Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rowdy burnouts and loud noises: The LSX/Subaru swap project

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Got the lateral link cross bars tacked into place and preliminary lateral link brackets drawn.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Lateral link mounts are in

Old 04-30-2016, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Lateral link assembly

Old 04-30-2016, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you used just a nut welded to the tube. If these are for anything other than just mockup I'd suggest getting tube bungs for more tube engagement as well as the ease of going with rh and lh threads on opposite sides for on car adjustability. This way you the bung is truly supported by the tube with the weld acting as a secondary support instead of all the forces being focused solely on the weld. Threading the tubing itself would be great as well if you can find/machine tube with the correct ID.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MorePSI
Looks like you used just a nut welded to the tube. If these are for anything other than just mockup I'd suggest getting actual tube bungs for more tube engagement as well as the ease of going with rh and lh threads on opposite sides for on car adjustability. This way you the bung is truly supported by the tube with the weld acting as a secondary support instead of all the forces being focused solely on the weld.
The joints thread in to the tube. It's supported the entire length of the shaft and the nuts will be used for ease of spinning the link.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Dude this is Awesome, I thought at 21 I was good but you have some crazy fab skills.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 973800CamaroRS
Dude this is Awesome, I thought at 21 I was good but you have some crazy fab skills.
Thank you sir! It's a huge learning process for me.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Last bolts I need before this thing is a roller!

Old 05-03-2016, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool links you made. Did you use right hand and left hand threaded heims on each end? That's a good tip if not. Then you can lengthen without removing the hardware from one end.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DW SD
Cool links you made. Did you use right hand and left hand threaded heims on each end? That's a good tip if not. Then you can lengthen without removing the hardware from one end.
Yeah I read that on another shortly before buying and got 4 lh and 6 rh joints.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Bad news: So Fed ex denied the first claim due to "insufficient evidence". Apparently 10 pictures of the damaged box and hubs isn't good enough. Filing a second claim tomorrow with more pictures of the packing material in hopes of getting compensated.

Good news: First package of bolts arrived.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Didn't get much done to the car this weekend. I took a short vacation to NC with a classmate to enjoy a weekend on the lake.

Worked on a Supra

Bolts arrived

Started my trailing arm mounts

And this is why you keep an extinguisher handy. The piece of scrap got hot enough to bury itself through the lacquer and into the hardwood.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Teddy-2000RS
I like that. Looks stronger than the traditional drop tie rods.
I already run around 7000miles with no issues
Old 05-10-2016, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

awesome build!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys!

Test fit the plates and got my trailing arm alignment sorted

Cut and drilled the uprights

And tacked it all together. For those that pay attention, yes I made them backwards the first time.

And in the car

Old 05-11-2016, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys!

Finished up the knuckle side of my trailing arms today. I was worried about comprimising tbe strength by welding three pieces together, so I built a ghetto sheet metal brake. Works pretty well, except for the radius i can get out of it.

Im extremely happy with the outcome of these. Cant wait to see what other brackets I can bend up.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:09 AM
Teching In

First off, I'm impressed with your ability to just get stuff done. Makes me, and I'm sure a lot of other people here, feel downright lazy.

And this is why you keep an extinguisher handy. The piece of scrap got hot enough to bury itself through the lacquer and into the hardwood.

LOL

Forget you told us this?

Thanks you for the concern but I do operate in a very safe manner. The burn mark you are referring was gained from a red hot bracket being hammered to a 90. Any open flame, torches, and the mig are used outdoors. I put up spark shields whenever sparks are being thrown (removed for better photos obviously) and I also have a 3 grade fire extinguisher within an arms reach. I weld with fans circulating outside air in and through the four windows in the dining room. Tig doesn't throw any sparks so as long as I'm welding on metal (I have 1/4" bench topper when I weld) there's not a whole lot fire risk.
That guy was trying to help you.

I'd really recommend against using a plasma or abrasive wheels or whatever you were using to get steel that hot indoors, especially inside of a home you do not own with little to no real income or savings to settle the suit your landlord files against you. I'd also be willing to bet indoor fabrication is outside of your lease or rental agreement. And your costs when moving/being thrown out are not limited to your security deposit.

As a fellow college student swapping an unconventional car (though nowhere near this level of fabrication), we're not in a financial position to be screwing around in that manner.
You've got a garage, I'd use it. I realize you don't have all the space in the world out there and the weather might not be great, but theres a reason people bother to do things the right way.

And no loose fitting clothing when you're using tools that spin, please. Few weeks ago watched a classmate wrap his flannel shirt sleeve up in a lathe and nearly loose an arm.

But hey, your life man. Build is pretty cool, glad to see you really slamming out progress on a project that would take most people the better part of a decade. Can't wait to see it run!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Lolvo
First off, I'm impressed with your ability to just get stuff done. Makes me, and I'm sure a lot of other people here, feel downright lazy.

LOL

Forget you told us this?

That guy was trying to help you.

I'd really recommend against using a plasma or abrasive wheels or whatever you were using to get steel that hot indoors, especially inside of a home you do not own with little to no real income or savings to settle the suit your landlord files against you. I'd also be willing to bet indoor fabrication is outside of your lease or rental agreement. And your costs when moving/being thrown out are not limited to your security deposit.

As a fellow college student swapping an unconventional car (though nowhere near this level of fabrication), we're not in a financial position to be screwing around in that manner.
You've got a garage, I'd use it. I realize you don't have all the space in the world out there and the weather might not be great, but theres a reason people bother to do things the right way.

And no loose fitting clothing when you're using tools that spin, please. Few weeks ago watched a classmate wrap his flannel shirt sleeve up in a lathe and nearly loose an arm.

But hey, your life man. Build is pretty cool, glad to see you really slamming out progress on a project that would take most people the better part of a decade. Can't wait to see it run!
Thank you for the concern. Although my methods are unconventional I do my best to keep it a safe working environment.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

And that wraps up the rear suspension. Scooping some filler tomorrow and finish welding begins!

Old 05-13-2016, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't want to add a threaded connection between the bent bracket and the tube? It'd be a lot easier to adjust if you just spun the tube, vs unbolt one end to make your adjustments.

Quick Reply: Rowdy burnouts and loud noises: The LSX/Subaru swap project