Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Afco Rear Coilover Conversion w/ Madman Shock Relocates on 2001 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afco Rear Coilover Conversion w/ Madman Shock Relocates on 2001 Camaro

Well I did the Afco Rear Coilover Conversion w/ Madman Shock Relocates on my car. Just wondered who else has done this and how you guys think this turned out? Let me know what you think.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:36 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have not done this, but am very interested to hear more details. Looks GREAT, OP!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks! What would you like to know?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Im interested as well! Looks great. Im wondering all what was required to fit them (haven't looked under the back end of the car in a while, damn school). It looks like the lower mounting point was added?

Also, if you don't mind posting overall cost thatd be helpful too!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motor Trend magazine did a several car, LT1 Tuner Car comparison, back around '94-'95, when the 4th gens were still "news". DRM (Doug Rippie Motorsports) sent a car to be included in the test, and it had a similar coil-over set up back then....
Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
Im interested as well! Looks great. Im wondering all what was required to fit them (haven't looked under the back end of the car in a while, damn school). It looks like the lower mounting point was added?

Also, if you don't mind posting overall cost thatd be helpful too!
There wasn't much to make them fit. They pretty much slid right in after you weld on the shock relocates (the lower mounting point that was added) to where the bottom mount of the shock would bolt on. What the shock relocates does turns the shock 90 degrees and moves it towards the front of the car a little bit. Madman told me with turning the shock 90 degrees the shock doesn't bind and it's better for the shock. You could call him and ask about that more to get a better answer.

Here are the prices off the top of my head. Prices from Madman change sometimes.

Rear double adjustable Afco's that are Madman valved $362 each
Chrome Afco springs about $40 each
Shock relocates (have to get welded on) from Madman around $45/pair
Coilover hardware kit (top and bottom pieces that go on the shock for the spring) not sure if it was $50/each or $50/pair

Let me know if you have any questions. I think these were all the parts I needed to do this.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an off topic question, but how do you like your stainless works exhaust? It is hard to find many people using their transverse mounted muffler setup.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

As stated, it definitely looks great. Does it "feel" any different?

Also, do you street drive the car? Has it changed its manners or characteristics at all?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Looks good man, I currently have rear DA afcos on the car and i'm converting them to a coilover this winter.

Just wondering who makes the ARB set up like that? looks like the phb is attached with it as well?

you have any photos by the top of the shock where you have to weld in the relocates?
Old 09-29-2013, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wicknewman
This is an off topic question, but how do you like your stainless works exhaust? It is hard to find many people using their transverse mounted muffler setup.
I love it. It's got a really good sound to it. It's not annoying at all on the highway. I can post a couple videos so you can hear it what is sounds like at the track.

On this first video I got out of it after the 1/8th mile because I was running to fast at the LS Fest for not having a roll bar or cage.

Here's a video from outside the car at the LS Fest and again I got out of the throttle after the 1/8th mile.

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
As stated, it definitely looks great. Does it "feel" any different?

Also, do you street drive the car? Has it changed its manners or characteristics at all?
Thanks. My car does feel different but I didn't just do the coilover conversion by itself. This all started when I broke my rear end a year ago from this coming Thursday. So I decided to redo the whole rear suspension at the same time. I put a Moser 12 bolt, the coilover conversion, Strange rear drag race brakes, and a TRZ Motorsports Anti-roll Bar. So it is sort of hard to tell how it affected my car because I put a spool in the rear end, did the coilover conversion, and put the anti-roll bar on all at the same time. I think the anti-roll bar stiffened it up a lot so it's hard to tell how the coilovers changed it.

Yes I do street drive the car. I've put almost 1,000 miles on the car this year in the only 3-3.5 months that I've been able to drive the car. I didn't get the coilovers and the rest of the stuff installed until sometime in May and then I broke my transmission the first pass back to the track on July 3rd and my car sat for 6 weeks.

Originally Posted by BIGsmokey10
Looks good man, I currently have rear DA afcos on the car and i'm converting them to a coilover this winter.

Just wondering who makes the ARB set up like that? looks like the phb is attached with it as well?

you have any photos by the top of the shock where you have to weld in the relocates?
Thanks. TRZ Motorsports makes this anti-roll bar setup that I have on my car. Yes the phb is actually part of the anti-roll bar setup and it comes with it and it is double adjustable. I had a BMR one before and just took it off and sold it. The anti-roll bar completely replaces the upper panhard bar support and just bolts into it's place.

Where you bolt in the top of the coilover is the factory bolt in location. The shock relocates gets welded onto the lower shock mount location. You can see it in the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th pictures where almost a piece of metal is added onto the the lower shock mount location. All it pretty much is a square U shaped piece of metal added to the lower shock mount location.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Oh and another thing I forgot to mention I don't think you could use the factory rear sway bar or an aftermarket anti roll bar that is like the factory one with the coilover conversion because I think the coilovers are in the way to where it bolts in.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

was there a reinforcement plate that welded at the top to give the body a bit more support where the shock bolts up to?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by toadzq8
was there a reinforcement plate that welded at the top to give the body a bit more support where the shock bolts up to?
No there was not.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Got my first 10 second pass on Friday! I didn't care about reaction time since it was test and tune.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:00 PM
FormerVendor

Install looks good! We are getting ready to install a set of afco's soon. Congrats on the 10 sec pass!

Quick Reply: Afco Rear Coilover Conversion w/ Madman Shock Relocates on 2001 Camaro