Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil pan question for you guys here. I have my car sitting on 26 OD tires with moog 5660 springs and 2 inch drop spindles sitting around 26 inches fender height. I plan to go down another inch if possible. I need a new solution for my oil pan....I have a leak and more than likely will need a new gasket.

That being said, any of you guys think that you can jack the motor up enough to have enough room to drop the pan and remove it without pulling the motor? I have just had my trans out being swapped for a new one, all put back together to see a oil leak of the pan right about the cross member and its enough to not want to drive it and risk the thousands and thousands of $$ invested.

I am not satisfied with my ls1 oil pan and my buddy has a autokraft pan in his with loads of clearance. I plan to be lower than him so pan to ground clearance is a huge issue. So my question really is, 1) will the pan be able to be swapped if the motor is jacked up enough without having to pull the motor out, and 2) is there a ''cheaper'' cost pan that does not hang lower than the cradle ? I have 1 inch setbacks so that should help out where the motor sits compared to the cradle.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

cts v oil pan
Old 08-09-2014, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the cts-v pan. fits perfect.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

To llorracs93s10 , I unbolted my motor mounts and jacked mine up and pulled my truck pan off. It was super tight if i remember. The cts-v pan will still hang below the crossmember depending on which motor mounts you use. 2in drop spindles and you plan on lowering it more , go with the autocraft if the budget allows it. Though if the fbody pan fits now i would re use that as a cheaper option if its only a gasket issue.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Emdmechanic
To llorracs93s10 , I unbolted my motor mounts and jacked mine up and pulled my truck pan off. It was super tight if i remember. The cts-v pan will still hang below the crossmember depending on which motor mounts you use. 2in drop spindles and you plan on lowering it more , go with the autocraft if the budget allows it. Though if the fbody pan fits now i would re use that as a cheaper option if its only a gasket issue.
Thanks! I'm hoping that they will be able to get it out just by unbolting the motor mount bolts. As for the pan, thr passenger corner is resting on the cradle and I do not think in the long run it would be wise to keep it.

The pan is in perfect condition I just need a different setup.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone here manage to fit a Fbody pan without cutting the frame? I know some have and i'm trying to get a idea on how it will sit i dont have a A/C box or comp. to worry about and i'm flexable on the mounts. I know lots use the CTSV pan which is about 1" shorter in the front sump area. Any pics are helpful of either pan!
Old 08-10-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6togo
Anyone here manage to fit a Fbody pan without cutting the frame? I know some have and i'm trying to get a idea on how it will sit i dont have a A/C box or comp. to worry about and i'm flexable on the mounts. I know lots use the CTSV pan which is about 1" shorter in the front sump area. Any pics are helpful of either pan!
If you do not have one yet, I will have one for you ......
Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 AM

Tried to read all the pages, what engine mounts do I use? I currently have the moroso solid mounts in the car from my bbc. What part numbers do I need to put a 5.3 in the car with a powerglide trans with a iceman tubular x member?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbomontess
Tried to read all the pages, what engine mounts do I use? I currently have the moroso solid mounts in the car from my bbc. What part numbers do I need to put a 5.3 in the car with a powerglide trans with a iceman tubular x member?
To use the Iceman cross member without modification you need to use 1in setback mounts.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:49 AM

Awesome! Do I need new frame mounts and engine mounts I assume? Do you happen to have the part numbers? Thanks again for your quick reply I am new to the ls game
Old 08-11-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome! Do I need new frame mounts and engine mounts I assume? Do you happen to have the part numbers? Thanks again for your quick reply I am new to the ls game
I'm sorry but this thread would probably only be 33 pages long if people would read it instead of different people asking the same questions over and over.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:43 PM

A sticky with some part numbers would probably be a great idea then. I can't read 63 pages of stuff while I am at work. Disregard my question then
Old 08-11-2014, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A sticky with some part numbers would probably be a great idea then. I can't read 63 pages of stuff while I am at work. Disregard my question then
Not trying to be complete ******** here, but:

Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fry_
I'm sorry but this thread would probably only be 33 pages long if people would read it instead of different people asking the same questions over and over.
True, there are a lot of question and people making their own threads but not taking the time to do a little searching.

However there are lots of ways to go about it with a gbody swap, almost every G-body swap is different on here.. People need to be more detailed with question.

A/C or no?
Stock trans location/or reuse driveshaft or no?
Headers or stock manifolds?

Etc etc.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Toddoky
For everyone's benefit, I will test fit a GTO alternator into our Monte Carlo SS as it gets reassembled next week to confirm its compatibility with the new Hooker engine mounts and crossmember.
Ever get a chance to check the clearance with the gto/Mitsubishi alternator?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
Ever get a chance to check the clearance with the gto/Mitsubishi alternator?
No I haven't, but I'll see if I can round up a GTO alternator tomorrow and have a go at it. Are you running a quick ratio Saginaw 700 power steering box (Monte Carlo SS/similar), or do you have the standard 605 power steering box? The compatibility with various accessory drive set-ups differs depending on which steering box you have in your car.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm running the stock Monte Carlo ss steering box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2014, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6togo
Need 1" setback plates to fit Fboby pan without notching. May even need to hammer the frame just a tad. It hardly clears. I had a pic somewhere I saved with someone using fbody pan and 1" setbacks.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
I'm running the stock Monte Carlo ss steering box. Thank you!
You have more fitment options accessory wise with that box, so you are fortunate. I've not yet been able to confirm fitment of the GTO alternator with that box yet as we currently have a Delphi 600 box bolted up to the frame rail and it will remain there until next week. However, here's what I do know for those following:

If you are going to run the standard Saginaw 605 power steering box (the standard box on all G-bodies besides the Monte Carlo SS, Grand National and Turbo Regal) then you can run the truck, Corvette, CTS-V and Holley accessory drives and you'll need to swap in a smaller P/S pump pulley on the Corvette, CTS-V and Holley set-ups.

If you have the Saginaw quick ratio 700 series box installed on your car, or plan to upgrade to one, you'll have bolt-in fitment compatibility with the truck, F-body and GTO accessory drive set-ups. If the GTO alternator ends up not fitting, you'll have to swap an F-body alternator into the GTO bracket.

The frame can be notched on the passenger side to accommodate the installation of the truck A/C compressor, but no other low-mount compressors have been checked for similar adaptability at this point.

Holley offers compressor top-mount brackets for both the R4 and Sanden compressors for ease of installation.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

I would love to see the pis of the F body pan installed if you can find it i have some lead way on the mounts and can probably slide the engine back a bit more being i have no heater box.

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread