On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAN! My ride is ROUGH???

Ok here is my setup:

Eibach Pro Kit Springs
SLP Subframe Connectors
Hotchkis Strut tower brace
Stock Shocks

Ok was out on the HWY yesterday and it seemed like I was feeling every single bump in the road. Now some of them were rough too and I don't remember my ride quality being that hard with the stock setup. What could it be? Springs? Shocks? Any help would be appreciated! Oh and I have 46000 miles on it if that tells you anything.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... the stock shocks aren't great for use with Eibach pro-kit springs. You really should get a set of shocks that are matched to them... that would probably improve the ride quality some.

Also, keep in mind that lowering springs are going to give you a rougher ride... anytime you stiffen the suspension, the ride will get rougher, you will feel more bumps in the road. That's the price you pay for better handling.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Well... the stock shocks aren't great for use with Eibach pro-kit springs. You really should get a set of shocks that are matched to them... that would probably improve the ride quality some.

Also, keep in mind that lowering springs are going to give you a rougher ride... anytime you stiffen the suspension, the ride will get rougher, you will feel more bumps in the road. That's the price you pay for better handling.
Yeah what he said.....

But I bet it corners like a bat outta hell!
Old 06-06-2005, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BitViper
Yeah what he said.....

But I bet it corners like a bat outta hell!
It sure does!

Any suggestions on what kind of shocks.....not to expensive!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:44 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi
You have installed stiff subframe connectors and tower brace. This means your chassis transmits vibration more efficently. It is not lost in the flex. Combined with the stiffer spring and you get a harsher ride. In fact, even if you had left the stock springs in you would still feel a hasher ride. I agree with the others and you should get better shocks. If you can aford yellow Koni's, they will do the trick. The next choice would be Bilstein. After that I would say KYB. Anyway, who cares about the ride quality, make it handle and enjoy.

Thanks JA
Old 06-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also look at your bump stops see how close you are to them with the new springs might want to trim them up a bit ..i need to do something with mine also I have pro-kit but added the bilstien shocks sfc so I know what your feeling!!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02blackSS
It sure does!

Any suggestions on what kind of shocks.....not to expensive!
I am using a set of bilstein revalves but I believe Bilstien HD's would work nicely..
Old 06-07-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28

Eibach springs are not significantly stiffer than stock, just shorter.

The pounding being felt is probably the rear sagging and the car riding on or close to the bump stops, yielding very little suspension travel. How much gear do you have in the very back? Even 50 lbs will significantly affect rear suspension travel.

Either remove the bump stops, remove any gear stored in the very back or get stiffer/taller rear springs.

For a daily driver, Bilstein shocks should work just fine. Probably be the last shock you will ever buy for the car ...
Old 06-07-2005, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Eibach springs are not significantly stiffer than stock, just shorter.

The pounding being felt is probably the rear sagging and the car riding on or close to the bump stops, yielding very little suspension travel. How much gear do you have in the very back? Even 50 lbs will significantly affect rear suspension travel.
I don't have any gear in the back, however the back is where I am feeling most of the bumps. I don't notice them too much on the front.

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Either remove the bump stops, remove any gear stored in the very back or get stiffer/taller rear springs.
What type of taller springs?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

I don't have any gear in the back, however the back is where I am feeling most of the bumps. I don't notice them too much on the front.

A nice street setup(At least what I have heard) is the SLP/Eibach springs, they're a bit taller than the Eibach Prokits, a bit softer, and with the SLP/Bilstein shocks that are revalved to complement the SLP springs, you should be pretty pleased, I have read comments from quite a few folks who are happy with this setup.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

2 routes to take ...

A taller spring ...
http://www.pitstopusa.com/SearchResu...ategoryID=4562

Shims to space up what you have ...
http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=23987

http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=23986

These go between the spring and perch so the effective rate of the spring is not altered ...
Old 06-07-2005, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

That is the price you pay for a good supension. My question is on the tires. I have 45 series and a rough ride. I do not believe the suspension is causing all of this. Low profile tires have no sidewall to absorb any road noise, road bumps, and things in general

Feels like your teeth are going to fall out sometimes...
Old 06-07-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Off topic but thats a gorgeous 3rd gen, need-a-z. really makes me miss mine
Old 06-07-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several things that effect the ride quality.
Tire construction (GY GSC are horribly stiff and will never ride smooth)
Tire pressure.
Ride height.
Bumpstops being used.
Spring rates.
Shock valving.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/329705-what-will-i-notice-most-shock-question.html

Since you already know that the rear seems to be the rougher riding end, lets focus on that. Check your tires pressures. Much above 28psi cold tends to wear the centers, reduce grip and make it ride rougher than neccesary.
The shock stocks are a real problem, first they allow the rear suspension to travel too much and second they don't soak up the bumps much at all. Then they also are bad for handling and controlling the body motions etc...

In your case, I bet you are mainly feeling the bumpstop contact. Check tire pressures first, then you might try adding a metal spacer to lift the rear a little as an experiment. I mention it here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/323509-how-make-back-higher-after-lowering-car.html
It's cheap and easy to lift the rear. Don't worry about the looks for now, just get the backend up so that you have some more suspension travel. See if that helps, if so, it means you are hitting the factory bumpstops pretty hard. You can leave the spacers in or just lift the rear enough to look good without lifting too much. Or add some Bilstein shocks to the rear only. They run about $85 each I think and are easy to install. The rear shocks will help the car a lot.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

You guys are a wealth of information! I love this place! Thanks alot!

Quick Reply: MAN! My ride is ROUGH???