Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about replacing the head unit w/ stock speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about replacing the head unit w/ stock speakers

Sup, my mid drivers blew not too long ago (sail panel speakers) so i need replacement speakers. Tried Stereo One and i'm not going to go into detail about it, but let's just say they jipped me pretty good (stay away). So i turn back to stock replacement speakers from the dealership (found some online for $90, pair new). So, i have a Sony Xplod head unit that i was given as a gift just layin' around and i wouldn't mind putting it in.

So here's my situation, i know that the Monsoon system is picky as *****, but let me know if this will work. I want to replace the head unit w/ my Sony Xplod (52W x 4) but leave all the other speakers stock. What i'm thinking is running just the tweeters off the head unit while everything else draws power from the factory amp. Would this work?

My only concern is that i've seen someone try this before and they lost a buttload of bass from their mid-drivers (6"), so they had to put their factory head unit back in cause they were unsatisfied (i heard it too, it was pretty weak). Would i fall victim to the same fate? Or would running the tweeters off the Xplod and the other 6 speakers off the stock amp give me the same (maybe better) amount of sound as i had w/ everything stock. Thank you for your time.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

I sure wish people would have a look at the Monsoon FAQ sticky sometimes.

You have a Firebird so the tweeters are already wired directly to the head unit (unless it's a convertible). Get yourself a wiring harness adapter from anyplace that sells car audio (not essential but better than cutting the factory harness), an antenna plug adapter, and a mounting kit for your radio, then just install it and plug it in. The tweeters will run off the head unit and the rest will run off the Monsoon amp just like in the factory configuration.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

I've already read the entire thread, this is a specific question.

PS, don't you have to bypass all the monsoon stuff for the new head unit to work?

Also, as far as install goes, could y'all maybe give me a detailed description of how it should be (like this wire to this wire, etc). Splicing isn't a problem for me, it's just knowing what to splice and where to find it.

Last edited by Vrbas; 07-08-2007 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, you don't have to bypass anything. The Monsoon "system" doesn't involve the head unit in any way, it's all in the amp and the specific speakers. The head unit is just an ordinary Delco unit that works just like any standard HU GM has installed since about 1988. That means that replacing it is just the same as replacing one in any other GM vehicle - no special wiring or bypassing is necessary.

As far as the specific splicing of wires, that will vary depending on the aftermarket head unit you're installing. Each brand has their own wire color coding. The wiring adapter kit consists of a GM plug designed to plug into the factory radio connector with wire "pigtails" for each of the connections. You splice the pigtails to the aftermarket radio harness and then it will just plug in to the factory harness. You'll have a list of the wire colors and functions that comes with the aftermarket HU instructions. Match those wire colors to the same functions in the factory harness using the pinout listing in the FAQ thread to determine which wires get spliced together.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Thank you for the help.

I'm slightly suspicious though because i know someone who has done something similar and lost alot of sound (mostly just bass). Any idea what's up w/ him? Not to mention i talked to a few local shops and they said i'd have to bypass Monsoon and the reason i'd lose alot of sound is b/c it's not finely "tuned" like the stock head unit is to the stock amp and speakers. Do they know what they are talking about?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the deal!! They are full of crap!! You do not have to bypass the Monsoon for nothing...if anything it is going to sound WAY better as the Monsoon HU is the weak link in the audio chain of the Monsoon system as it is a distortion box. Then the distorion is amplified by the Monsoon amp and there you have it. When you upgrade the HU to a quality unit you now have a cleaner signal so it already should sound better. Then the Monsoon amplifier amplifies a clean signal and you have a better sound system already. As to why your buddy had issues....could be several variables...not necessarily the HU upgrade. Gimme a list of what he has and I could probably tell you why. Not to mention proper tuning of the HU. Anyway, upgrading the HU is the first thing you do to make things sound better. Next is speakers. Then if more is needed...a sub and amp. After that it should sound great. Not competition level...but nice.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Believe me, i'm not looking for anything on competition level. In fact, i personally like the sound of the Monsoon system as is. Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like a decent system. All i want to do is replace the head unit cause i personally want a little "eye candy" on the inside of the car. Plus, this aftermarket HU is just layin' around, why not put it to use?

