Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 Fiero swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

: eek: and wow!

You should use some plexiglass, so we can see a little engine from outside.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 AM
10 Second Club

That car should move pretty quick. Would like to see it completed. What's your goal completion date?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myfast70
That car should move pretty quick. Would like to see it completed. What's your goal completion date?
Yesterday!!! j/k

Well the car is going to be in a car show in Pontiac Michigan on the 24, 25 and 26. But I don't think it will be 100% complete. I'm still waiting for the transmission case to come back from the chrome plating.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Where in pontiac is the car show im 30 min from there and would love to see your car.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Detroit Marriott at Centerpoint, 3600 Centerpoint Parkway, Pontiac MI.

I will post before the show to let you know if the car will make it. The painter is very slow and Archie may not Get the car back until monday, thats just three days to put the car back together. Archie is good but ......
Old 07-18-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it makes the show, we need to see pics from the show posted up! I like seeing these conversions. I grew up in the northwest chicago burbs, and used to have a 84 serial #4. Was white with chrome wheels. It was a 6 cyl that we swapped in a turbo 3.8 from a turbo reagal. Wish I still had her. If I can find someone with a scanner, Il post up a pic, but I have no digital pics. Good luck, and screw the haters.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Unhappy

The car show is a no go.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrtroyboy
Yesterday!!! j/k

Well the car is going to be in a car show in Pontiac Michigan on the 24, 25 and 26. But I don't think it will be 100% complete. I'm still waiting for the transmission case to come back from the chrome plating.
Are you going to be at the Woodward Cruise? If so, any idea where you may be parked at? Would like to see the car in person.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, just post up as much as you can with the progress, and find a show somewhere when it is done and go to it and take pics. Even if it is a local cruise night or something.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's one crazy build man! Awesome work
Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Update:
Originally posted by Archie:

Well while Mark takes a break from working on the Perfect Union, we have it back at the shop.

I trailered up to Mark's place sunday afternoon & picked it up.

We unloaded it from the trailer this morning & got to work.

Here it is just after we unloaded it....

We put it up on jackstands so we could hang some pretty parts on it.....

Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

More:
Originally posted by Archie:

I had a hard time picking out the pics, so here are 8 of them.

Archie

Old 07-21-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Damn, thats alot of shine. Great looking build and attention to detail.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Teching In

All the chrome is a little much and makes it look like the cheap plastic chrome you see on kids toys. But if thats what the customer wants then I guess thats what they get. Would be nice if the motor was more centered in the engine bay instead of shoved over to the pass side. But I guess no one can figure out how to make this happen.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MstangsBware
All the chrome is a little much and makes it look like the cheap plastic chrome you see on kids toys. But if thats what the customer wants then I guess thats what they get. Would be nice if the motor was more centered in the engine bay instead of shoved over to the pass side. But I guess no one can figure out how to make this happen.
Well the customer is me and that's what I wanted, plus an LS7 even with chrome is far from your kids toy. If you know how to mount it more centered were open for suggestions, I'm sure you could figure out what to do with the tranny, useful help is always appreciated. May be you could post up pics of your LSX, I'm a junkie when it come to a good LSX install and would love to see it.

You know, after I thought about: It will be one of my toy's, and after it is done it will go into the toy box .

Last edited by mrtroyboy; 07-22-2008 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrtroyboy
Well the customer is me and that's what I wanted, plus an LS7 even with chrome is far from your kids toy. If you know how to mount it more centered were open for suggestions, I'm sure you could figure out what to do with the tranny, useful help is always appreciated. May be you could post up pics of your LSX, I'm a junkie when it come to a good LSX install and would love to see it.

You know, after I thought about: It will be one of my toy's, and after it is done it will go into the toy box .
Well I just happen to be workin on a LS4 install into my 88 GT at this time. Of course I am using the 65E trans is came with so I dont have to worry about killing the trans. I am doing all the work myself(Minus Engine Harness) so I work on it when I get a chance. I dont really have a reason to look into movin the setup over being it has already been done by others and I would never use a manuel trans on a high HP motor. My install came out centered but it is off from side to side by 1/4 inch as you can see in the picture. It is back out now and getting straightened up. The motor is installed using poly mounts with the addition of mounting pads added to the cradle for the engine mount. Hopefully the swap will be done in a month or so and on the road to work out any bugs. After a few months it will come out for some upgrades.

