Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Kiled a shelby GT 500 last night

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

surprised there havent been comparisons to the ford gt in here haha. another terrible apples to oranges comparison that pops up when the vette is discussed
Old 09-20-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
surprised there havent been comparisons to the ford gt in here haha. another terrible apples to oranges comparison that pops up when the vette is discussed

id still pick the c6 zo6 over that car...its nice and all. i actually got to see one up close, and on the dyno..it was putting down 8xx rwhp..pretty nice car...but i just fell in love with the new vette.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BURN'EM
Your right but,
This car is second to the top, I waxed the 550 horse S281E last weekend. But I guess LS1 aren't allowed to mod to the nonLSX crowd
I'm sorry, I must have missed where you gave your mods and numbers...

What's that beast putting down? Any time slips?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ponygt65
I agree about stang competing with vette. But, as a stang guy, I actually take it as an honor that stangs do get compared.

And I have said it a million times...location plays a HUGE part is dealer mark up. Case in point....you can't get a gt500 OR a C6ZO6 for MSRP around here...BOTH are marked up. But, this is CA.
I thinkt he comparison before was a C6 corvette and I can get a New 2007 LS2 C6 vette for $43K right now. LS3's can be had for around $46K-$47K. Cant find a gt500 anywhere near that price here. Both vettes are faster stock too. C6 Z06 can be had for around $76K, which isnt too much of a mark up over the sticker price. Not a bad thing, just means that the GT500 is a very desirable car and Ford did something right. At $42K they would be one of the best bang for the buck cars out there, just sucks that dealers are asking for so much.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice Kills Thas So F-in Awsome
Old 09-21-2007, 07:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
I'm sorry, I must have missed where you gave your mods and numbers...

What's that beast putting down? Any time slips?
Terminator, he's legit, I've seen some of his time slips, 10.3s at 133+. I think he's been talking about upping the dual stage shot or going to a turbo next. He certainly has a 9 second by just upping the juice. It use to be a dual stage 175 shot if I'm not mistaken. Than a dual stage 225, think it trapped 140 or real close to it. I'm sure he can chime in. Like I said, the car surely is capable of 9.9s.

FWIW, these will help, the stories I was talking about his neighbor, rofl.

First one: https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-racing-kill-stories/408129-just-wasted-porsche-911-s.html

Neighbors rematch, rofl! : https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...2&page=1&pp=20

They should be stickied as probably the funniest street racing, rofl!

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 09-21-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
Terminator, he's legit, I've seen some of his time slips, 10.3s at 133+. !
Enough to take my E and certainly enough to take a stock GT500.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ponygt65
I agree about stang competing with vette. But, as a stang guy, I actually take it as an honor that stangs do get compared.

And I have said it a million times...location plays a HUGE part is dealer mark up. Case in point....you can't get a gt500 OR a C6ZO6 for MSRP around here...BOTH are marked up. But, this is CA.
You can't here either, but I can because I am in the car business.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
I thinkt he comparison before was a C6 corvette and I can get a New 2007 LS2 C6 vette for $43K right now. LS3's can be had for around $46K-$47K. Cant find a gt500 anywhere near that price here. Both vettes are faster stock too. C6 Z06 can be had for around $76K, which isnt too much of a mark up over the sticker price. Not a bad thing, just means that the GT500 is a very desirable car and Ford did something right. At $42K they would be one of the best bang for the buck cars out there, just sucks that dealers are asking for so much.
I agree it really sucks, because I was close to buying one. My owner was mad when I bought the Vette but I told him I can't pay $20k over for a GT500. Now I am glad because the Vette is so much better. So much more responsive and aggressive on the throttle, so much more caged beast. And the LS3's with a cam are downright nasty...they are dynoing stock C6 Z06 #'s.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Car is a dual stage 200 shot right now, as for 140 traps thats just dreams there.maybe next year I am currently putting together a 408 Iron block, twin turbo kit. Hopefully everything will be together and good to go in for the spring season.

I really hate that he moved, he had a following of more small *****' with similar cars. I loved the "well your old *** dinosaur car...... bla bla bla".

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
Terminator, he's legit, I've seen some of his time slips, 10.3s at 133+. I think he's been talking about upping the dual stage shot or going to a turbo next. He certainly has a 9 second by just upping the juice. It use to be a dual stage 175 shot if I'm not mistaken. Than a dual stage 225, think it trapped 140 or real close to it. I'm sure he can chime in. Like I said, the car surely is capable of 9.9s.

FWIW, these will help, the stories I was talking about his neighbor, rofl.

