Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What aftermarket head unit work with steering wheel controls?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 04:57 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What aftermarket head unit work with steering wheel controls?

If I wanted to upgrade my stereo head unit, are there any that work with the steering wheel controls? I have really gotten used to them and do not want to lose them.

TIA
Old 11-22-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

This is what you need to add to an aftermarket stereo to get the steering wheel controls to work:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacswisteerw.html
Old 11-22-2004, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, any head unit that has an infrared remote will...

You just have to get a PAC SWI-X to control it. They go for about $50 but I bought mine used for cheaper.

I'll post the results in my radio thread when I get the install finished!

EDIT: Damn, I took too long to type that and Snootch beat me to it! hahaha
Old 11-22-2004, 05:21 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, I never knew that existed. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Yea Thats Really Nice To Know
Old 11-22-2004, 06:30 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, I thought of another question, what about the factory CD changer? Is it compatible with other head units?
Old 11-22-2004, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

That I don't know... I can't imagine why it wouldn't be, though...
Old 11-24-2004, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

No, it's not. There used to be adapters that would connect an aftermarket changer to the factory head unit (although I don't think anybody has them anymore) but there isn't an adapter to make the factory changer work with an aftermarket radio. The factory changer is manufactured by Pioneer but it is made to GM specifications and uses a different connection than any of the Pioneer head units.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:46 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, it's not. There used to be adapters that would connect an aftermarket changer to the factory head unit (although I don't think anybody has them anymore) but there isn't an adapter to make the factory changer work with an aftermarket radio. The factory changer is manufactured by Pioneer but it is made to GM specifications and uses a different connection than any of the Pioneer head units.

That's a big downer then. I don't want to get rid of the changer.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:46 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Peripheral also makes a device that works. I assume it has more options than the PAC which makes it more expensive. Still cheaper than SoundGate.

Old 11-25-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BJM
That's a big downer then. I don't want to get rid of the changer.
that's silly. buy an mp3 head unit and you'll never regret ditching the stock changer. you can fit all 12 discs (that are in your changer) worth of material on one mp3 cd just about.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:10 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tuffluck
that's silly. buy an mp3 head unit and you'll never regret ditching the stock changer. you can fit all 12 discs (that are in your changer) worth of material on one mp3 cd just about.
I understand your point but I disagree. MP3 playback sounds like crap when its scrunched down a lot. I don't like the playback quality when its compressed by more than about 3 times. So I am stuck between having 12 full CD's or 3 in compressed form. Personally I would stay with a changer at that point.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:33 PM
12 Second Truck Club

The stock cd player/changer is going to sound worse than any MP3 file, not to mention going through a converter if you are installing an amplifier to boot. Talk about degredation of signal.

I have been working in high end car audio for 10yrs and I don't get it when people complain about MP3 sound quality. For the convience factor it's awesome. How often are you in a spot where it's quiet enough to actually hear that much detail or that you could actually car if there is that much detail anyway? You guys are driving F-bodies for christ sake, they are not BMWs. Just driving down the road has enough noise to suffciently degrade sound quality. LOL

Just do a good aftermarket deck. When you want to be a purist throw in a regular CD or god forbit you spring for another changer. LOL
Old 11-25-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BJM
I understand your point but I disagree. MP3 playback sounds like crap when its scrunched down a lot. I don't like the playback quality when its compressed by more than about 3 times. So I am stuck between having 12 full CD's or 3 in compressed form. Personally I would stay with a changer at that point.
that's silly, too. there is no way my mp3's sound bad at all, especially when compared to the stock changer.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:30 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tuffluck
that's silly, too. there is no way my mp3's sound bad at all, especially when compared to the stock changer.
Ok, I'll bite, I have never heard anyone complain about a changer before. Its just digital to analogue at pre-amp levels. The head unit and amp would do any mangling. I only just got my car and have only listened to my stereo for a couple of hours but at low-medium levels it sounds pretty good. Are you guys complaining about what happens when you try to crank it and it distorts?
Old 11-25-2004, 09:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I'm talking about the raw signal coming out of the stock deck sucks

Install a complete system using the stock deck. Then swap the deck out for a good aftermarket unit and you'll see what i mean

I do this for a living and in almost every case i can think of the stock head unit fails miserably compared to a good aftermarket unit

Hell even swappin gout the deck unsing stock speakers makes a marked difference for most people.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:34 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I am back to my original problem.

I want a nice head unit but I want the steering wheel controls to work too. So I can buy one of those boxes shown at the beginning of the thread.

I guess I also want a decent looking unit. I have another car with a normal height H/U stuck in the oversize GM slot with an adapter and I just do not like the look. Are there any oversize units that fit the stock opening nicely? There used to be some out there.

...and I might just try MP3s...
Old 11-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

There are a couple of 1.5 DIN head units available. The only current models are by Pioneer but there are Alpine units no longer in production that you might be able to find on ebay. Although these units all fit the dash opening properly, there is no way anyone would mistake them for original equipment (fancy trim and display with lots of lights). Neither will work with the steering wheel controls without using the IR adapter.

There is one aftermarket head unit that looks factory installed but sounds much better. It's the GC600 made by (don't laugh...) Audiovox. It is a 1.5 DIN unit with both CD and cassette and is designed specifically to look factory installed (the GC600GAB is the model for Pontiac). I installed one in my T/A and it sounds much better than the Monsoon even though I left the Monsoon amp and speakers. It is a plug-in replacement complete with support for steering wheel controls and a 6 or 10 disc changer is available for it. It also has pre-amp output if you want to put in a better amp and speakers. I got mine off ebay for $75 slightly used.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 11-28-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

MP3 format is a very high quality compressed music file. As long as you stay above 128 bit rate it should sound fine unless someone did a crappy job of ripping the tracks.

One day I took a Tom Petty CD that was store bought and ripped one song off of it. I then burned that 1 song on a CD-R in .wav uncompressed format and .mp3 compressed format @ 160 bit rate. I could not tell any difference at all.

So I say to heck with the factory changer also. I could not live without an mp3 player now. Its like the internet. You wonder how you got by before you got it.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:53 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I have a Pioneer DEHP77DH that I took out of my Monte Carlo if you are looking for a 1-2/2 din head unit. You can find the specs on their sit eIm sure.

Quick Reply: What aftermarket head unit work with steering wheel controls?