Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting
View Poll Results: Which Toolbox Do You Prefer?
Craftsman Professional
35.77%
MAC
5.69%
Matco
25.20%
Snap-On
33.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 04:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres two ends of the spectrum with craftsman too. some of there toolboxes, ha. i have a little kiddy one flip top i got when i was 8 or so ... what a peice of **** paint chipped rusted dented to ****. wont open right. probly the smallest +cheapest they offer... but then my dads got one, probly 30yrs old still original paint no dings dents etc. and he takes this one everywhere dirt, mud, truckbed, slammed on cement i have stepped on it(weighing 250lbs) etc.. most of the tools in my garage are craftsman, the profesional series are pretty well built, if you **** one of them up. you probly need one made of 1 inch thick cast iron. or not use the tool box other then holding tools..i use my craftsman's just about every day. the only one i dont like, is this floor model with the smallest drawer being 5 inch tall drawer. reason i dont like it is its the only one that shouldnt be without roller bearings and has the heaviest tools.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Teching In

I just went through all this toolbox picking process.
Not for everyday use, but I like nice stuff.

I heard about HF unit and was very sceptic. After checking it in person and comparing to Husky, Koblat and Craftsman it was clear that HF unit wins hands down.

Craftsman professional units are nice, but their prices was triple what HF wants.
With their 20% off coupon and $400 on sale I got base roller cabinet for $330

Can't beat price quality. Similar waterloo box was $700+

Check HF, I'm happy with that box.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer the Snap-On. I have had it for about 8 yrs and still looks like new. And have repaired a lot of vehicles with it.

It's for sale too

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...28#post5069628
Old 07-02-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, this thread has continued quite a bit since I last checked it. Lots of good feedback, I really appreciate it guys. Still not sure what I'm going to do though. Luckily, I have a few more months in the desert to think about it.

BlkHwk, that is a sweet toolbox, if only it were black.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

I work at a dealership and saw the craftsman pro boxes and they cant hold up to the job. I bought a Matco and it is great. It take all the abuse I give it and holds up like the day I bought it
Old 07-10-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HurricaneZ

I went matco, Matco weighs 200+ more to an alike competitor, that wieght says alot about the construction of the box. I couldn't be happier
That's a nice box.

I have a Craftsman box and it's ok but it's dented and bent up. It still does the job and works fine but I would spend the extra money and buy a nice box. I got my box used from a neighbor that was moving for cheap so it was worth the money but it's time for a bigger box

Last edited by 01 Red WS6; 07-10-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

where's the other brand box - Mac tools representing right here~~~
Old 08-14-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine would have been Mac but Matco made a offer I couldn't refuse.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crazymofo1986
**** matco go mac or snap on.
Mac boxes suck *****.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

and that is based on....... Not to start a flame war here. Just like to hear what everyones opinions are. I already bought mine, and am stuck with it for quite some time....but have yet to have it let me down.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know ive been through this subject so many times with people and i do go with all of the people on the snap on being ONE of the best boxes around...yes they are expensive but they will last ages...i personally own a snap on classic 78 deep drawer 54 inch box and i live in apartments( i have 4 garages though) and i would never go with anything other than snap-on, mac, or matco, my last craftsman box broke so much and dented so easily because of the "craftsmanship" of the thin metal...i guarantee i have ran into my snap on box with air tools or pieces of my car and didnt even make a mark...i got a good deal on my box though..i think they retail for $3595 new and i got mine for pretty much 1700 dollars because one of my friends got demoted at his toyota dealership and had no need for a box so i took over payments.....now on the tool part...screw buying snap on you can get the same warantee as snap on with 1/3 of the price or more...i have the crafstman 500 or 550 piece mechanics set which was around $800 but still for that many pieces in snap on i guarantee it would be probably 5-6 grand...i will always buy crafstman and if something breaks i have a sears 5 minutes away to immediately get a replacement

Old 08-17-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Matco
Mac
then Snap On
In that order. This is my experience talking , not some internet researched bullshit . None of these boxes will make you a better mechanic, But life is easier with a REAL toolbox ...A matco tool box.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

snap on but has to be a KRL series not the KRA series...
Old 09-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