LS4 Test Fit:
Name:  LS4Install015.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  61.3 KB

3800SC Install:
Name:  GenV013.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  48.1 KB

Last edited by MstangsBware; 07-22-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Well I just happen to be workin on a LS4 install into my 88 GT at this time. Of course I am using the 65E trans is came with so I dont have to worry about killing the trans. I am doing all the work myself(Minus Engine Harness) so I work on it when I get a chance. I dont really have a reason to look into movin the setup over being it has already been done by others and I would never use a manuel trans on a high HP motor. My install came out centered but it is off from side to side by 1/4 inch as you can see in the picture. It is back out now and getting straightened up. The motor is installed using poly mounts with the addition of mounting pads added to the cradle for the engine mount. Hopefully the swap will be done in a month or so and on the road to work out any bugs. After a few months it will come out for some upgrades.

LS4 Test Fit:

3800SC Install:
LS4 and 3800SC cute motors, both will be faster than a stock fiero , good luck on your install and thanks for the pics. Some people may hate your swaps and try to undermine your hard work and efforts just ignore them I do
Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've been around Fieros since at least 2002 when you joined the Pennocks Fiero Forum. So what I'm about to tell you, you should already know. Maybe you're just ignoring the facts so you can pound your chest about your install.

If that's the case, I'd suggest you start your own thread on your LS4 install.

As you already know Troy prefers a stick shift. I also prefer stick shifts & I don't care if a stick shift is a full second slower than an automatic. A sports car type car, IMHO is no fun to drive without stirring your own gears.

It's never been my goal to build the fastest Fiero on the planet, it's my goal to build cars I like to drive.

You talk about centering the engine in the engine compartment. If you look at any FWD transverse engined car like the Impala that your LS4 driveline came out of, the engines are not centered in the engine compartment. Instead the entire driveline (engine & transmission) are centered in the engine compartment. If you look in a stock Fiero engine compartment, you'll see that the driveline is centered in the car not the engine. The only reason the engine looks to be more in the center is because it's 2 cylinders less.

I note that you didn't show a picture of your LS4 from the rear of the car but on your 6 banger, if you look at the relationship of the valve covers to the decklid hinge boxes, you can see that the engine is not in the center of the car. Also if that install was with an engine that was 2 cylinders bigger, it would appear to be even more off center to the right.

Now as far as this driveline is concerned. The total length of the engine/transmission assembly is 39.45" long. The total width of the Fiero engine compartment at the Centerline of the crankshaft is 39.25" wide. So this driveline is as centered in the engine compartment as it can be without moving the frame rails outboard. On this swap the rear cylinder head (without the Coil Cover) clears the right side shock tower by a couple of inches & there’s plenty of room for everything else. So we’re satisfied with the result. It has always been the goal of every hot rodder interested in hybrid swaps to pack as much engine into a car as that car will take. That's what hot rodding is all about.

You're statement advocates having the engine centered in the compartment. If GM, Ford, Honda or any other manufacturer had that policy as a standard, then almost all transverse FWD cars would be several inches wider.

The LS4 is a cool swap if you’re into automatics. More power to you. You should start your own thread on this forum, you’ll find that the members here will be very supportive & won’t diss you because of your choices for your car.

This thread on LS1Tech has been very revealing to me. The members of LS1Tech & especially those that read the hybrid section, have been very accepting of this & many other deviations from the norm. The only people that have been making negative comments on the Chrome or any of the other personal choices made by Troy have been so called “Fiero lovers” that could have made those comments on any of the Fiero forums. But instead they decided to take their hatred of other Fiero owners & their choices outside of the Fiero world for all to see.

Then those same people will go back within the Fiero community & complain that the Fiero gets no respect from the outside world.

Is it any wonder?

Archie
Old 07-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Archie,

I love your comments. I have never owned a Fiero, but I can say, what you do with these cars is just great. I am not sure it is sane, or safe...but who am I to argue those points? Keep it up, Cool little cars with big engines will always be cool to see and play with.

Orlando
Old 07-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

i got a couple of friends with fieros, either with straight 3800's or 3800SC's they are badass lil cars

Quick Reply: LS7 Fiero swap