User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Updated Classifieds!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
By the same token, since we installed it in early January, people are using the classifieds 15% more (no, that wasn't our intention with installing it - but it seems that people seem to be using the classifieds more?)

I think the "increase" in traffic can be attributed to the different posting styles for each respective forum iteration. In the old classifieds you had to consolidate all of your items in one thread or it would be done for you. I have been advised by XtinctZ28 that...
Originally Posted by XtinctZ28
The problem with holding people to the old rule of only one thread per user, is that it does not work with the new search. Nor does it fit any of the required parameters for starting a new thread. There is no provision to list multiple types of items that will show up in the search.

IB apparently does not want to make everyone condense their threads because that doesn't work with the new system. ....
So now instead of 50 people with one thread each you have 50 people with 2-8 or more threads each that get bumped every day. There's that pesky "increase" in traffic. I'd even venture a guess that the new posting style accounts for MORE than 15% of traffic making the new classifailed section the undisputed champion of crap.

Larry
Old 04-30-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So the abortion is still the same.... I see no fixing it. Nice way to ruin a site.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
The spike in "activity" in the classifieds is due to people actually being able to take out their cars and work on them now with summer approaching, not because of your stupid VB mod that ruined a perfectly fine forum.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
Exactly. It takes many visits to get the same task accomplished. It is being used 15% more because it is inefficient, not because it is popular.
I agree with this, IB..... I have continued to use the classifieds since you ruined it.... VERY Inefficient in searching and listing.... Heaven forbid you fail to select a box, you better have copied ALL your text and info before you hit submit, bc its gonna kick it back and delete ALL you typed!! And it is inconsistant.... One time it MAKES me select an engine type and next time it wont LET me select an engine type. WTF!!!??
As stated before... Just notch this one down to Failed and move on, or post up a poll and get your members' opinions (altho you have 40 pages worth right here). But as with ALL other new adminstrators in any field, you wont post the poll, bc then it will be CONCLUSIVE that your idea was a failure, which is Impossible for a NEW Administrator to Accept.....
Old 05-02-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

These " new classifieds " are much like the " new political agenda " in our great country .... policies get rammed through even when the majority doesn't support " the new agenda " .

Last edited by bearcatt; 05-02-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

these classifieds suck my *****
Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been using it for a while now... Miss the old classifieds.

I can "tolerate" these now.. But want the old ones back.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

why is it when I do an advanced search I can't search just the parts for sale section? I have a choice for parts wanted or "parts classifieds" which = both, which = pain in ***!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

I rarely come on here anymore. Maybe just click on this site to see if I have any PMs. The classified section still SUCKS. Its difficult to use, I cant find anything, anything I search for brings up 50,000 things not even pertaining and even want ads.

Welcome to corporate America! As long as the site gets hits they couldnt care less how it effect people.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:32 AM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
I rarely come on here anymore. Maybe just click on this site to see if I have any PMs. The classified section still SUCKS. Its difficult to use, I cant find anything, anything I search for brings up 50,000 things not even pertaining and even want ads.

Welcome to corporate America! As long as the site gets hits they couldnt care less how it effect people.
From the investigating I've done, it seems a lot of the incorrect results popping up in the search are directly related to the fact that people aren't properly categorizing their items at the time of posting.

if everyone properly did this the search results would be dead on every time. We are using this system on some other sites, and the biggest differentiator is that the members there are putting in some effort on their behalf to ensure all of their postings are properly filled out and categorized. As that is what till truly lead to the best experience using this product.

I see several instances of members creating one thread to sell a garage load of parts. This system is not intended to be used that way, and this is leading to the problems you are experiencing.