Questions about installation: is it as easy as plug and play? Or will i have to be doing a bit of splicing? Will i only have to play around behind the HU up at the dash, or will i need to address each speaker individually? And could you explain "tuning" the head unit?

As far as my friend goes, he had the Sony Xplod CDX-FW500 and got a "professional" at a local shop to install it. He said they ripped apart the car, having to play w/ the wires on each speaker (front, mid, back) and he said it was a mess and took forever. After they were done, and he cranked up the system, he said it lost a LOT of bass. I got to hear it too and sheesh, it was like headphones. I guess the high's sounded OK, but the lows were terrible. Everything was stock save that Xplod HU. Any idea?

Thank you for your help
Old 07-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was your buddies car a Bose system or a Monsoon system. Some of the Bose systems in the 93-95 (years could be off a bit)...were a little more complicated but not to that extent. If it was a Monsoon and they had to rip the car apart for a HU install they were full of it and ripped him off. You can do a HU install in your driveway/garage in about an hour tops. All you need is the wire harness adapter and an HU install kit. The harness adapter keeps you from having to splice anything (as Whirebird already mentioned I think). The install kit basically give you a place to mount the new HU in the factory opening. It also makes the install alot cleaner and look more professional. If you really want eye candy checkout the HUMount kit. Here's an example of the HU Mount.
Camaro Z28
http://maptechenterprises.netfirms.c...-installed.jpg
Another one for the trans am:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/698180-pics-my-system-56k-sorry.html
Nice stuff. You can always just grab a standard Metra kit as well from any auto parts store like Pepboys, Autozone, etc.
When I mention tuning...I mean adjusting the HU to the speakers so that it sounds good. Adjusting bass, treble, mids(if possible), and frequencies (also if possible). Some HU's have fully adjustable crossovers. Sometimes you may want to balance front to rear fade as well to get just the right sound. Those adjustments are not just there for looks. Your buddies car sounded bad because of the install. I would LOVE to see what they did to his car. Also...not to bash Sony but the Xplod stuff is not great. For the same money...Clarion, Kenwood, Alpine, JVC, or for a little more money a lower end Eclipse would far outdo any Sony. That may have alot to do with his issue as well as far as lack of full sound and midbass.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, you won't have to touch anything except the wiring for the new head unit. And, as I said, that is pretty much taken care of by just splicing the harness adapter to the new HU and then plugging it in. In fact, you could attach the harness adapter to your new HU in the comfort of your living room - then it becomes just a 15 minute job to install it into the car.

Your friend's problem was undoubtedly caused by the "professional" installation. They would have had absolutely no reason to go anywhere near the speakers just to upgrade the head unit. The problem is that many installers remember the mess of upgrading the older Bose systems and think the Monsoon is the same. They're completely different - the Bose system used a special HU connected to speakers that had individual amps attached, the Monsoon just takes the speaker-level output from whatever HU is installed and amplifies it.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

where could i find that install kit (Trans Am 1)? Would the Xplod still sound better than the Delco 1 i got?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Any store that sells car audio should have the adapter harness. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find it at WalMart - it's a very common item. It will be labeled for all GM vehicles (except Bose) for 1988 through 2002.

Just about ANY aftermarket head unit will give better sound than the factory Delco one. I'm not a big fan of Sony stuff but you should notice an improvement in clarity and reduced distortion (especially at higher volumes).
Old 07-08-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

I was curious as to where i could find the faceplate w/ the Trans Am logo on it for the installation kit (not mandatory, like i said just more eye candy).

Last edited by Vrbas; 07-09-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are known problems with replacing the HU and sail(s) blowing/not working and or amp channels not working......etc -- nobody to my knowledge has figured out exactly when each situation has happened....and nobody really cares, and instead agrees to just phase out the Monsoon at some point..

As far as Xplod -- definitely isn't the best -- have an Xplod model in our boat (not even sure where this HU came from - but I used it for the first time just today actually) running Pioneer speakers and anything about 50% volume, distortion can be heard......getting near full volume is a joke -- sounds as if the speakers might literally "xplod" due to the HU distortion.