User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Updated Classifieds!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:09 PM
IB Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally understand 01ssreda4. That rule definitely needs to change simply due to the way this product functions.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robb M.
Having done that, and looking at how things are set up, I can see one problem immediately.

It's the Engine Type section causing all the search relevancy issues. If that is changed up, to be a single selection type, as we get new listings the results will improve.
So, that said, what are all the possible Engine Type possibilities?
Well list them all as individual choices which will allow the same functionality, but keep things searchable.

cheers,
robb
really it needs to be like this site.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82

look at their section and mimic that in a way to benefit us. however for engines there needs to be a seperation of ls1, then lt1,sbc,and bbc lumped together.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

And if a person has 10-20 parts for sale which happens a lot.... no one wants to make a new thread for each individual part... I sure wouldnt want to. Having them all in one thread is easy to manage. If I had 10+ posts I would never find them all to check if anyone is commenting on them. Some people list lots of parts in one thread, sometimes 50 or more. No way on the individual thread thing for me......pain the the a$$. The old search was fine, type in what you want and bam! its there.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
And if a person has 10-20 parts for sale which happens a lot.... no one wants to make a new thread for each individual part... I sure wouldnt want to. Having them all in one thread is easy to manage. If I had 10+ posts I would never find them all to check if anyone is commenting on them. Some people list lots of parts in one thread, sometimes 50 or more. No way on the individual thread thing for me......pain the the a$$. The old search was fine, type in what you want and bam! its there.
Exactly.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 AM
IB Staff

The problem with listing 20 parts in one thread, is that nobody can tell what's listed there without opening the thread. Stuff can't be found easily by searching that way either. By breaking the part sales into separate threads, it's infinitely easier to browse through parts by category, or search and find exactly what you're looking for without having to weed through a million threads with 9 million items.

rons 00z, i will take a look at that site, thanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

The problem with listing 20 parts in one thread, is that nobody can tell what's listed there without opening the thread. Stuff can't be found easily by searching that way either. By breaking the part sales into separate threads, it's infinitely easier to browse through parts by category, or search and find exactly what you're looking for without having to weed through a million threads with 9 million items.

not so much
you obviously have not had to use the forums you work on to actually find things its the biggest pain in the *** ever I'd rather read through 30 posts with multiple items then read through 400 to find something that might not have been listed properly because the guy got tired of listing after the 50th thread what do you mean you cant find stuff listed that way? all you do is do an advanced search in the parts for sale section for the item your looking for and even if its with 7000 other things for sale it will still pop up as a result in the search. The only thing this design is good for is "boosting" traffic do to the fact you need to do everything 20x compared to before

just curious what are some of these other sites that this worked so well on?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:56 AM
IB Staff

ron, i checked out yellowbullet. I simply do not find that style to be user friendly at all.

camaroz28383, two of the larger sites that have really taken to the new marketplace system are 6speedonline.com and ford-trucks.com.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

You are wrong here. When a person lists a bunch of parts the title is irrelevant. When Im searching for a part I need, I typed that in the old search feild and it brings up every post with what I typed in it. So if the title was "Lots of parts" and im looking for a headlight assembly I type in "headlight assembly and the post "lots of parts" will pop right up.

If im selling 20 parts, Its impossible to keep track of all 20 posts. If someone asks a question in one i'll never know because 20 is too much to manage. 1 post is easy.... its worked for years and people liked it.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Try using the search feature for something you actually need. When the "Lot's of parts for sale" thread comes up, not only is the item you searched for in that thread, but the item is in red highlight! How much easier can it be?

