Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

slicks or drag radials on my truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 05:18 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default slicks or drag radials on my truck

i posted this up in the truck section but there is probably more experience over here. right now i am 4wd with 4 nittos. i am going to try 2wd and some better tires, drop some weight and try and pull the wheels

i am planing on going with the 315/60/15 "et street radial" drag radial(40lbs). they drive nice on the street and hook great at the track but i should look at all of the options before i dive in. this will be a 2wd set up with much weight reduction and some loose shocks. this tire has 11" of tread and is 30" tall

the other options i see are the et drag. there are lots of sizes that would work for me with this tire. all around 11" of tread and a choice of 30" tall(27lbs), 31.3" tall(33lbs), and 33" tall(37lbs)

as you can see i will drop a few lb's with the slick. as much as 26lb's if i match the same size as the drag radial. also i can pick a much taller tire if that would be of benifit to me if i go with the slick. there is pleanty of room for the 31.1" tall tire and even room for the 33" tall tire. really the 30" tall drag radial will still look a little short on the truck but better than the 28.7" tall nittos i have been running.

figure i can optimize my gear ratio and will have pleanty of power to take advantage of maximum traction, what tire will give me the best 60' time? will it be by a slight margin or would the taller slicks hook much better?
Old 12-25-2006, 08:21 PM
single digit dreamer

for those that run full slicks at the track. do you still run radials up front? how big of an issue is that?
Old 12-25-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think you will be much happier with the slicks and 2wd. as far as radials what do mean "problems"
Old 12-25-2006, 08:26 PM
single digit dreamer

i have heard they do not recomend running bias ply tires mixed with radials but for track use only is it a big deal? will need to swap out the front tires too or can i just run a radial street tire?
Old 12-25-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with the 315/60 et radials parrish. you will NEVER look back. guys are throwing much more power than you are making (insane isnt it) and are hooking tremendously. should have no problem on the brake. it ideally needs an 11-12 inch wheel but some get away with 10" - and dont worry about the weight. it is more than made up with the lack of rolling resistence.

this way you can keep it on the street.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8
i have heard they do not recomend running bias ply tires mixed with radials but for track use only is it a big deal? will need to swap out the front tires too or can i just run a radial street tire?
theres plenty of guys running a mix, i dont see a problem with what your gonna run, what kind of wheels? i didnt think a 15" would fit on those newer trucks due to rubbing with the calipers
Old 12-26-2006, 12:15 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
theres plenty of guys running a mix, i dont see a problem with what your gonna run, what kind of wheels? i didnt think a 15" would fit on those newer trucks due to rubbing with the calipers
i am swaping over to a newer rear end with drum brakes. the 05/06 ss trucks come with a 9.5" 14bolt rear and has drum brakes. it bolts right into the truck and the word is it even has a decent posi, not a g80 govloc. now i just need to find one.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:38 AM
9 Second Club

good luck finding one.Im sure there arnt to many of those trucks parted out yet

Quick Reply: slicks or drag radials on my truck