Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are Afco shocks worth the money over qa1's

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are Afco shocks worth the money over qa1's

Just wondering if their worth the extra money, I'm building a turbo Camaro that's going to see both street and strip use. Going for 1000whp and a 9 sec car
Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Everyone is going to say yes. Being turbo you won't be super Violent off the line. I thing qa1 or strange preferably would work just fine. IMO
Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen cars that have ran mid 5s in the eighth with QA1 SA shocks. I have never PERSONALLY seen a problem with them, but I have heard of the issues with them leaking and blowing out.

For what it's worth I have QA1 SA on the rear and have had no issues with mid 6 second times with the nitrous set up. I am going with strange SA on the front with the turbo set up so I can't really report on them yet.

A couple of locals have the DA Afcos and are bad *** cars. There are videos of Tim Ozwalt's car going 8.19 with his twin turbo terminator on youtube. IIRC, his username is "fullblown03". If you wish to spend the money you definitely get your moneys worth. Just depends on your budget and goals.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I would go with Strange double adjustable shocks and call it a day. If you're concerned with the shocks fitting into your budget, they really can't be beat.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend is taking his qa1 shocks off and will sell them to me for a good price, he's getting his friends strange da. The qa1's are sa that I may be getting. My friend has cut 1.3's with them on nitrous ans pulled wheels. Do you all think these will work for me?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

To add to my previous post: The deal with drag shocks is weight transfer control. The more settings you have, the more control there is. On a double adjustable, you can control compression and rebound independently from one another. This gives you the ability to control how quickly weight comes off the front, and then how slowly it settles down. Out back, it can determine how quickly the weight is delivered to the tire.

You have to think about how much control you need, how fast you're looking to go, and just how willing you are to mess with your suspension settings. There are many fast cars out there on single adjustables. I always suggest that customers at least run doubles up front with singles in the rear, if they're on a tight budget.

In my opinion, at that power level, you should run doubles at all corners, or DA fronts with SA rears. But, if you can get a good deal on singles, give 'em a shot. If you need more, you can send your shocks out to QA1 and have them rebuilt into doubles.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Afco shocks are bada$$ dirt car shocks, that are easy and cheap to rebuild yourself.
If i was racing on dirt and was afraid to turn right, that's what i'd put on my car.
But as far as a drag car, there are better options. Not trying to step on any toes, that's
just my 2 cents. lol
Old 02-15-2013, 07:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred Flintstone
Afco shocks are bada$$ dirt car shocks, that are easy and cheap to rebuild yourself.
If i was racing on dirt and was afraid to turn right, that's what i'd put on my car.
But as far as a drag car, there are better options. Not trying to step on any toes, that's
just my 2 cents. lol
Actually Afco makes all different version shocks from street, to drag, pro-touring, pro drag. Their shocks are some of the best for drag racing but are more expensive.

If you are getting QA1 single adjustable used at a good price I would use them, they are a good shock. Like Kevin mentioned the double adjustable gives you more adjustment options but will cost a little more.

Quick Reply: Are Afco shocks worth the money over qa1's