Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Performance Suspension Over Haul - 1999 SS - Lots of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a side note you should keep an eye on the tubular k member and you are going to want to weld the lower control arm brackets to the rear end. If you guys switch to 315 Hooisers those will move or break most likely.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camarokid91
On a side note you should keep an eye on the tubular k member and you are going to want to weld the lower control arm brackets to the rear end. If you guys switch to 315 Hooisers those will move or break most likely.
Our goal as a manufacturer is to test our products and see where and when a failure will happen. We inspect the car after every event. We are currently running our standard street k-member as well. I do agree with welding, we will leave bolted for now to see the limits of the brackets.

Thanks for looking,
Ryan
Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I have them in my rear LCA's. When greased and tightened they make no noise. I just recently had to regrease and tighten them up because they started to 'click' at lower speeds on decent sized bumps.
So I'm thinking about the LCA's with the roto joints for their benefits next but how often to they really need to be re-tightened or is them being 'loose' just a function of them not being torqued down during manufacturing and the end user is to sinch them down?
If they do work themselves loose over time- even while held with a set srew, can a wicking grade Loctite like their '290' be used on the set screw & the plate driven in with the spanner wrench to prevent them from loosening? - just my thought
Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Heat Seeker WS6
So I'm thinking about the LCA's with the roto joints for their benefits next but how often to they really need to be re-tightened or is them being 'loose' just a function of them not being torqued down during manufacturing and the end user is to sinch them down?
If they do work themselves loose over time- even while held with a set srew, can a wicking grade Loctite like their '290' be used on the set screw & the plate driven in with the spanner wrench to prevent them from loosening? - just my thought
The Roto-Joints have set screw on them so they won't work loose. The are a wear item though, depending on use the Delrin inside can wear. In this case you remove the set screw, turn the retaining ring to the next click and reinstall the set screw. Wear will depend on how much use. We are running them on all 8 rear locations on our '79 Monte Carlo that gets street miles and has been doing quite a few auto-x events the past year. We have yet to need to adjust the Roto-joints yet. We also have many other cars using them.

I hope that helps,
Old 07-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The Roto-Joints have set screw on them so they won't work loose. The are a wear item though, depending on use the Delrin inside can wear. In this case you remove the set screw, turn the retaining ring to the next click and reinstall the set screw. Wear will depend on how much use. We are running them on all 8 rear locations on our '79 Monte Carlo that gets street miles and has been doing quite a few auto-x events the past year. We have yet to need to adjust the Roto-joints yet. We also have many other cars using them.

I hope that helps,

It sure does, thanks!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat Seeker WS6
^What UMI said.
Ive only had to readjust them once so far and they still are silent. I just recently did an auto-x event as well, so the are taking abuse.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
^What UMI said.
Ive only had to readjust them once so far and they still are silent. I just recently did an auto-x event as well, so the are taking abuse.
Glad to hear they are working well for you!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:54 AM
FormerVendor

Here are a few pictures from the Syracuse Nationals autox two weeks ago.

The car ran the 4th fastest time out of 70 cars and we also placed 4th in the shoot out. The clutch was slipping really bad towards the end and that is our next project.

And a little cone damage...nothing rubbing alcohol didn't fix.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like you guys are doing well.
Get a clutch in it & come on down to www.scca-susq.com/ Aug 31st. Next event is a double at Harrisburg Farm Show. I'd love to see how you compare to the 2nd & 4th gen regulars there.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Besides the decals the car looks great lol
Old 08-10-2014, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Leave the rash till the end of the season. LOL I haven't cleaned it off my car in 2 years.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:42 PM
FormerVendor

Leave the rash till the end of the season. LOL I haven't cleaned it off my car in 2 years.
Haha. I agree. But we end up cleaning all cars after every race, that way they look pretty being hauled
Old 08-11-2014, 12:53 PM
FormerVendor

Pulled the transmission and not much left to the clutch. We don't know what abuse or miles it had on it from the previous owner.

New clutch is going in the car this week, we are just waiting for it to come in, twin disc with aluminum flywheel. We are headed to Pittsburgh International Race Complex this weekend for the Ohio Muscle Car Challenge.

Quick alignment check as well. We are able to get a lot of positive caster with the UMI front end. 7-8 degrees positive feels very nice and working well.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

When are the rivals going away? Are you going to run Hoosiers at all?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:05 PM
FormerVendor

When are the rivals going away? Are you going to run Hoosiers at all?
We would definitely like too. However most of the events we run require no less than 200TW to compete. Some Hoosiers would be awesome though..
Old 09-03-2014, 01:02 PM

How did the car perform at the Ohio Muscle Car Challenge?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

What alignment tool is that, and how do you guys like it? Been looking at some options lately because I would rather do it at home. Would make it so much easier to change set-ups for different tracks.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarkM66
How did the car perform at the Ohio Muscle Car Challenge?
The handling was awesome as we had hoped. It's in need of a freshening in the engine bay. Pitt is a big hp track with the sweeping uphill and long straight. We'll probably add 200 hp for next year.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
What alignment tool is that, and how do you guys like it? Been looking at some options lately because I would rather do it at home. Would make it so much easier to change set-ups for different tracks.
It's a Specialty Products FasTrax. Works nicely. We have a Longacre for steel hubs but the face mounted wheel works best with the exterior clamp style.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

subed

Quick Reply: UMI Performance Suspension Over Haul - 1999 SS - Lots of pics!