Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque Arm Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque Arm Question

Should the suspension be totally unloaded during this install? Maybe theres a walk through or install guide I'm missing, but I know there isnt one on install university or ls1howto or searching on here.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

You put a jack under the 10 bolt differential, just snug enough where it stays at place. Because once you remove the rear bolts of the torque arm the rear will twist or want to drop - one or the other can't remember exaclty. I think I also lifter the front and rear on jack stands and as said already, I put a jack on the 10 bolt, make sure the jack doesn't hit the 10 bolt cover. Im sure someone esle can give more advice.

I also think you are going to have to remove the strut bar that holds the transmission where you put the tranny mount. Im thinking also you have to have another jack holding the tranny so you can get to the torque arm bracket. Its not difficutl at all, your Hayes manuel is very helpfull too, may want to check that out. Im sure someone else can jump in and correct me if im wrong.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forgot to say lift the car first then proceed to hold the 10 bolt then the tranny.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok, maybe when I do it I will make a write up, lol
Old 01-20-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is from Camaro Performers magazine...

"To install the torque arm, you need to remove the driveshaft. With the driveshaft removed, check the pinion angle. A word of advice: try to do this install with the car at ride height. It can be done on a lift, but it's a little trickier (we learned the hard way, if ya catch my drift). Once you've recorded the pinion angle, unbolt the torque arm from the rear of the car and from the transmission clamshell mount. The OEM bushings are attached to the clamshell mounts by rivets. Grind the rivets off and remove the OEM bushings. Then take the polyurethane bushing and place it in the clamshell. Loosely reattach the clamshell to the tranny. Begin assembling the torque arm. First screw in the Heim joints. Then assemble the pinion angle adjusting set up. Grease up the polyurethane clamshell bushing and slide the new torque arm into the bushing. Then, using the rearend bracket, mount the torque arm to the rearend. Check the pinion angle before reinstalling the driveshaft. Adjust the pinion to its proper position, then secure the torque arm in position and put the driveshaft back in place."
Old 01-20-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really hoep you guys are talking about a tunnel mounted TA. My car was just put on a lift and I unbolted it, took it off then installed the new one. I never uninstalled anything nor did I jack the car up. Granted the lift helped but it was very simple.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z
This is from Camaro Performers magazine...

"To install the torque arm, you need to remove the driveshaft. With the driveshaft removed, check the pinion angle. A word of advice: try to do this install with the car at ride height. It can be done on a lift, but it's a little trickier (we learned the hard way, if ya catch my drift). Once you've recorded the pinion angle, unbolt the torque arm from the rear of the car and from the transmission clamshell mount. The OEM bushings are attached to the clamshell mounts by rivets. Grind the rivets off and remove the OEM bushings. Then take the polyurethane bushing and place it in the clamshell. Loosely reattach the clamshell to the tranny. Begin assembling the torque arm. First screw in the Heim joints. Then assemble the pinion angle adjusting set up. Grease up the polyurethane clamshell bushing and slide the new torque arm into the bushing. Then, using the rearend bracket, mount the torque arm to the rearend. Check the pinion angle before reinstalling the driveshaft. Adjust the pinion to its proper position, then secure the torque arm in position and put the driveshaft back in place."
You don't need to remove the driveshaft to remove/install the torque arm. I know many other posters and myself included didn't remove the driveshaft.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

ya this install is relatively simple and straight forward. i mean its not like they don't give you directions either ways when you purchase it. you will have to drop the axle to get the two bolts out from the top, as well as when you need to drop them back in.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just got done w/ it. Overall cake install. If I werent so lazy I would have done a write up. It took a little longer than it should because I didn't have the correct tools for the job.

(I installed UMI piece btw)
Old 01-21-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98boxer
You don't need to remove the driveshaft to remove/install the torque arm. I know many other posters and myself included didn't remove the driveshaft.
I don't know...I've never installed one before. I was just giving part of an article that Camaro Performers magazine had on an article about 4th gen suspension upgrades.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

hmm..i may have time to do a write up on it when i swap my rearend. mine will be for a chassis mounted one though..ive pulled it out a few times already.

Quick Reply: Torque Arm Question