Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks
View Poll Results: Should I widen the Firehawk wheels to 10.5"?
No
26.67%
Yes
73.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Should I widen my Firehawk wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Should I widen my Firehawk wheels?

PLEASE READ

My Firehawk wheels (17x9) are showing signs of needing rechroming. I figure when they are being repaired/rechromed would be a good time to have them widened to 10.5" if I wanted to. The reason is I have been thinking about running a 315 width tire all around and as we know this is not a good idea with a 9" wide wheel.

I daily drive the car with a lot of hard cornering. Car makes about 330TQ to the wheels through a stock 4L60E. I have Nitto NT05 tires on the rear right now.

The only issue I can think of is tire rub. I will probably need spacers for the rear, and I don't know what will happen to the front, especially considering I have tire rub on the wheel well liners as is (275/40/17!). Any advice?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha as cool as that would be if you already got rubbing it wont be any better I work at dtc and you can do alot with the rear to make those fit but the front is hard to do much with out makin alot of custom things for it. But if you git to work I would love to see it and maybe attempt it on my z28
Old 05-17-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have 11" wheels on the rear w/no spacers, no mods, no bfh and NO rubbing w/315's. But if it were my car, I would not run 315's on the front, IMHO.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
I have 11" wheels on the rear w/no spacers, no mods, no bfh and NO rubbing w/315's. But if it were my car, I would not run 315's on the front, IMHO.
Your 11" wheels on the rear are not widened Firehawk wheels and were designed with the proper offset/backspacing. If I widen the Firehawk wheels it will need a spacer of some sort. You say you don't want to run 315's in the front, is this due to pulling in road grooves and tire wear?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

lee, just the other day i found a website that had a ton of into about this. i cant remember the site, but they widened wheels aswell, for about $300 a wheel. not that your car isnt clean, but why not just save the money and get the wheels you want? assuming you went through that company i stubled upon, it would cost $1200 just for widening and you would still have to repair the flaking chrome and what not. and ontop of that, you would have to deal with possible fitment issues.
as where if you went aftermarket wheels and saved the money you are possibly thinking of spending on your current set, the aftermarket wheels would be a direct bolt on as well. no need to worry about spacers and stuff.
(for the rears atleast).

edit: heres some info if you do widen them.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ds-wheels.html

Last edited by LSpeed1; 05-18-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go to 11" or even wider if you like to corner - the added wheel width will help reduce sidewall rollover..
Old 05-18-2010, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id just widen the rears. The fronts, if you already have a rub issue, and for the fact that you will have to run a big spacer or really an adapter. The rear gets abuse yes, but cornering, your fronts take more abuse and I would just be afraid of the adapters AND having them widened would just ask for trouble.

I said get them widened and Rechromed then sell them to me!!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea just widen the rears, you will rub more up front if you do wider. Why do you need them widened though? 330rwhp isnt that much that you need 315s and for what it would cost to get them wider, why not just buy a whole new set of different wheels?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSpeed1
lee, just the other day i found a website that had a ton of into about this. i cant remember the site, but they widened wheels aswell, for about $300 a wheel. not that your car isnt clean, but why not just save the money and get the wheels you want? assuming you went through that company i stubled upon, it would cost $1200 just for widening and you would still have to repair the flaking chrome and what not. and ontop of that, you would have to deal with possible fitment issues.
as where if you went aftermarket wheels and saved the money you are possibly thinking of spending on your current set, the aftermarket wheels would be a direct bolt on as well. no need to worry about spacers and stuff.
(for the rears atleast).

edit: heres some info if you do widen them.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...ds-wheels.html
The wheels I want would be over $1800 used, and I really like the Firehawks. For $1200 I'd think that would include various repairs and the rechroming necessary.

Originally Posted by Eskimo
go to 11" or even wider if you like to corner - the added wheel width will help reduce sidewall rollover..
I don't want to do any sheet metal cutting otherwise I would buy 11" wheels in a heartbeat for "track use"... lol. One more thing I am taking into consideration is front wheel tracking on rough roads and tire wear on a DD. It's kinda bad with 275/40/17 and I couldn't imagine what a 345 width tire would be like.

