Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need new springs but don't want it lowered

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need new springs but don't want it lowered

What options do I have? I want some good springs but since I have 19's on the rear I don't have room for a drop and it seems all the after market springs are lowering springs
Old 07-30-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

You could look at some adjustable coil overs like Ground Control or LG (not sure if they actually go up as high as stock though). Other than that I think stock replacements are your only options. The stock spring rates really aren't that bad, it's the shocks that suck.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

What makes you think you cant lower your car on 19" wheels? My car is lowered 2" and I'm on 19s front and rear. No clearance problems here.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! When I put longtubes on I don't want the car sitting any lower than it is. My car already scrapes the fenders when I hit a bump. I'm having them rolled Tuesday. I just don't want to have any problems getting in and out of places with the headers on. I don't race it , just weeekend drive it
Old 07-30-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Factory springs really aren't that bad at all; with a good set of shocks, you wouldn't be bad off.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Once again... I don't have any clearance problems with my Hooker longtube headers either. I did however scrape the collector flanges when my car still had the stock 17" WS6 wheels on. Switching to 19" wheels really did help with the header clearance I used to have. Don't be afraid to use lowering springs for your car especially if you're already gonna have your fenders rolled. You'll definitely have more clearance than what I have with going with just a set of 1" drop springs. Like I previously mentioned, my car is lowered 2" with longtube headers and I don't have any clearance issues. A lot of guys here on this site are using 'Strano' springs which is a 1" drop or less.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos64030
Once again... I don't have any clearance problems with my Hooker longtube headers either. I did however scrape the collector flanges when my car still had the stock 17" WS6 wheels on. Switching to 19" wheels really did help with the header clearance I used to have. Don't be afraid to use lowering springs for your car especially if you're already gonna have your fenders rolled. You'll definitely have more clearance than what I have with going with just a set of 1" drop springs. Like I previously mentioned, my car is lowered 2" with longtube headers and I don't have any clearance issues. A lot of guys here on this site are using 'Strano' springs which is a 1" drop or less.
Wow 2" is quite a lot. Strano's spring lower 1.25". I would think the OP issue with the fender "scraping" sounds more like a wheel width, offset, and backspace issue, since rolling the fenders was mentioned. That's a separate issue from scrapping exhaust headers on the ground. Depends on how high the collectors tuck up, how much travel there is in the suspension, where the person lives, and how the car is driven.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

How about Moog replacement springs?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Wow 2" is quite a lot. Strano's spring lower 1.25". I would think the OP issue with the fender "scraping" sounds more like a wheel width, offset, and backspace issue, since rolling the fenders was mentioned. That's a separate issue from scrapping exhaust headers on the ground. Depends on how high the collectors tuck up, how much travel there is in the suspension, where the person lives, and how the car is driven.
This is why I love this forum. You guys have way more experience and know-how than me so its great to get answers. My wheels and tires are off of a vettte. 285 35 zr19's with billet wheel adapters. I'm hoping the new stock springs and fender rolling will do the trick. Current suspension is 12 years old

Quick Reply: Need new springs but don't want it lowered