Hopefully this message can be heard, and everyone will cooperate to improve the product for one another.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

^^^thanks for that clarification. So what does someone do that has multiple parts? Multiple threads is the only thing that comes to mind, based on what you said.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robb M.
From the investigating I've done, it seems a lot of the incorrect results popping up in the search are directly related to the fact that people aren't properly categorizing their items at the time of posting.

if everyone properly did this the search results would be dead on every time. We are using this system on some other sites, and the biggest differentiator is that the members there are putting in some effort on their behalf to ensure all of their postings are properly filled out and categorized. As that is what till truly lead to the best experience using this product.

I see several instances of members creating one thread to sell a garage load of parts. This system is not intended to be used that way, and this is leading to the problems you are experiencing.

Hopefully this message can be heard, and everyone will cooperate to improve the product for one another.
Yes in a perfect world this new setup would work ok, but at this point it's obvious that people here just aren't going to do it right every time and it has turned our once useful classifieds section into a clusterfuck.

I just don't understand why you guys won't change it back. We've been over the pros and cons of the switch and it's very clear that the majority of us would be happy with it.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Multiple threads is the only thing that comes to mind, based on what you said.

Exactly. Which would still make the section suck because your thread would be off the first page in a couple minutes, if that. Whereas with the old section, you could put multiple types of parts in the title which makes searching for stuff much easier than going through several pages of random one-part threads.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Originally Posted by Robb M.
...I see several instances of members creating one thread to sell a garage load of parts. This system is not intended to be used that way, and this is leading to the problems you are experiencing.

Amazing that you would find these "instances" of multiple items in one thread, since condensing all items into one thread has been a forum rule here for years.

I find it amusing that there is "investigating", and Q & A with members going on now, but not prior to the change.

You (IB), have hidden the classifieds stickies from sight, created a system that does not work with some of the current rules, have never released an updated set of instructions or rules clarifying which of the rules have changed and which have not, yet come in here and basically say that the mess and confusion is our members fault for not doing it right?

People are just trying to follow the rules they know and have followed for years.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by XtinctZ28
Amazing that you would find these "instances" of multiple items in one thread, since condensing all items into one thread has been a forum rule here for years.

I find it amusing that there is "investigating", and Q & A with members going on now, but not prior to the change.

You (IB), have hidden the classifieds stickies from sight, created a system that does not work with some of the current rules, have never released an updated set of instructions or rules clarifying which of the rules have changed and which have not, yet come in here and basically say that the mess and confusion is our members fault for not doing it right?

People are just trying to follow the rules they know and have followed for years.
Damn skippy!

And that rule served a good purpose too. It makes the section much easier to control and gave everyones ads a lot more views.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Didn't realize there was this thread until today. The search boxes on the left automatically hide so I can't use them. the LSx and Non-LSx links don't work so if I want to search for something I have to muddle through tons of crap and my search criteria ends up being a sentence sometimes.

What's the issue with making a LSx and Non-LSx section and then breaking it out from there with whatever your latest wet dream is?
Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I've tired using the new classified sections for parts and LSX cars.

But what I have not understood:
WHY IS NO ONE FROM IB WILLING TO GIVE US A REASON AS TO WHY THEY ARE NOT CHANGING IT BACK?

No excuse internet brands. You screwed up now fix it. Can we get some sponsors to support us in fixing this error by IB?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Teching In

IB is going to do what makes them the most money. They don't care about you.

The sponsors would rather you NOT be able to find the used parts from private sellers. This will push people to buy from sponsors.

Its all about the money.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rclark
IB is going to do what makes them the most money. They don't care about you.

The sponsors would rather you NOT be able to find the used parts from private sellers. This will push people to buy from sponsors.

Its all about the money.
You hit the nail on the head here. Maybe someone should start a new sight?
Corporate America at its finest.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:51 PM
IB Staff

The new marketplace is not a financial decision. It's one that has been well received on every site but LS1.

I am sort of new around here, and to this thread. But I have had success in modifying the product to suit the demands of other communities.

We (IB) are not able to remove the product, but I will do all I can to help perfect it for your use.

cheers,
robb

Quick Reply: Updated Classifieds!