Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sway bars or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sway bars or not?

Needing some help on this guys, pretty new at it. So, if I don't ask I'll never find out. Anyway, I heard that removing the front sway bar will provide more traction (For drag racing use). Would it be better to remove it? Also, doesn't the rear sway bar plant the right rear tire to the ground? Need some input and personal experiences on this, thanks alot.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot have said its help and some said it dosnt. Id give it a go, as far as rear leave it stock till the car dosnt launch straight then pick up a BMR drag sway.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:45 AM
11 Second Club

I have run without the front sway bar at the track and on the street. Wouldn't recommend running without it all the time.....makes for some rather interesting driving experiences. At the track it helps.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some people buy the quick disconnect endlinks. endlinks hold the body down to the suspension. removing the endlinks or swaybar allows more body lift off of the front suspension and the weight being lifted is transfered to the rear which plants the rear better. i removed mine completely for weight transfer and weight as well
Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...nce-again.html
Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the link vjo90rs8. I've got my pulled off but haven't had it at the track yet, but thanks for the information guys
Old 02-11-2009, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

I run with my front sway bar off all the time..........infact it hasn't been on in a year.

The car doesn't handle well without it, but I drive slow. I think it is ok, you just have to be more cautious and realize your car isn't gonna take curves. If you are going to do a lot of higher speed crowded city driving I would say to leave it on.

I drive ten minutes to work every day in a rural setting............its not any more dangerous that driving a 4wd or suv around.

if you are prone to do some high speed pulls on the highway, I would say that you would need it
Old 02-12-2009, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

^^^agreed
Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
Needing some help on this guys, pretty new at it. So, if I don't ask I'll never find out. Anyway, I heard that removing the front sway bar will provide more traction (For drag racing use). Would it be better to remove it? Also, doesn't the rear sway bar plant the right rear tire to the ground? Need some input and personal experiences on this, thanks alot.

Hello, if you street drive your car i would not recommend removing the front sway bar completely. Just remove the end links when you take it to the strip the replace them when your on the street. It will help with your weight transfer when they are removed but the car will handle badly for cornering without the bar attached. The rear sway bar isn't much help at the strip. We have an extreme rear anti roll bar which is what you need if your car is inconsistant or has bad body roll. It is streetable but does stiffen the ride. If you have any questions please contact me. As always our advice is free and is available mon-fri 8:30am -6:00 pm est.
Attached Thumbnails Sway bars or not?-xsb001.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Sway bars or not?