
^Looking back on it...this guy RAPED me, although it WAS unfair. (I was still EFI)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-racing-kill-stories/373739-s2000-vs-5-0-a.html
^Me vs. Stock S2000 (I was still EFI)

I ran several 350Z's and the outcome was pretty close each time.

My point is, you sound a lot like me when I joined. This will save you a LOT OF MONEY AND TIME: Buy an LS1 F or Y body. Period. "Oh I can beat them with good heads or a power adder!" When they spend $2000 and get a cam/LT's/a tune/worked LS6 heads and lay down 425whp and come looking for you it will be sad.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

I seriously doubt he is that clueless to think his near stock 5.0 will hang with anything other than full size trucks and miatas. He obviously isnt sharing his full mod list but if he is, he should smash his car into a tree before he embarrasses himself racing anything that runs under a 13.5.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joewee350
I seriously doubt he is that clueless to think his near stock 5.0 will hang with anything other than full size trucks and miatas. He obviously isnt sharing his full mod list but if he is, he should smash his car into a tree before he embarrasses himself racing anything that runs under a 13.5.
Meh, I think either he is sandbagging like a **** like you say or that he is just ignorant and excited like I was when I first got my 5.0 and decided to try and take down the mighty LS1.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Teching In

WOW, just wow, you do not speak the truth, nor can you drive.

My 95 dynoed 246/290 with stock heads e cam and boltons, I ran 12.8 at 106

I currently have a well matched P setup and dyno 295/321. I have a mild 218/224 cam. and my current setup is a few hundred pounds heavier with the Handling-minded suspension I have now. Dont worry I dont have a chip on my shoulders about beating any ls1. Your information is whack. Your combination on your mustang was absolutely retarded.

The only thing you are somewhat right about is afr/trick flow heads with a holley intake or RPMII. You can have a descently running HC setup that you can get 112-115 mph. Then you bottle it or Blower it. Thats just what you do next, nothing wrong with it. Especially when you can pick up a vortech setup for a fox for between 1-2k.

TKO500
GT40P heads
X303 cam
575 speed demon carb
MSD 6AL
MSD Pro-Billet dizzy
RPM Performer manifold
1.6 aluminum RR's
MAC shorties
O/R X-pipe
Force II Flowmaster dumped pre-axle
4.10's
Billet flywheel/king cobra clutch
Underdriven crank pully
17" Flex-fan (stainless steel, thing was intimidating and damn sharp!)
FMS aluminum DS
Full-length subframes
tq-box kit
welded axle tubes
140mph dash cluster from an 89'
Probe Forged pistons

That is what I can remember from my 5.0 mod list. Everyone on this forum remembers when I joined. My goal was to use a stock displacement 302ci motor to take down an LS1 car. I did it. Just once. It was an auto Z28 from a 75mph punch and it was a SLOW! crawl. I think his car was out of tune or had a plug wire missing. My setup dynoed 244/262 with 13.0:1 A/F with the air-filter removed. The car trapped a best of 98.54mph. At first I thought WTF?! something is wrong!!! But I looked at A LOT! of other 5.0 combos and saw that with all my mods and crappy tires, thats about all I could expect. Low 14's/high 13's @ 99 mph or so, give or take.

To make REAL! power from a 302 takes Trickflow/Brodix/AFR heads and LT's and a .530-.560 lift custom ground cam to match the combo.
My point is, you sound a lot like me when I joined. This will save you a LOT OF MONEY AND TIME: Buy an LS1 F or Y body. Period. "Oh I can beat them with good heads or a power adder!" When they spend $2000 and get a cam/LT's/a tune/worked LS6 heads and lay down 425whp and come looking for you it will be sad.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

I totally agree with you 95Snoozer my friend owned a 95 cobra and with just a catback and under pullies could dip into the mid 13's granted he was a good driver and this is in NJ good tracks and low altitude. Something must have really been off with that engine to only dyno 244 when a stock Cobra 5.0 (with regular iron gt-40 heads) will dyno around 220 rwhp. The only other thing I can think of is that those numbers were made on a mustang dyno.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Teching In

well he had a horribly matched cam to that head and intake