Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Did i screw up my amp/sub combo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did i screw up my amp/sub combo?

Okay i just got a stealth box so i went to install it and i get no sound to the sub. Here are the sub/amp.
Sub
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-98xpLX5...x?i=500SWR1042

amp
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hIsvo2z...spx?I=575P5002

How would i wire this up so it sees 4OHM, it says they both can handle the load so i dont understand why i am not getting any sound, the amp is getting power and everything.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you wire to both voice coils or just one pair of them. 4 ohms is just wired to one voice coil. and 2 ohms is connecting the positives and negatives to each other from both coils
Old 02-21-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is what i did, the sub comes with 2 "jumpers" that you can use, i wired up the pos from the amp to the pos of one coil then i used the neg from the amp to the neg of the other coil, i then bridged the other coil using the jumper
Old 02-21-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

What wiring, fuse, and headunit are you using?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am running a compaq laptop i dont have a headunit i use an lcd touchscreen. The amps are run off of a sound blaster external sound card, i am running another rockford p3002 i think that is powering my speakers. THe speakers sound great and the p5002 lights up so i know it is getting power, just the sub isnt working.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sub is dual 4 ohms, you have it wired to 2 ohms and the amp is only 4ohms stable. the amp is going into protect most likely becaue it cant handle the load
Old 02-22-2008, 02:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
sub is dual 4 ohms, you have it wired to 2 ohms and the amp is only 4ohms stable. the amp is going into protect most likely becaue it cant handle the load
Yes im this him^

You can not get a 4ohm load from a DVC 4 ohm sub. You can only do 2 ohms or 8 ohms with that set up. Your amp MAY be able to handle 8 ohms but it will put out less power.

I would try to return it and get a SVC 4ohm sub if you can.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

can i wire up each channel of the amp to one coil on the sub? in stead of bridging the amp?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Yes. You'll get 125W x 2 at 4 ohms that way (250W total on the sub).
Old 02-22-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
The way he described it, he wired them in series... 8 Ohms.

EDIT: Actually..

Originally Posted by transambandit
i wired up the pos from the amp to the pos of one coil then i used the neg from the amp to the neg of the other coil, i then bridged the other coil using the jumper
That doesn't make sense. He first makes it sound like the pos from amp went to one coil, and the negative from the amp to another coil......but then he says he bridged the other coil using a jumper.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I think the jumper just goes from negative on one coil to positive on the other which would make it a series connection (8 ohm) like you thought.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I think the jumper just goes from negative on one coil to positive on the other which would make it a series connection (8 ohm) like you thought.
That's how I read it at first - but he said he "bridged the other coil" -- implying that there was one coil with no wires going to it (the bridged coil before it was bridged) .......which doesn't go with the first part of his description saying that pos from amp went to one coil, and neg to the OTHER coil.... not leaving a coil to be bridged...

But I still think he meant the "bridge" went from one coil to the other.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

okay, my amp has 2 channels, to bridge it i connected one positive to one positive of the sub. I connected the negative of the other channel to the negative of the other coil on the sub. I then used the jumper to connect the remaining postive to the remaining negative coil. That didnt work, i then used the jumpers to connect the one positive with the remaining positive and the one negative to the remaining negative, that also did not work. Now i am stuck with it, i am going to try and wire up the coils to each channel of the amp but i have to wait until i get a piece to my laptop so i can re-install it.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

okay, my amp has 2 channels, to bridge it i connected one positive to one positive of the sub. I connected the negative of the other channel to the negative of the other coil on the sub. I then used the jumper to connect the remaining postive to the remaining negative coil.
Ok - so at first you had it wired in series = 8 Ohms

That didnt work, i then used the jumpers to connect the one positive with the remaining positive and the one negative to the remaining negative, that also did not work. Now i am stuck with it, i am going to try and wire up the coils to each channel of the amp but i have to wait until i get a piece to my laptop so i can re-install it.
Then parallel (assuming + from amp to + on sub, etc) = 2 Ohms

Strange you got NOTHING out of either setup - the 2 Ohm load may have never worked if your amp immediately went into 'protection mode' -- did you try briefly cracking the gains/boost with the 8 Ohm load JUST to see if you can get any sound from it? Also, whatever you need to do to get the max preout level from your comp...

The amps are run off of a sound blaster external sound card, i am running another rockford p3002 i think that is powering my speakers.
Is it possible you just don't know exactly how your setup works? You THINK your other amp that you are running is powering your speakers?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

no i am not sure if it is a p3002 amp, i know it is powering my speakers i just couldnt remember which RF amp it is.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry -- I thought about that after I posted, but forgot to re-word myself