I didn't read all the posts here ... I'm guessing most said Snap On.
Not me. I had a Snap On box and I can't knock it. But, when I broke the third Snap Off wrench, the box (truck box) went flyin'! I don't like Snap Off wrenches, but the boxes are (no where NEAR worth the price, but) good boxes.
I currently own a ('05) Matco, ('69) Mac and a ('00) Craftsman Pro. The latter is my favorite, by far.
My old "standard" Craftsman box, for the house, is nothing like my Craftsman Pro.
These are all good brands. Hwever, when I factor in the price, of the brands I own, Craftsman Pro is the best buy.
My Mac has proven itself.
My Craftsman is in fine working condition.
Surprisingly, my Matco is the worst of my boxes. Two of the drawers drag and the handles keep becoming loose. It's not junk, though. I use it everyday.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

+1 craftsman.
i know that everybody here has 9 million dollar boxes, and they have magical locks and anti gravity drawers, but there is nothing wrong with a craftsman box. ive had that top chest since i started working on cars at 15. i worked on cars everyday until i was 21, and that damn chest has held up like a champ. i got the roll away recently, and it's just as good as the chest(and it was only $200 out the door). sure the drawers don't close themselves, and magically stay shut until you use the retina scanner that hovers above it. but i never made much money, and i try to stay within my means(apart from the GTO, my one vice). so theres no shame in a cheap box. nobody in the shops ever laughed at me for having a craftsman tool chest and the old metal cart it used to sit on. i took pride in my tools as well, even though i only had 4 matco sockets, and craftsman and harbor freight everything else. but i took pride in my work, and i think that should speak volumes more of a mechanic than the badge on their toolbox.i loaded the hell out of that thing, and it's still going strong. so regardless of how sturdy the other boxes are, i like my craftsman. i still use it at least 4 days a week, between my 240 and my side jobs.

Last edited by whatsaholden; 09-04-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently upgraded from a very cheap craftsman 26" chest combo (not even quiet glide slide, I'm talking basic) to a 40" Craftsman Ball Bearing Griplatch 13 drawer lower and 7 drawer upper box. It's DEFINITELY a step up, and the quality is nice, but as compared to some of the Snap-On and Matco tool boxes I've played with, still feels a little flimsy. But, the upper/lower combo was less than half the price of a Snap-On or Matco or Mac lower only. For my at home mechanic self, it's perfect. I just couldn't justify the extra expense of the Snap-On and others when I don't do this for a living.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

I'm in the same boat w/ the Craftsman guys. I've had my Craftsman w/ ball bearing slides and the latching drawers for a few years now. It's been through two moves, including one professional move from Michigan to Florida and still looks great.

I saw plenty of Matco / Snap-On stuff in the garages at Milford. Extremely nice, but way more than I need for a home shop and work that mainly consists of servicing the brakes on my F1-wannabe wife's car (three sets of tires and four sets of brakes in 85K miles )
Old 09-07-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

FWIW the Craftsman pro box closest to my Matco box (size wise, still a bit smaller) the price in my catalog was $3400. My Matco box was $3700, and I got a way better financing rate there than I have on my sears card. I've never done the math, but I'd be willing to bet the C-man box would end up being just as much if not more than my Matco when financing was taken into consideration.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 03NHSilvy
FWIW the Craftsman pro box closest to my Matco box (size wise, still a bit smaller) the price in my catalog was $3400. My Matco box was $3700, and I got a way better financing rate there than I have on my sears card. I've never done the math, but I'd be willing to bet the C-man box would end up being just as much if not more than my Matco when financing was taken into consideration.
Uh ... I don't wanna start a pissing match here but, using the boxes in those price ranges Craftsman and matco, respectively ...
The Craftsman Pro that now, lists for $3450 is much larger than the Matco that, now, lists for $3950.

Craftsman Pro $3450
Matco $3950

Height 42-1/2 in.
Height: 41-7/8"

Width 56 in.
Width: 55-25/32"

Depth 30 in.
Depth: 24-15/16"

Capacity cu. in. 39,939 cu. in.
Cubic Inch Capacity: 26,279 cu.in.

That's not even close.
Am I missin' somethin'?
I uderstand truck credit is great, but those two boxes aren't even on the same planet, size wise.
Not to mention load capacity.

The Craftsman Pro has a load rating of 3,600 lbs.
The Matco has a load capacity of 2,400 lbs.

I MUST be missing something.
Exactly, which Matco box did you buy?

Please, NOTE: I'm not raggin' on Matco. I own Matco tools and a Matco box (it's a cart, really). But, I don't see it.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

My box model is 7525. I don't know exact numbers, but its like 57" wide, 42" tall (plus stainless top, so like 43 or 44" maybe) Depth is around 25", so the c-man box is bigger there and I don't know total capacity off hand. I got mine on sale, it normally sells in the $5000 range I think.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted - Trying to Decide on a Toolbox