Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to get low!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get low!

Well, when I first bought my T/A I didn't plan on doing too many performance mods since it already had a cat back and almost full intake..MY buddy has a 92 Dodge Steal R/T that is on coilovers and also the ground, ever since then I have LOVED the looks of a lowered car, and I'm somewhat curious as to what is the lowest we can go? I mean I know you can get some custom stuff done etc. But I don't have the funds for anything too crazy, and would like to avoid buying QA1's due to the cost..I'm on a $500 budget for this and would like to have the biggest drop possible..so I've read through the thread of which springs do what (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...r-springs.html)
This makes it seem like most springs drop more than advertised, but in most peoples experiences, which have dropped the most?
Thanks guys, and sorry for the pure noobness in this area.
Added a pic of the stealth just for giggles
Attached Thumbnails How to get low!-207601_10150548871385596_840690595_17829277_5177102_n-2-.jpg  
Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Eibach Sportline springs are the way to go if you're looking for the dropped look. They sit very low, but won't perform or feel the best. But whatever, if that's what you want, then do it You should definitely get some better shocks though, since your stock ones won't keep up long with such a drastic spring/spring rate change. The best, cheapest way to go are with some KYBs. I have the KYB AGXs up front and I love them. But, you'll be spending a little more than $500. But post a Want To Buy thread and try to find some used springs. Good luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

By "more than $500" I meant for the springs and shocks-not just the shocks (though actually it will be close).
Old 06-01-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had some sportlines by eibach which was about a 2.25 in lower from stock. Bumped up to the H&R sport springs which is about a 1.25 in drop and love it. Best bet for improvement is shocks first and then some lowering springs. If you put new springs on the stock shocks, your asking for problems. Start with new shocks like bilsteins, then the ground is the limit for lowering. I think there was a thread on here with a guy's camaro or ta almost scraping the ground.

Heres a pic with the sportlines on stock shocks (rode like ****, handled good and looked great)
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

And with the Koni 4/4 and H&R sport springs.(rides great still stiff and awesome handling.)
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

I've got mine stupid low at the moment. 25.5" to the top of the well. Looks awesome but I scrape a little at driveways and stuff. I don't care though. I've got Penske coil overs and it ride's and handle's amazing. I think the only way to get really low and still have it ride and handle good is big money shocks. Koni's at the least. If ya want I could grab a picture.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the input everyone, and the more pictures the merrier, just out of curiosity how much did the penske's run you?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
Eibach Sportline springs are the way to go if you're looking for the dropped look. They sit very low, but won't perform or feel the best. But whatever, if that's what you want, then do it You should definitely get some better shocks though, since your stock ones won't keep up long with such a drastic spring/spring rate change. The best, cheapest way to go are with some KYBs. I have the KYB AGXs up front and I love them. But, you'll be spending a little more than $500. But post a Want To Buy thread and try to find some used springs. Good luck!
Well I'm trying to get dropped for $500, I can deal with up to $750 though, I'm just trying to get long tubes with an ORY and lowered by the time Trans Am Nat's come around in August..
Old 06-01-2011, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

And beyonddisturbed, that is a hell of a setup in the first picture, just the car in general looks very clean. I think it's just that angle of the first pic that makes it look lower, or are they both pretty much the same height?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you're on a budget, why not just cut the stock springs? It sounds like you want looks over performance? Cutting is free...then spend the money on shocks. I drove around for a couple of years with cut stock springs and stock shocks and it rode fine. I had to cut because I had (at the time) bought ZR1s and didn't want the 4x look that these cars have. I have since gone Strano/Koni.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lower than any f-body ive parked next too so far.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrdOPry
Well I'm trying to get dropped for $500, I can deal with up to $750 though, I'm just trying to get long tubes with an ORY and lowered by the time Trans Am Nat's come around in August..
You'll be able to find those KYB AGXs (which are adjustable) and Sportline springs within that price. Like I said, I run the AGXs up front and Edelbrock shocks in the back and I really enjoy the ride and the look with my H&R springs. I ordered my KYB AGXs on justsuspension.com, and with a coupon code that you can find online, w/ free shipping I paid only $104 for each shock!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Lower than any f-body ive parked next too so far.
whytryz28, do you scrape much on steep driveways and things? Whats your ground to top of wheelarch measurements? I'm at 26" front and 26.5" rear. I had my front suspension apart the other day and noticed the top of the balljoint (stock control arms and balljoint) had made contact (on both sides) with the top of the fenderwells. The tops of the balljoints looked 'ok', not damaged, but there are marks were they had hit the fenderwells. Maybe I hit a pothole at some point. Drives fine and don't feel like anythings bent and no vibrations thru the steering wheel.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
I've got mine stupid low at the moment. 25.5" to the top of the well. Looks awesome but I scrape a little at driveways and stuff. I don't care though. I've got Penske coil overs and it ride's and handle's amazing. I think the only way to get really low and still have it ride and handle good is big money shocks. Koni's at the least. If ya want I could grab a picture.
+1 for pictures!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Before install

Installed

Quick pic out the office window. I have them set at 25.5" to the well at the moment and I am digging it. Tucking the tire a bit with some neg. camber
Old 06-01-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

NICE! It's to bad these cars have so much front overhang. My car ('01 Z28) is scraped-upped underneath...
Old 06-01-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I find mine fine low enough the way it is. Any lower would be almost impossible to drive. BMR with KYB adjustable shocks.

Last edited by chaman; 06-01-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^And so you just had to come in and brag about how good your car looks and make us drool. Thanks man, now I have to find a napkin to wipe my mouth!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Whytry..what is your setup??? I LOVE that look man, and having a clean car helps
chaman..just gtfo!!! Jk, thanks a lot for the pics, and those pic made me pretty jealous..the rims are phenomenal..that is a straight tie with Whytry in my book..both very nice rides!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BrdOPry
You need to factor in the longtubes and y-pipe when you are looking at a drop. Those two will become the lowest points on your car and the first thing to scrape.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
whytryz28, do you scrape much on steep driveways and things? Whats your ground to top of wheelarch measurements? I'm at 26" front and 26.5" rear. I had my front suspension apart the other day and noticed the top of the balljoint (stock control arms and balljoint) had made contact (on both sides) with the top of the fenderwells. The tops of the balljoints looked 'ok', not damaged, but there are marks were they had hit the fenderwells. Maybe I hit a pothole at some point. Drives fine and don't feel like anythings bent and no vibrations thru the steering wheel.
No I dont scrape, I have shorties also but the front air dam I trimmed because it was about 3" off the ground at the lowest point.

Ill have to measure the height and get back to you tonight.

Thanks for the compliments also guys. My set-up is more towards looks since its just a daily. I have dropzone springs, factory replacement shocks (the better quality ones) heater hose mod in the rear and upper shock mount mod (cut about 3/4" off the upper spring seat). Rides a bit rough but not as bad as I thought it would with what I did. No scraping unless the speed bumps are pretty huge then I take it at an angle.

Quick Reply: How to get low!