Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

PA Racing front lower A-Arm Broke...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PA Racing front lower A-Arm Broke...

Anybody else ever have this problem?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where did it break and what were you doing?
Old 02-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First PA 'member I've heard of. Somebody keeping the
tally? That's like 10 aftermarket K-members now, seems
like.

Post up failure-point pix.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
First PA 'member I've heard of. Somebody keeping the
tally? That's like 10 aftermarket K-members now, seems
like.

Post up failure-point pix.
I think he meant A-arm not K mem.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow first 'A' arm failure i've heard about.
More info please.
Hawk
Old 02-07-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know how that A-arm broke and what type of driving was being performed with it, however if it is indeed broken (not doubting what's being said, but rather reiterating it), I now have a conception of why LG motorsports is using boxed tubular steel with their design. I know that it's an expensive and slightly heavier method of making a lower A-arm, however there is amazing amount of load being placed onto that suspension part, so I guess it's critical that whatever design is used must be able to handle the loads applied to it.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

It broke on inner side of the shock mount, on the weld. My wife was driving it at the time. It broke when she went over a street that had been repaved. The street is now elevated a little (2-3 inches), compared to the street it was crossing. Luckily, Jason at PA Racing was nice enough to let me buy the passenger side only.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Foxxton
I don't know how that A-arm broke and what type of driving was being performed with it, however if it is indeed broken (not doubting what's being said, but rather reiterating it), I now have a conception of why LG motorsports is using boxed tubular steel with their design. I know that it's an expensive and slightly heavier method of making a lower A-arm, however there is amazing amount of load being placed onto that suspension part, so I guess it's critical that whatever design is used must be able to handle the loads applied to it.
I'm no fabricator by trade, and not doubting the box design being stronger, but I am not positive its necessary. Tubular A Arms have been used on some stock cars from the manufacturer, as well as tens of thousands of trucks, and lowrider, each supporting their weight and load. If anything, I would think this is pretty much an isolated incident, especially seeing how no one else has broke one before.

Glad no one was hurt, and that your being taken care of.

Charlie
Old 02-10-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAT3
I'm no fabricator by trade, and not doubting the box design being stronger, but I am not positive its necessary. Tubular A Arms have been used on some stock cars from the manufacturer, as well as tens of thousands of trucks, and lowrider, each supporting their weight and load. If anything, I would think this is pretty much an isolated incident, especially seeing how no one else has broke one before.

Glad no one was hurt, and that your being taken care of.

Charlie
For a street vehicle, it may or may not be necessary, however that can only be revealed if someone like me, a material scientist can run several tests for fatigue analysis on both arms with identical test performances applied. I am currently assisting a former classmate with his trials for his MSME, so that's out of the question for my schedule.

One thing I would like to really see weighed would be the stock stamped vs. tubular lower A-arms (a la UMI, BMR, PA, Addco, spohn, etc.) because I've seen tubular upper A-arms weigh more than stock, thus not being efficiently applied for its strength, however I haven't quite got around for the Lower A-arm.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:06 PM
9 Second Club

This is not the first I have seen break. It broke on a drag only car and then the k member went. This is the main reason I would stay far away from any of there products.