First one: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408129

Neighbors rematch, rofl! : https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...2&page=1&pp=20

They should be stickied as probably the funniest street racing, rofl!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by germeezy1
I agree it really sucks, because I was close to buying one. My owner was mad when I bought the Vette but I told him I can't pay $20k over for a GT500. Now I am glad because the Vette is so much better. So much more responsive and aggressive on the throttle, so much more caged beast. And the LS3's with a cam are downright nasty...they are dynoing stock C6 Z06 #'s.
Exactly, I do love the styling on the shelby gt500's. The regualr GT's and all their variations that Ford sells right now dont do it for me, but the GT500 is sexy. Sure its heavier than most would like but man the potential is there. I have taken both a gt500 stock and modded and ive driven my buddies ls2 c6 and stock for stock the ls2 vette was way more fun to drive and handled unreal (z51 package). Once my buddy had the custom pulley swap, full exhast, cai done the shelby was a fun car to drive, really woke the thing up. Both cars have unreal potential, but again as you said who wants to pay 20K over stick for a gt500 when you can buy a ls2 or ls3 vette new for under 50K (at least around here) and then toss the 10K+ you saved into the vette and you have an easy 10 second car with the right build. What color vtte did you go with and was it an ls3?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I found a pretty wicked Heads/Cam/N20 C5 with a built tranny. Its a whole lot of fun and is "capable" of high 10's on spray. My next Vette will be a C6 though or a TT or S/C C5.

And handling wise there is no comparison, this thing goes around the corners like nobody's business!
Old 09-22-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

I found a pretty wicked Heads/Cam/N20 C5 with a built tranny. Its a whole lot of fun and is "capable" of high 10's on spray. My next Vette will be a C6 though or a TT or S/C C5.

And handling wise there is no comparison, this thing goes around the corners like nobody's business!

Damn that sounds like a stout vette! I just bought a house so my z28 was sold last summer, but im def thinking of doing another lsx build in the next year or so. Im debating going with a frc c5 vette or another fbody. Im leaning towards the f-body because im basically going to be looking for a shell (no engine or blown engine, no trans, no rear-end), and basically build it from the ground up. Probably be a built t-56, 12-bolt on an f-body or upgrade IRS components on the vette, fully forged 346 and either a ds1c, large single turbo, or twins. Im basically building it for the street.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could always buy a higher mileage C5 and start from there, in the end you will have the better "sports" car.

And yeah I am debating selling mine right now to get a already built TT or SC car preferably a C6.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

You could always buy a higher mileage C5 and start from there, in the end you will have the better "sports" car.

And yeah I am debating selling mine right now to get a already built TT or SC car preferably a C6.
True, it comes down to the fact that i can get a v6 camaro or firebrid shell for next to nothing while a vette shell is still pretty expensive. If I can find a vette shell cheap enough ill go with a C5 but if not im going to lean towards the v6 firebird/camaro shell. I have seen some under $3K in awesome shape, and that would leav approx $17K-$22K for mods (want to keep it around $20K-$25K total if possible).
Old 09-24-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What engine combo do you think you will go with?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

What engine combo do you think you will go with?
Probably going to go forged 346/347, arp studs, either callies compstar connecting rods or lunati h-beams, diamond or mahle dished forged pistons (not sure if ill go coated or not), stock crank, etc etc. Then for fuel probably 60#'ers and whatever recommend fuel pump. For heads probably just some stage 3 ls6 heads or 6.0 liter heads, whichever fit the build better (not going all out on the heads). Cam will be either custom ground blower/turbo cam or something like the G5XB or GT2-3 by ligenfelter (probably something with a little lope though, not too much). Im going to stick with a stock ls6 intake and ported stock TB. Thinking of going SD tune. Trans would be a built t-56 with textralia clutch. Rear end probably a strange or moser 9 inch, with 33+ spline axles, etc. Exhaust would depend on whether I go DS1c or single/twin turbo. If DS1C then probably kooks 1 7/8th mated to catless x-pipe, and then custom duals run out the back with borla xr-1's. If turbo then obviously turbo manifolds through catless y-pipe to probably a magnaflow exhaust (I like the magnaflow on my z28). The of course the rest of the suspension stuff (not sure if im gonna go QA-1's or asomething like some sam strano revalve bilsteins since it wont see the track much), LCA's, adjustable panhard rod, good brakes (maybe wilwooods if budget permints), subframe connectors, some c5 z06 widened wheels to fit a large tire out back, then a good tire for the street. Probably looking for 550-600 rwhp with the setup, which would be enough on the street for me. All work will def be done by Dez Racing, just need to save up a little more so that i can give them the green light to start looking for a donor vehicle. As you can probably tell ive been thinking about this for a while lol, now I just need to set the ball in motion without the GF killing me haha!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to shoot for 600 RWHP with my next car, sounds like you have it all figured out. Thats the great thing about FI is that you don't have to go that crazy with the heads and cam to make stupid power.

It sounds like a V6 roller will suit what your looking for more than a C5 would.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

I want to shoot for 600 RWHP with my next car, sounds like you have it all figured out. Thats the great thing about FI is that you don't have to go that crazy with the heads and cam to make stupid power.

It sounds like a V6 roller will suit what your looking for more than a C5 would.
Exactly no need to break the bank on heads when some budget ones will work for my application. Yea im leaning towards the v6 roller because ill be able to put more into the car than i will with a c5 roller. I figure 600 rwhp will be fairly reliable and will be more than enough on the street to handle most cars out there. Plus with the rest of the setup I hope to have SOME traction from a dig haha. It will be nice though to be able to dump the clutch and not have to worry about the stock 10-bolt breaking like on my cammed z28.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have any traction from a dig now, may have to go with mini tubs!