Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Cop shoots motorcyclist in the back...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nalmak
It's not speculation. It does happen, and officers get killed for it. I have no problems whatsoever with this officer and what he did. The only thing that is debatable is the shooting.
Nalmak...are you an idiot!!!! I also don't have a problem with the cop pulling them over, but "the only thing debatable" you refer to, is the direct cause of this guy being paralyzed for life!!! All he did was turn around to look. If I was in the same situation, I would have turned around too!

He was never in full compliance, hands were never in the air, never put the kick stand down, so what I am GUESSING is the officer thought he was non- compliant on purpose. He had no before hand knowledge, the driver was high or drunk.
So your solution if he were to flee, would be to shoot him in the back! I think that if the guy all of a sudden got off his bike, then that could have been something that would have presented a danger to the cop

You don't shoot someone in the back to gain their compliance; you shoot them if your life or someone else is in IMMEDIATE danger!!!

I mean really...imagine getting pulled over and the cop asking for your registration. You're a little nervous and without thinking, reach over to your glove box, and the cop shooting you because he said he thought you were reaching for a weapon. Yeah, that's comforting!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
what does drawing a gun and shooting a guy in the back have to do with preventing a biker from running someone over? Didn't he already stop that from happening when he pulled them over? After the "pull-over" the added bullet to the back changed nothing as far as prevention from running somebody over... course, in the long run, since the guy can't ride or walk anymore, I suppose I see your cop justice of "preventing it from happening"...

A couple years and a fine?
I really think that you just glance read. You don't truly read and analyze what you are posting or what has been posted by other people. You have tunnel vision with this topic and it's understandable. That is why I won't argue with you....

redhotg8...Those are some great post and gave me some perspectives on the situation that I hadn't thought about...Although I have to admit that as I read and analyzed the posts it seems that some of the articles that have been posted have some untruthful information in them...such as the bikers toying with the cops for instance wasn't mentioned in the testimony...the testimony made it seem like the entire event was what we saw in the video and if that is the case I say the guy deserves life...
Old 05-18-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
That's okay you have no problems with it, as long as you are okay with being a dumbass. Did you see post 53 and 54?
Did you actually read to which incident those posts were for?

I understand where Nalmak is coming from, but hopefully when we go through Academy for CHP we both remember proper protocol lol.

The incident sucks, and RedhotG8 thank you for posting that info, takes away a lot of the "speculation" of the incident. I agree though that it was way off once I had read that he left the sirens on, that **** is pretty loud and of course if any of you have been drunk or high, loud noises kind of drown out normal noise lol. Something the officer did not know but still should have been more cautious with his firearm, there is a fine line between a cop and a criminal.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thecobrahunter
Nalmak...are you an idiot!!!! I also don't have a problem with the cop pulling them over, but "the only thing debatable" you refer to, is the direct cause of this guy being paralyzed for life!!! All he did was turn around to look. If I was in the same situation, I would have turned around too!

So your solution if he were to flee, would be to shoot him in the back! I think that if the guy all of a sudden got off his bike, then that could have been something that would have presented a danger to the cop

You don't shoot someone in the back to gain their compliance; you shoot them if your life or someone else is in IMMEDIATE danger!!!

I mean really...imagine getting pulled over and the cop asking for your registration. You're a little nervous and without thinking, reach over to your glove box, and the cop shooting you because he said he thought you were reaching for a weapon. Yeah, that's comforting!!!!
Ok, questionable then. I'm not the officer, so I can't tell you if I thought it was justified or not. Obviously, a jury will decide his fate, and rightfully so. Am I saying all cops are angles and saints? Hell no, there are some terrible people that should not hold a badge at all. But, when it comes to that split second, when either you shot or don't shoot it becomes debatable if that officer was justified in his shooting, unless there is clear cut evidence to say otherwise. That's all I am saying.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
That's okay you have no problems with it, as long as you are okay with being a dumbass. Did you see post 53 and 54?
Again I have no problems with everything, up until the officer fired his gun. I did read posts 53-54, but for every law enforcement official that says that there will be another to counter. You should know that.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

i agree with nalmak. I agree with everything the cop did, UP UNTIL HE PULLED THE TRIGGER. should he have his gun drawn? hell yes, i would have too. Who knows what he has in the waistband of his pants. You cant see his hands. But in that moment, he had to make a split decision reaction. Was it the right one in hindsight? no, but we all have perfect vision in hindsight. Should we say we hate all cops because of one mistake? no. I know MANY cops personally and they are mostly great people.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

So you're both alright with a cop that pulls you over and points a gun at you? I think you both are few cards short of a full deck.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
So you're alright with a cop that pulls you over and points a gun at you? I think you are few cards short of a full deck.
if i was running from the law.. then i believe this gives the cop reason to believe that you are hiding something/have a warrant/or have to run for a reason. Lets just say that guy has a warrant. Who knows what he's willing to do to get away from you.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

The guy pulled over right away, that isn't running from the law. Even the law enforcement experts saw that, you are only speculating.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The guy pulled over right away, that isn't running from the law. Even the law enforcement experts saw that, you are only speculating.
I'm not condoning the shooting, BUT he didn't pull over until his boy wrecked and the other police car pulled in front. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the officer having his gun out. This is common practice in similar circumstances.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well that's funny, I got pulled over for fleeing and alluding once, and the cop didn't have a gun pointed at me. In fact I have been driving cars and riding motorcycles for 35 years, and I've never had a cop pull me over and point a gun at me. If the cops around you do that then I'd move from the area ASAP!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

actually i have had a gun pointed at me for much less. I also carry a gun when i work. Im just saying that everything the cop did was justified until the trigger was pulled. Everything was by the book. he just happened to have a happy trigger finger that night
Old 05-19-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I said it's common practice, I didn't say that's what every officer does in every incident. I have no problem with the cops doing it, since I will not be stopped for eluding an officer, therefore, I will not have to worry about having a gun pointed at me. In most states, eluding constitutes a felony. When stopping a felon, a felony stop is generally conducted. A felony stop ALWAYS involves at least one officer covering the suspect with his gun.

So again, not condoning the officer firing his weapon, but there should be no issue having his gun drawn.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

agreed^^^
Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Every cop doesn't pull a cop on someone for a traffic stop when they are compliant. You guys don't know what you're talking about, even the law enforcement experts disagree!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Every cop doesn't pull a cop on someone for a traffic stop when they are compliant. You guys don't know what you're talking about, even the law enforcement experts disagree!
Well obviously your not reading what I am writing.

Originally Posted by APG12
I said it's common practice, I didn't say that's what every officer does in every incident. In most states, eluding constitutes a felony.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Funny Video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsCuurneZVE
Old 05-19-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This was not a "routine" traffic stop. He was only compliant AFTER he attemted to elude the officer and AFTER his buddy wrecked.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha I've seen that one before. Fake, but funny as hell.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pulling over right away isn't alluding. WTF part of that don't you understand?

Quick Reply: Cop shoots motorcyclist in the back...