Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What do you guys think about the Harbor Freight brand (Pittsburgh) impact sockets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do you guys think about the Harbor Freight brand (Pittsburgh) impact sockets?

The price is so good on these and they do come with the lifetime warranty..
Has any of you guys had dealings with these sockets to they break, strip bolts, etc?
Old 12-28-2003, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Best impacts for any amount of money are Sunnex in my opinion. They're inexpensive and really good quality. Lifetime warranty too. I use mine all day long and never had one break, round out, etc. A lot of the low-price impact sockets are just too cheaply made, being thin and of low material quality. I'm going to guess that the Pittsburgh impacts fall into that catagory.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

I have a set of the pittsburg impacts and they do just fine for me. However, I don't use them everyday, but no problems yet.

If I did use impact sockets everyday (for instance if I were a mechanic or the like), then I would definitely buy a higher quality set. I just cant justify buying a high dollar tool that I seldom use.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Its weird because all of harbor freights tools are cheaper but they have some really cool stuff there. For comparison I went to sears and they had an 11pc 1/2 drive deep socket set that was from 10-21mm or something close to that for 79.99, for the same thing at Harbor frieght its only $19.99. Its very hard to get the craftsman sockets knowing this but the last thing I need is to round off a bolt or some **** in an effort to save money. thanks for the replys so far.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for Sunex
Old 12-29-2003, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Where do you get these sunnex brand tools?
Old 12-30-2003, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll make you a good deal on my Pittsburgh Impact Sockets.
1/2" drive Deep Impact Sockets
12 piece Metric and 12 piece Standard (metric set has 10 pieces remaining, standard has 11 sockets left.)
Used only ONCE!!! On an old Chicago Pneumatic impact gun that only develops 250 lb-ft. of torque!
No need to arrange pick up, I'll flush them down the toilet, and hope they will find their way to your house.

Seriously, the Pittsburgh ones that I bought were a serious disappointment, not to mention a complete waste of money. This is an area where you can afford to spend some more money on tools that will last. Tools should be reliable, not disposable.

Tony
Old 12-30-2003, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bigvic
I have a set of the pittsburg impacts and they do just fine for me. However, I don't use them everyday, but no problems yet.

If I did use impact sockets everyday (for instance if I were a mechanic or the like), then I would definitely buy a higher quality set. I just cant justify buying a high dollar tool that I seldom use.
ditto...
Old 12-30-2003, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can find IR deep impact sockets on ebay for around $40/set I think that's what I'll be getting.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PSU_Engineer
I'll make you a good deal on my Pittsburgh Impact Sockets.
1/2" drive Deep Impact Sockets
12 piece Metric and 12 piece Standard (metric set has 10 pieces remaining, standard has 11 sockets left.)
Used only ONCE!!! On an old Chicago Pneumatic impact gun that only develops 250 lb-ft. of torque!
No need to arrange pick up, I'll flush them down the toilet, and hope they will find their way to your house.

Seriously, the Pittsburgh ones that I bought were a serious disappointment, not to mention a complete waste of money. This is an area where you can afford to spend some more money on tools that will last. Tools should be reliable, not disposable.

Tony
damn used only once geeze,, I bought some but now I fear I may have to buy some stronger ones, Maybe I can use these for my ratchet if nothing else.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
You can find IR deep impact sockets on ebay for around $40/set I think that's what I'll be getting.
The IR impacts are pretty crappy too surprisingly.

Originally Posted by Bigvic
Where do you get these sunnex brand tools?
I get them from a local tool store called Eppys. They'll have an online store in the next few months. I'm sure you could just search Google.com for "sunnex tools" and find some online vendors. Shop around because I'm sure prices will vary.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ive bought quite a few things from harbor freight, i dont trust their tools much, i get a lot of things for home repair i know ill only use once or twice, ever. but it never hurts to have a set of junk wrenches around to heat up with a torch and bend to get to those tough to reach spots

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about the Harbor Freight brand (Pittsburgh) impact sockets?