Also, why don't you try listing 50+ different items in as many threads and keep track of it all. Who has time for that? I certainly don't, and neither does anyone else. It makes it easier to list items for the seller and the forums don't get flooded with a thousand different threads. What if a couple guys who are parting out their cars decide to start listing items at the same time? If you are just scrolling through the forum looking for what's out there, by the time you've looked at a thread and went back to the listing there could be 30 more posts and you wouldn't know where you left off. That's why these rules were put in place to begin with.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I applaud you guys on fighting the good fight, but its obvious they dont care about how the for sale threads are. They are going to do what they are going to do. I just stopped reading them and posting in them.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss1129
I applaud you guys on fighting the good fight, but its obvious they dont care about how the for sale threads are. They are going to do what they are going to do. I just stopped reading them and posting in them.
Yeah, some people care what happens to this site. Unlike the current owners.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

ron, i checked out yellowbullet. I simply do not find that style to be user friendly at all.
are you kidding me? seriously dude if you think this site is user friendly compared to yellowbullet you obviously live in a cave. we're car guys not computer geeks. we dont want search functions and special search applications we need organization just like a tool box. like that site or the old setup for example. the search function sucks on this site and will never work with this new classifieds section. theres a handfull of reasons on why this setup just flat out sucks. yet the only things IB is told to say is we'll make it work. in all reality you guys havnt provided jack **** to make it better. what you need to do is just be honest about it. simply say we dont give a **** what you guys think because we're just going to do what we want anyway. then lock the thread. at least then we'll have closer on this topic.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just looked at you user friendly sites that have this style and i got two issues with it right off the bat. for one i went half way down the page and noticed that on PAGE ONE halfway down they have posts from YESTERDAY. scroll through ls1tech and tell me what page you'll find a yesterday post. i'll bet it's page 3 or 4....that alone shows the traffic they have in that section isnt comparable in the least and it has half the members. the fordtrucks site has alot of members but their classifieds section is even worse with updates. my point is it's obvious by the lack of traffic in those sections that the example of them is pointless since their sections dont get used with the same volume as ls1-tech.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rons 00z
i just looked at you user friendly sites that have this style and i got two issues with it right off the bat. for one i went half way down the page and noticed that on PAGE ONE halfway down they have posts from YESTERDAY. scroll through ls1tech and tell me what page you'll find a yesterday post. i'll bet it's page 3 or 4....that alone shows the traffic they have in that section isnt comparable in the least and it has half the members. the fordtrucks site has alot of members but their classifieds section is even worse with updates. my point is it's obvious by the lack of traffic in those sections that the example of them is pointless since their sections dont get used with the same volume as ls1-tech.
Due to this abortion...LS1tech's classified will soon be that slow also
Old 05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
IB Staff

I asked you guys for a list of all engine choices and their combinations many posts ago, and nobody has offered any help.

This one change will make the search results immeasurably better, does anyone have the answer?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
IB Staff

Having done that, and looking at how things are set up, I can see one problem immediately.

It's the Engine Type section causing all the search relevancy issues. If that is changed up, to be a single selection type, as we get new listings the results will improve.
So, that said, what are all the possible Engine Type possibilities?
Well list them all as individual choices which will allow the same functionality, but keep things searchable.

cheers,
robb
Please give me all the engine type possibilities so that this can be fixed.

cheers,
robb
Old 05-17-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Please give me all the engine type possibilities so that this can be fixed.

cheers,
robb
Its everything.... all parts for all cars that have certain type engines. Unless you know about all the parts.... the only real way to cure the current problem is make it like it was.....there was no problem.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:04 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Its everything.... all parts for all cars that have certain type engines. Unless you know about all the parts.... the only real way to cure the current problem is make it like it was.....there was no problem.
These are the current options:

We need to break that down into a list of single choices. Right now a user can choose 2 of those options when they create a thread, we need to restrict it to one choice.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

These are the current options:

We need to break that down into a list of single choices. Right now a user can choose 2 of those options when they create a thread, we need to restrict it to one choice.
I dont see how that is even relevant to the problem. ??

Heres my analogy of the situation for you.... Say we have a car that rolls, runs and drives...Goes over hills on its own power. You come along and take the wheels, axle, hubs completely out of it and are telling us this is the best way to push it up over a hill and we can improve it in its current form and make it work with out putting the key components back on. And now with all the problems presented to you, you're worried about what radio stations come in the best.

No offense.... but you just cant see the light sitting in your closet.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

.....nice

Quick Reply: Updated Classifieds!