Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

can I connect a siren to the GM alarm sys.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default can I connect a siren to the GM alarm sys.

I would like to have a siren sounding instead of just the horn honking is it possible / the GM alarm sys. if so how hard is it to connect?

The siren I was checking out is from parts express in it's picture in there catalog they appear to be 5 wires.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess what I'd think you'd need to so, would be change the horn to said siren, and then re-wire the horn button on the steeringwheel to another horn. So the car's system runs off the siren and then the steering wheel runs off the new horn.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default siren

Originally Posted by Formula350
I guess what I'd think you'd need to so, would be change the horn to said siren, and then re-wire the horn button on the steeringwheel to another horn. So the car's system runs off the siren and then the steering wheel runs off the new horn.
that sounds like sound advice Thanks.

I was kindof hopping to have a loud siren and a loud horn meaning using the siren as a horn also the one I have picked out is programable so I can select the desired tone.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2006, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do not think that you could use the output of the factory alarm for a siren. the output from the alarm is a pulsed signal, hince the horn honking instead of being on all the time, when the alarm in triggered. you could possibly hook the alarm output to a pulse timmer and them hooked it up to the siren that you want to buy, it might work.

hope this helps
dustin
Old 11-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

spdracer is correct - the factory alarm system sends a pulsed signal to honk the horns. Alarm sirens require a constant signal so you'd end up with a siren that "chirps" (like when arming or disarming) if you connect one to the factory system.

One option might be to add the DEI Hornet 700T. It is an alarm upgrade designed for use with factory keyless entry systems. It provides an alarm siren and shock sensor and can be upgraded with other accessories such as a perimeter sensor or remote starter while still using the factory remotes. You have to turn off the factory alarm to prevent conflicts but it's easy to install and only costs about $75 online.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default alarm

thanks guys for advice. I'm not real interested in uninstalling then reinstalling a sys.

what do you guys think about just upgrading to a louder horn one thats sounds a little differnt maybe a small air horn.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

There are louder horns available but those small air horns probably wouldn't do what you want. The compressors that come with them take a moment to spool up so the pulsed signal from the alarm probably wouldn't get them going.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default horn

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There are louder horns available but those small air horns probably wouldn't do what you want. The compressors that come with them take a moment to spool up so the pulsed signal from the alarm probably wouldn't get them going.
can you suggest where to start looking at horns.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Have a look at your local auto parts store - they usually have Fiamm horns such as the "Highway Blaster" which comes in high and low tones and produces 130db. Personally, I installed a pair of motorcycle horns called "Wing Blasters" from chromeworld.com. They have a nice tone and are rated at 138db - very attention getting.

Another option is using older model OEM horns (they used to be much louder). I remember somebody posting that the horns off an old Buick or something worked great and weren't expensive. I just can't remember what the actual model was. Perhaps somebody else can post that for you.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Why waste your money nobody cares if a car alarm is going off. When was the last time you ran out and checked, when you heard a alarm going off?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by scrmnss
Why waste your money nobody cares if a car alarm is going off. When was the last time you ran out and checked, when you heard a alarm going off?
exactly. (old thread i know...but just thought i'd agree with the previous post) All an alarm does it attract people to look at the car, nothing more.

Quick Reply: can I connect a siren to the GM alarm sys.