Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone has repair/service manual with alignment procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone has repair/service manual with alignment procedure?

My local technical inspection thinks I modified mounting holes in K-member for lower LCA's. I cannot persuade them these holes are for alignment. Could someone post a picture from service manual which could prove me right (or wrong)? In my Haynes manual there's no alignment procedures...
Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

attached is a word document from alldatapro.
some mechanics are just retarted when it comes to alignments, all they know is how to turn a tie rod end in and out, but there is alot more than just that.

Most good digital alignment racks with the wheel plates now a days tell you step by step how to do the alignment, the ***** fool proof.

hope this helps....
Attached Thumbnails Anyone has repair/service manual with alignment procedure?-trans-am-alignment1.jpg   Anyone has repair/service manual with alignment procedure?-trans-am-alignment2.jpg  
Old 06-12-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

i think the guy that did my alignment at pep boys did NOT have that special tool and fubared my FEA.......ended up paying for it twice by going to the dealer
Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Undertow74
attached is a word document from alldatapro.
some mechanics are just retarted when it comes to alignments, all they know is how to turn a tie rod end in and out, but there is alot more than just that.

Most good digital alignment racks with the wheel plates now a days tell you step by step how to do the alignment, the ***** fool proof.

hope this helps....
Thanx! BUT, from these pictures it is not absolutely evident that holes in k-member are elongated from factory...
Old 06-13-2012, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, thats the best your going to get and thats straight from alldatapro.
Mitchell has the exact same procedure....

post some pictures of your Kmember where the a-arms bolt in. who knows, mabe the previous owner did elongate the holes for whatever reason to get more caster/camber....
Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i think the guy that did my alignment at pep boys did NOT have that special tool and fubared my FEA.......ended up paying for it twice by going to the dealer
I did alignments for over 30 years, retired in in 2008 there fore I did quite a bunch of Fbody and I never saw a need to use the "special tool", faster and easier to pry the lower contral arm around with a big screw driver
(adjust camber/caster)
just my .02s
Johnny

PS: OP if "local technical inspection thinks I modified mounting holes in K-member for lower LCA's"

get you car get away from that shop, Find a shop with a tech who is smart enough to know how to align autos
( f body/and/ or all other makes)

Last edited by SS SLP2; 06-13-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

guess pep boys just does not know how to do a alignment
Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea its not necessary to have the tool, just makes it easier. i do my own alignments, and like stated above i just use a pry bar/hammer to gently tap and move the arm.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetal
My local technical inspection thinks I modified mounting holes in K-member for lower LCA's. I cannot persuade them these holes are for alignment. Could someone post a picture from service manual which could prove me right (or wrong)? In my Haynes manual there's no alignment procedures...
Here's a PDF print from my GM service manual showing what I think you're looking for (though it still doesn't show that the holes are elongated).
Hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
98 firebird allignment.pdf (59.3 KB, 335 views)
Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes doesn't show I was able to persuade them these holes are like that from the factory. Was very hard though. Crazy...

Quick Reply: Anyone has repair/service manual with alignment procedure?