Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Cop shoots motorcyclist in the back...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Pulling over right away isn't alluding. WTF part of that don't you understand?
Woah take it easy there buddy.. Don't get your panties in a wad. No need to get all tight over something that doesn't involve either one of us.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got your panties right here boy!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

RedHot, I don't know how life is in Chicago, but here in L.A there are a lot of people who would shoot at a cop without hesitation and there are certain parts of L.A where they will have a gun drawn in the same situation, the cop was following them, they took off at a rapid rate and the one did not "pull over" as you put it, he stopped in the middle of the road. He did stop which is understandable, but the cop would have his nerves on high alert considering the situation. Are we expecting the cop to be a complete robot? If so we might as well replace all officers with robots to act to complete protocol as they would have no emotional response to anything and would act accordingly, if that's the case then next time any of us gets pulled over we won't have the cool cops to let us go because we want machines to go exactly by protocol.

bigt and nalmak and myself agree everything up until the shooting was justifiable, the only thing I personally think was not right, other than the fact that he had discharged his service weapon, was leaving his sirens going which does serve as a distraction. Anytime I get pulled over I just place my hands out the driver side window of my car so they don't get any idea that I am up to something.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 AM
Teching In

seems to me like he was trying to protect and serve himself, not the public as is his job, which makes me think the bigger problem was his attitude about being a cop. the guy was sitting down with his back to the officer who is apparently in shooting stance with gun drawn, probably behind his door, how is this threatening? even if he had a gun he'd have to get off the bike and turn around to use it properly. i can respect the dangers police face on the job, but this just wasn't it. the police are there to protect us, we shouldn't fear for our lives wheneve

i got nothing against police. in fact i even know an officer that had to discharge his weapon in the line of duty. He's an excellent officer and tried every means possible to avoid shooting the guy but the guy persisted and so he was shot as a LAST resort, not as a best option. someone pulled over by the police doesn't automatically become the enemy, they are still the public which they are to protect and serve.

also, to whoever said they should've shot him in the leg. any situation that warrants discharging of the firearm, warrants a shot to kill. if it doesn't warrant a shot to kill, then you shouldn't be shooting in the first place. a discharging a firearm for police is supposed to be a last resort LETHAL option and nothing else.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very well said, and that's EXACTLY how that cop and all others should react. Anyone who doesn't agree with that needs to learn about morals and how to treat people. This is the way police are trained to work and that's what they need to do in a situation like that. And it doesn't matter if it's a large city or a small town, this is America not some non-democratic country.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Every cop doesn't pull a cop on someone for a traffic stop when they are compliant. You guys don't know what you're talking about, even the law enforcement experts disagree!
Had to laugh at the image of a cop pulling a miniature version of himself out of his holster.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by APG12
This was not a "routine" traffic stop. He was only compliant AFTER he attemted to elude the officer and AFTER his buddy wrecked.
And after getting shot.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hotpocket
seems to me like he was trying to protect and serve himself, not the public as is his job, which makes me think the bigger problem was his attitude about being a cop. the guy was sitting down with his back to the officer who is apparently in shooting stance with gun drawn, probably behind his door, how is this threatening? even if he had a gun he'd have to get off the bike and turn around to use it properly. i can respect the dangers police face on the job, but this just wasn't it. the police are there to protect us, we shouldn't fear for our lives wheneve

i got nothing against police. in fact i even know an officer that had to discharge his weapon in the line of duty. He's an excellent officer and tried every means possible to avoid shooting the guy but the guy persisted and so he was shot as a LAST resort, not as a best option. someone pulled over by the police doesn't automatically become the enemy, they are still the public which they are to protect and serve.

also, to whoever said they should've shot him in the leg. any situation that warrants discharging of the firearm, warrants a shot to kill. if it doesn't warrant a shot to kill, then you shouldn't be shooting in the first place. a discharging a firearm for police is supposed to be a last resort LETHAL option and nothing else.
You have some very valid points, but the officer's job is to protect himself before anyone else.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
RedHot, I don't know how life is in Chicago, but here in L.A there are a lot of people who would shoot at a cop without hesitation and there are certain parts of L.A where they will have a gun drawn in the same situation, the cop was following them, they took off at a rapid rate and the one did not "pull over" as you put it, he stopped in the middle of the road. He did stop which is understandable, but the cop would have his nerves on high alert considering the situation. Are we expecting the cop to be a complete robot? If so we might as well replace all officers with robots to act to complete protocol as they would have no emotional response to anything and would act accordingly, if that's the case then next time any of us gets pulled over we won't have the cool cops to let us go because we want machines to go exactly by protocol.
There are only a few idiots dumb enough to shoot at cops, in any state. Cops are trained to be on"high alert" ALL THE TIME and are supposed to keep their cool in ALL situations, we are well beyond the times where we had civilian cops who made normal mistakes. Officers are judged to a professional standard.

