Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

warped rotors.... need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default warped rotors.... need advice!

hey everyone, my front rotors are warped. its kinda bad, the brake pedal is kinda bumpy when i press on it. i was gonna buy new rotors, but my mom said for christmas she will get me new rotors... 4 of them. so im like, ok cool. but she doesnt like me driving around with warped rotors...i dont either... so shes gonna buy them early. my question is, will i need anything else besides the rotors? and which ones would be the best? and where could i get them from? ive tried to do a couple searches, but i havent seemed to find the answer im looking for. can anyone help me out? i looked at racingbrake.com and it says for the 98-02 they have curved vanes, and says it needs two sets of tooling. i dont really know what that means either. can someone help me out before i buy something ill have to send back? Thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best OEM style rotor - Brembo (available at Tire Rack ---->)

Bang for the buck - most people say the Duralast rotors from Autozone are good for the price

If you want cross-drilled....try Wholesale Direct or Irotors...they both have links over to your right and will often post deals in the "Deals & Group Buys" section

Sam Strano can also offer good advice and sell you what you need ---->

You can reuse your pads if you want, but I would recommend replacing them if they are old. For the street, the GM pads are as good as any and have low noise and low dust.
There are more aggressive options, but they come with drawbacks like noise and dust.

I'll be buying Brembo for my next set
Old 12-01-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id buy the Autozone Duralast rotors. 38$ for the front, 60$ for the rear or vice versa. They come with a 2 Yr. Warranty as well. You might as well get new pads while your at it.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem on my 02 z, just put these on and i love them, can't beat $299 shipped

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/409799-cross-drilled-slotted-high-performance-brake-rotors-pads-kit-299-00-shipped-save.html
Old 12-01-2005, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

have you gotten them turned yet? I know that might seem like a stupid question to some but just making sure.....it would save you a shitload of money....and i know you can get like 3 turns off of them...
Old 12-01-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=rotors
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/te...e_papers.shtml
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/379657-rotors-pads.html
Old 12-01-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, thanks guys. i think i am gonna go with that wholesale performance deal. that sounds really good considering i was gonna pay about that price for just the rotors.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine are starting to give me the braketime shimmy dance.
I tried to turn the rotors a few times on my 2000 v6 and they just went to shat within a month everytime.
Are the Z28 rotors better? Cause if they're the same pieces of crap I wont bother turning and'll just grab some brembo's instead.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont know why people would have their rotors turned when they can get brand new ones for just a little bit more.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GreekGator
i dont know why people would have their rotors turned when they can get brand new ones for just a little bit more.
i've cut my stock rotors twice already and they lasted atleast a year each time....i bought my car new in 2002 and it is still sporting the stock rotors! I dont see anything wrong with cutting rotors....i guess its all your opinion and how much money is in your pocket!
Old 12-02-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GreekGator
I agree, but if there is a warranty involved where you won't have to pay for a resurface, then it's worth it. Another situation would be where it would be no out of pocket cost for labour for a resurface in one's own garage.

But yes, for the money and effort, new rotors.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:12 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What are you guys paying to get your rotors cut? I cut mine myself for real cheap. I need new rotors now too. I am stuck between the wholesale preformance ones and the oe brembos. How are those wholesale pads as compared to the hawks? can the cross drilled and slotted rotors be cut the same way as an oe rotor?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

i got EBC slotted and dimpled rotors. you should get ones that are slotted that way the hot spots arent ever created again
Old 12-03-2005, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by yak
What are you guys paying to get your rotors cut? I cut mine myself for real cheap. I need new rotors now too. I am stuck between the wholesale preformance ones and the oe brembos. How are those wholesale pads as compared to the hawks? can the cross drilled and slotted rotors be cut the same way as an oe rotor?
Yah i cut mine for free at an auto shop i work at.....so i'm kinda in the same boat as you!
Old 12-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Hey, new rotors or turned, you gotta keep them from warping by evenly screwing lug bolts on and then torque them evenly to 100lb/ft. Breaking-in the pads/rotors is the next most important thing.

Enjoy your new brakes UnZfeated