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Id just widen the rears.
Originally Posted by fccs
Yea just widen the rears, you will rub more up front if you do wider.
One thing about having wider rears than fronts is it usually throws suspension calculations all out of whack and makes suspension tuning even more complicated... I have been told by several professionals (racers, mechanics, and even a F1 technician) to run the same size tire all around for the best cornering abilities.

Why do you need them widened though? 330rwhp isnt that much that you need 315s and for what it would cost to get them wider, why not just buy a whole new set of different wheels?
I really like the Firehawk wheels, and HP doesn't really come into play when it comes to cornering... That and I have no problem breaking 275s loose in a straight line.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

I am thinking about having my Firehawk wheels widened on the rear. I love the wheels just wish I could put a 315 on the back. I know there is a company that is popular for widening wheels but I can' think of the name.

I think 17x11 or 17x10.5 Firehawk wheels would look sick.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you spin that much with a v6...? Unless im missing something.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

i voted yes because i want to do the same to my wheels
Old 05-22-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Definitely. Firehawk wheels are some of the sexiest wheels ever
Old 05-22-2010, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah... You're missing something.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Yeah... You're missing something.
LOL.

Bare with me and I'll get to the topic at hand...

I'd like to eventually get my Firebird to the track. (The car is still a virgin, at least since I've owned it.)

Before doing so, I'd like to upgrade my rear tires to as wide of a Drag Radial that will safely fit on the rear of a stock ride height (for now) 4th Gen F-body. I believe this would be a 315/35/R17.

My Formula is also currently sporting Firehawk Wheels. I wouldn't dare attempt to wrap a 315/35 around a 17x9 inch rim. And although my wheels aren't perfect, they are in pretty good shape, so I don't think I could see myself putting them under the knife in order to have them widened.

I, also, won't let myself go anywhere with mismatched wheels on the car.

With all this in mind, I've come to the conclusion that I need a second set of wheels. One for street use and the other for the track.

I think I've narrowed it down to wanting a set of Torq Thrust M's. Two 17x9" for the front and two 17x10.5" for the rear. (I found a site where they're reasonably priced and I think a set with the anthricite spokes would look pretty ******' good on my black Firebird.)

Okay this is where I tie in the Topic of this discussion...

My advice to ZexGX is to do the same. Leave your Firehawk Wheels alone and find a wider, second set of wheels that will suit your corner carving needs.

Plus this way you don't run the risk of ruining a wheel that can't be easily replaced. And if something should happen to one of the wheels in your 2nd set, you would have your Firehawks to rely on as a backup.

I, also, agree that the Firehawks are the best looking wheels the 4th Gen Firebird ever came with from the factory. (Well kind of "from the factory". I'm sure you get my point.)

Its a wonder an Aftermarket company hasn't reproduced the Firehawk wheel in multiple rim sizes and widths. If this was the case, I'd be looking to purchase just 2 wheels, instead of an entire set.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd widen the rears and leave the fronts alone. I do a lot of hard cornering with 18x9.5 fronts and 275s and don't have any issues.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

L36 is the RPO Code for a 3.8L. He had a regular Firebird and threw in an LS1 an now it seems he has a Firehawk clone. I just hope he didn't put on the Firehawk emblems.

As for the wheels. I would only widen the rear. I don't see why you would want 315's in the front... how in the hell would you turn your car.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

I ran 275's in each corner for the longest..and with my suspension set up.. i NEVER had a problem..and trust me..i rail turns...

just get good tires IMO..and spent the rest in BMR goodies..
Old 06-19-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

OK. So I think I decided to do this to my wheels. How do I find out if 17x11 will fit and what spacer to use?

I know people put 17x11 on the back of 4th gens but I know the offset has to be just right. Can this be achieved with a spacer after the wheel is widened?

If the OP has any input I would love to hear it.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Look at his sig - L36 delete. The L36 is the V6. Meaning that V6 isn't there anymore

Quick Reply: Should I widen my Firehawk wheels?