Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 brakes for f-bods caliper mount adapter for rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 brakes for f-bods caliper mount adapter for rear

I've seen kits that allow the front c5 rotors to be used on f-bods (UMI kit) but are there any that allow the rear rotors to be used?
TIA
Old 07-28-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are basically the same size rotor so there is no real benefit to doing the rear swap.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that's what I've been finding out too. I thought Vettes offered 13" all the way around, but I guess its only up front?

I've also read that the F body and Vette calipers are the same size, so I guess its just spaced out more to grab a bigger diameter rotor. I've also read that the pistons in the front Vette calipers are a tad smaller given more brake bias to the rear.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:01 AM
Launching!

oh okay. the reason i was curious was that i found a place that sells the 4 GMPP xdrilled/slotted vette rotors with pads for $300. at that price i was thinking why not if i could find the adapters. thanx for the info. oh another difference between the calipers is that f-bods are gravity cast, vettes are pressure cast (bit stronger).
Old 07-29-2005, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I've also read that the pistons in the front Vette calipers are a tad smaller given more brake bias to the rear.

Well.....sorta, it depends on how and where you use that caliper. The Vette caliper is paired with a larger diameter rotor (on the Corvette, in its factory application). That gives it more mechanical advantage against the wheel. So, they use a smaller piston to restore the balance to it's original settings (or to keep it from changing). If you put the Corvette caliper on an Fbody (LS1 brakes) you will shift the bias to the rear slightly (it does not seem to be a great amount, but it will shift), by adding the larger front rotor, you'll shift the bias back towards the front and put it back to where it originally was. Again, it does not seem to be a huge change, but that is why the pistons are 4mm (40mm vs. 44mm) smaller on the Corvette caliper.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

So what if you used a Camaro caliper on a Corvette caliper bracket, with a vette rotor, would the bias be to uneven towards the front? This is what I've been contemplating.

Are the rear rotors really the same size as the camaros?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
So what if you used a Camaro caliper on a Corvette caliper bracket, with a vette rotor, would the bias be to uneven towards the front? This is what I've been contemplating.

Are the rear rotors really the same size as the camaros?
That would shift the bias forward slightly. I'm not sure how much you'd notice, but it will shift forwards somewhat.

If you are using the Bob Bishop (now called Track Brackets) kit, you must use the C5 parts (PAB, caliper, pads) because the holes in the bracket are designed for the C5 hardware which is larger and stronger than the F-body parts. I'm not sure about the UMI kit, I don't know 100% which PAB and caliper it uses (I think it's the C5, but I won't swear to it).

The rear vette rotor is the same diameter as the fbody (or very, very close), the offset may be different (I don't think they interchange), but there would be no performance gain by switching to another rotor that is that close in size and thickness to the original f body rotor.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Could the Rear Vette rotors with C5 calipers fit anyway. I'll soon get the LG C5 kit and see no reason not to go all the way.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Andros
Could the Rear Vette rotors with C5 calipers fit anyway. I'll soon get the LG C5 kit and see no reason not to go all the way.

There is no point in doing the rotors. It's just doing work to do it. I'd stick with the f body rotors (rotors, not calipers as I originally posted) and then read this:

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?a...05&hl=caliper&

Last edited by trackbird; 07-29-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

How about if I get the rear vette rotors but still use the rear LS1 calipers?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmmm, I guess I was confusing the rears with those of the C6 Z06:

http://www.tracyvette.com/2006-chevr...fications.html

Front Brakes 14.0" X 1.3 Rotors, 6 Piston Calipers Rear Brakes 13.4" X 1.0 Rotors, 4 Piston Calipers
Old 07-29-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Andros
How about if I get the rear vette rotors but still use the rear LS1 calipers?

I meant to say earlier (I edited it) that I'd keep the F-body rotors and then look at that caliper swap if you really want to do it.

The rotor is not any larger, it's just a different offset (as I remember) and is not a bolt on fit. You'll do a bunch of work just to get a rotor on there with no performance benefits (same size rotor).
Old 07-29-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah, I see now. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Bob brackets as well as the UMI require the vette caliper parts and fit LT1 or LS1 spindles.

The LG brackets will use either vette or F-body parts, but only work on the LS1 spindles.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JasonWW
The Bob brackets as well as the UMI require the vette caliper parts and fit LT1 or LS1 spindles.

The LG brackets will use either vette or F-body parts, but only work on the LS1 spindles.
Dont forgot that LG brackets do NOt require you to cut the spindles in anyway. So if you had to take the kit back off. It's a simple unbolt and your stock stuff goes right back on.

Quick Reply: C5 brakes for f-bods caliper mount adapter for rear