Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to adjust Koni Lower Spring perch

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to adjust Koni Lower Spring perch

I have the Single Adj. Koni shocks in the front. I installed them about two years ago and now I want to move the bottom spring perch to the lower position to lower the car. I haven't looked at it yet but I remember thinking how in the hell do you move it when I first took them out of the box. Can anyone help me out? And could this be done with them still on the car (safely)? Thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 01:44 AM
TECH Junkie

No, they cannot be done while on the car. You would need to take off the spring to relieve the pressure. Simply put, there are two grooves in the shock housing. Fitted onto this groove is a clip that the spring components rest on. You need to remove this clip (with the spring dismounted) and clip it on the lower groove.

You can see the two grooves with the clip on the upper groove here:

Old 09-08-2012, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the pic!

Wow, doesn't even seem worth it now. What kind of drop will that yield, 3/8"?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It should give about 1/2". I know, looking at it, it doesn't seem that it would give that much. I remember, though, that I measured a 3/4" drop from my previous Bilsteins. It might be less by just moving the snap ring on the Konis.

I also remember being amazed that that little snap ring would hold all the force generated by the spring. But apparently it does ...
Old 09-08-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
It should give about 1/2". I know, looking at it, it doesn't seem that it would give that much. I remember, though, that I measured a 3/4" drop from my previous Bilsteins. It might be less by just moving the snap ring on the Konis.

I also remember being amazed that that little snap ring would hold all the force generated by the spring. But apparently it does ...
This. That amazed me as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
No, they cannot be done while on the car. You would need to take off the spring to relieve the pressure. Simply put, there are two grooves in the shock housing. Fitted onto this groove is a clip that the spring components rest on. You need to remove this clip (with the spring dismounted) and clip it on the lower groove.

You can see the two grooves with the clip on the upper groove here:

For what it's worth.... I was able to do it with them on the car. When I first installed them, i didn't notice the spot to lower the snap ring. While putting everything back together i noticed it, and wanted to lower it. But didn't want to undo everything i just did....

Soooo, i put the spring compressor back on (while everything is completely installed on car), compressed the spring till the spring seat at the bottom was loose enough to raise JUST enough to get at the snap ring. Then moved the snap ring, and removed the spring compressors.

This is all with wheels off and car fully supported by jackstands, of course.

So can it be done? I've done it.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LunaCHRIS
For what it's worth.... I was able to do it with them on the car. When I first installed them, i didn't notice the spot to lower the snap ring. While putting everything back together i noticed it, and wanted to lower it. But didn't want to undo everything i just did....

Soooo, i put the spring compressor back on (while everything is completely installed on car), compressed the spring till the spring seat at the bottom was loose enough to raise JUST enough to get at the snap ring. Then moved the snap ring, and removed the spring compressors.

How's the Strano springs on the lower mount working out for you? Did you do the Upper Mount Mod?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Risky Business
Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Teching In

How's the ride?
It's nice. That's something, I think, that is dependent on how you set the shocks... This weekend I've got some time so I'm gonna set them a little stiffer. Is it different than if the springs where on the upper perch?? I wouldn't know, but I would assume it would be the same. I may be wrong...
It's just a little bit lower than if it where on the upper perch. As it is now, I scrape sometimes on entrances to parking lots and gas stations. And very steep drive ways, forget about those. And creeping over speed bumps sometimes I'll here the exhaust just touch. And on the Naval base that I'm stationed, there's a road I can't even go down because there is 1 abnormally tall speed bump, made that mistake the first week after i got everything on.
But other than that I LOVE THE RIDE, so much better than stock.

Can you tell me more about the upper mount mod????????

And as far as i being risky, I don't think it was. At least no more than when any of us get under or around a car on jack stands. Everything was completely mounted and torqued. The only thing I could see going wrong in this scenario is, that maybe one of the spring compressors fail, but those chances are slim, and that could happen when compressing a spring off the car.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Search for 'JasonWW upper mount mod' - it will give you back that ~1" of shock travel you lost when you moved the lower perch
Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Any pictures of your car with that setup?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
Search for 'JasonWW upper mount mod' - it will give you back that ~1" of shock travel you lost when you moved the lower perch
The only thing I don't like about this is cutting my Koni's...if I have to cut them, I would assume that voids any warranty they had...
Old 10-08-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
The only thing I don't like about this is cutting my Koni's...if I have to cut them, I would assume that voids any warranty they had...
You dont cut the shock, just the upper mount.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You dont cut the shock, just the upper mount.
You have to cut the nub off of the shock itself.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Guitar
You have to cut the nub off of the shock itself.
or just drill a hole through the fender - he explains later in the thread with pics specifically b/c someone with Konis asked the same question(page 7 post 140). Drilling the hole also gives you a place to lube the upper shock mount regularly

Last edited by VinR1; 10-08-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VinR1
or just drill a hole through the fender - he explains later in the thread with pics specifically b/c someone with Konis asked the same question(page 7 post 140). Drilling the hole also gives you a place to lube the upper shock mount regularly
Good catch, but would that present any problems from moisture or anything? I'll probably end up doing that then, as I'd rather not screw up the warranty on the Konis.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, the problem is moisture/water collects in the 'cup' of the mount, has nowhere to go, and leads to tons of rust on the nut and shock shaft. Drilling the hole allows some airflow and a way to lube/grease it without completely removing the spring/shock combo
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

Would also like to see the strano on lower perch setup pics. My car came in pro kit and I live the look don't mind the ride but in corners I would like more . Its in need of socks any way so if I could strano springs give me the stance of eibachs I would swap them out while switching shocks. Maybe lower perch plus heater hose mod would get me close. Would love a fender measurement if you wouldn't mind.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:42 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone ever machine a groove Into the shock body at a lower position than the two already machined Into the shock for the snap ring to seat Into and provide more adjustability of ride height on the konis?

Thinking about having this done.. I'd like more like a 1.5-1.75" drop with Strano/konis. This may be my answer...

Quick Reply: How to adjust Koni Lower Spring perch