This officer was scared, panicked, or as Redhot pointed out, carried the hard-*** attitude. Anyway you look at it, he failed and I'm sure his sergeant wouldn't want the public to associate his actions with the rest of his department.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

You have some very valid points, but the officer's job is to protect himself before anyone else.
Protect himself from a guy sitting on his bike and being compliant? You sure can't determine what's really going on in the video. It's a good thing they don't give you a gun, there would be a lot of dead or severely injured innocent people.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Protect himself from a guy sitting on his bike and being compliant? You sure can't determine what's really going on in the video. It's a good thing they don't give you a gun, there would be a lot of dead or severely injured innocent people.
I have lots of guns.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now that's scary, good thing you live a longggggggggggg way from me!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Teching In

the officer has the right to defend himself just like anyone else, but his JOB and the reason he is a police officer is to protect and serve the public, not himself. an officers first duty is to uphold the law and the safety of the public as per the oath they take to become an officer.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CyberGrey Z28
There are only a few idiots dumb enough to shoot at cops, in any state. Cops are trained to be on"high alert" ALL THE TIME and are supposed to keep their cool in ALL situations, we are well beyond the times where we had civilian cops who made normal mistakes. Officers are judged to a professional standard.

This officer was scared, panicked, or as Redhot pointed out, carried the hard-*** attitude. Anyway you look at it, he failed and I'm sure his sergeant wouldn't want the public to associate his actions with the rest of his department.
Yes he was very emotional about the situation I am in no way denying that, but my point was that there will be an emotional response whether it be large or small, it is human nature. As far as people shooting at cops from the LAPD officers I have spoke to they say it happens more often than you think. Whatever the case may be, this **** happened the cop got punished, and the dude is now paralyzed, can we change this? Nope, but we can see how they can adjust the screening process for LEO's.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Very well said, and that's EXACTLY how that cop and all others should react. Anyone who doesn't agree with that needs to learn about morals and how to treat people. This is the way police are trained to work and that's what they need to do in a situation like that. And it doesn't matter if it's a large city or a small town, this is America not some non-democratic country.
This has absolutly nothing to deal with morals and how to treat people...this was a split second decision that someone made and now we have all the time in the world to tear the situation apart...think of your decision on the subject...how long did it take you to come up with a verdict...and now you have spent the last 3-4 pages arguing with people basically telling them that if they think any other way than the guy should rot in jail for the rest of his life than they are just as bad of a person as he is...

As for the non-democratic country comment I prolly shouldn't go there cause I would slam you pretty hard and give you a new outlook on things and prolly **** off too many people here so I won't...
Old 05-20-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hotpocket
the officer has the right to defend himself just like anyone else, but his JOB and the reason he is a police officer is to protect and serve the public, not himself. an officers first duty is to uphold the law and the safety of the public as per the oath they take to become an officer.
That's 100% correct. And getting in a chase is going against the law, as well as endangering the public. So I am pretty sure that is why his weapon was out.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As has been stated on here multiple times I agree with everything the officer did, up until he pulled the trigger. Hindsight is 20/20, but I agree that the officer should not have discharged his weapon. What I don't agree with is all of this bashing on LEO's. Now I understand that some of you have had past events that will make you heavily biased when it comes to this kind of thing, but you must all remember that for every bad story that is reported, there are thousands of good stories that go unreported. To say that all or most LEO's are bad individuals that abuse their power is very wrong. I read a story in the paper this morning, long story short, an officer was shot during a routine traffic stop by the passenger of the car he had stopped. The guy just jumped out and opened fire. The officer was hit in the abdomen and will survive. This is the kind of garbage that LEO's have to deal with, so your damn right they should always be ready for anything, whether it be by having their hand on their weapon or having it drawn. For anyone to say its over the top to draw your weapon during a traffic stop is absurd. If an LEO feels the need to draw his weapon he should do so with no hesitation, however actually pulling the trigger is a whole different discussion. We can all sit here and argue back and forth, but at the end of the day no one is going to be happy or satisfied. I do feel however that if people are going to keep making threads on the "bad" examples of LEO's they should expect to see new threads of LEO's being hero's and making the right split second decision. But that would just clutter up the section so I won't do that.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blk98ls1
As has been stated on here multiple times I agree with everything the officer did, up until he pulled the trigger. Hindsight is 20/20, but I agree that the officer should not have discharged his weapon. What I don't agree with is all of this bashing on LEO's. Now I understand that some of you have had past events that will make you heavily biased when it comes to this kind of thing, but you must all remember that for every bad story that is reported, there are thousands of good stories that go unreported. To say that all or most LEO's are bad individuals that abuse their power is very wrong. I read a story in the paper this morning, long story short, an officer was shot during a routine traffic stop by the passenger of the car he had stopped. The guy just jumped out and opened fire. The officer was hit in the abdomen and will survive. This is the kind of garbage that LEO's have to deal with, so your damn right they should always be ready for anything, whether it be by having their hand on their weapon or having it drawn. For anyone to say its over the top to draw your weapon during a traffic stop is absurd. If an LEO feels the need to draw his weapon he should do so with no hesitation, however actually pulling the trigger is a whole different discussion. We can all sit here and argue back and forth, but at the end of the day no one is going to be happy or satisfied. I do feel however that if people are going to keep making threads on the "bad" examples of LEO's they should expect to see new threads of LEO's being hero's and making the right split second decision. But that would just clutter up the section so I won't do that.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's the same in any thread about LEO. It's always one sided. No one wants to hear any other perspective.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blk98ls1
It's the same in any thread about LEO. It's always one sided. No one wants to hear any other perspective.
:h eadbang:

Quick Reply: Cop shoots motorcyclist in the back...