Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS2 APS w/ lg turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Borrow a power probe and check the grounds on back of the head. and check the engine to chassis grounds too.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those LG turbos are causing your starting problems..Sell them to me for cheap and will trade you my aps ones. My car starts great with my original aps turbos..

Kidding of course..

I know zip about ls2s and tried to search on the net for you but came up with nothing.
Am very curious to see what it will be when you get it figured out.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:48 PM
9 Second Club

guys you got to be kidding me the back of the head
thats the first thing i looked at guys but keep sending me ideas at this piont ill take anything
i have more data than most that i can help me ie aldata, scan tools,hp tuners and you all on here LOL

Last edited by tomz28; 09-27-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:08 AM
TECH Veteran

What about that Case learn thing..didn't you say you got some crank sensor code?

Seems to me if you are getting proper signal and power to the crank sensor then mabye the case learn thing is what you have to do.cam sensor don't stop it from starting.
And you said you have changed out crank sensor and ecu and coils.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

no code
crank sensor,ecu,coils have been chage out
its a good thing we have a lot of LS stuff laying around LOL
im going to put a harness in today and we will see what happens
Old 09-27-2009, 12:59 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are your engine accessories in the stock location IE: Coil relocation or anything like that? And it depends on which LS2 cover you have they made two different sensors. Also if you bought it from a vendor they may have swapped the wires on the short harness on the cover. I have seen it both ways. So just double check that and like Frost said it won't usually keep the car from starting, but it will make it difficult to start. The crank sensor not working will keep it from starting. Are you 100% about the reluctor? and are you sure you didn't bend it while instaling/working on the motor. I've seen that a few times. Guy doing there own work pick up a motor and it moves in the back of there truck etc.. Bends the reluctor and or breaks some of the teeth off and they are calling me lol! Its hard to diagnose this stuff over the internet with out seeing the car in person etc... GL!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the problems Tom, but you will get it worked out, its a sweet build, cant wait to see it run.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also maybe im just shooting in the dark but is there any way your first problem could have caused the second problem? Maybe like was mentioned before the reluctor wheel could be off or pushed forword by the trans and its out of range of the sensor?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:29 AM
9 Second Club

i looked at the wheel its welded on the crank it looked fine im going to change the harness next i started that to day
also i put my computer in my boys car and it started right up it ran like **** be it started

i check the part numbers on the ls2 cam sensor ( its the tan color one) the wiring is in the right spot but its still has no cam singal but it should start something is wrong i just cant find it
Old 09-28-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Must be wiring if you have no cam signal. And mabye something whacked with the crank signal since that is the one that makes things not start.So you have no tach? That is sign the cam sensor isn't working. At least your cam sensor is in front of the engine. Mine was big pain being behind intake. And finally figured out could test it with intake manifold off the car and just turning over the motor and watching it with the hptuners.

Sounds like something is wrong with the wiring harness.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tomz28
a stock plug is something like 1.100 the callies was .950
so as along as the plug is deeper than 1.1 it should be fine
ok if you look at the picture i posted i hpope you can help me out. the inside lip is at 1.5" and then the outside hub is at 2"

so i should be fine?
Attached Thumbnails LS2 APS w/ lg turbos-rear-plug.jpg  
Old 09-28-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

So what the heck is happening with this car Tom buddy??Do I have to fly down there and kick some marine butt! LOL kidding....
But seriously man did you get that new harness in there?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:47 AM
11 Second Club

Yea we ran a extra M6 harness I have. Same exact problem. When we tried my PCM in his car it had VATS enabled. Im hopefully getting my car tuned for meth and my 3.89's tomorrow and will get VATS's disabled and will see if his car starts with my PCM again. This car is gonna kill us!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

I thought you simply turn off vats in hptuners. Also if you change ecu thoght you had to do case relearn? I was thinking problem the the ls2 harness but that is just knock sensors and cam sensor? I have 6.0 iron block not ls2.
Unless some wires got damaged to the crank sensor and does his cam sensor work or not? You can see if it works in hptuners if you crank the car and set it on the scanner .The numbers start going up on cam sensor readings even if you only crank the car don't even have to start it up.Course cam sensor don't stop car from starting and running.

But then again you guys said you had crank signal on the scanners.

Car sure is making no sense. Can the reluctor wheel be out of position from when it pushed the crank ahead?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:13 AM
9 Second Club

we are going back to trying his PCM one more time after that its above me
Old 10-01-2009, 12:14 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
ok if you look at the picture i posted i hpope you can help me out. the inside lip is at 1.5" and then the outside hub is at 2"

so i should be fine?
its more than what you need LOL
hope this helps
Old 10-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Banned

^^^ thank you
Old 10-01-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Weird everything was working fine till you did the swap. Now since you got the problem.So seems it has to be something got damaged on the install like harness and especially connection to crank sensor or ignition coils.Cam sensor already agreed dont' cause no start ,hard start or slow start but not no start. Unless you ecu is fried you can't try yours in another car maybe?
Could be vats with other ecu or case learn thing you can turn off vats in hptuners pretty sure or do vats relearn maybe.Thought case learn still let car run but not as sure on that.
Harness being wrong on the ls2 thought it was only for cam sensor and knock sensors but can a problem with it cause no start.

So it still just turns over and don't fire up or it fires and then stalls right away.
I had some weird issue where mine would start and then stall right away but finally it would start and stay running.It may have been an issue with 2.23 beta on hptuners.I switched back to 2.22 and so far its been fine. May have been some other setting that had whacked out. I never changed ecu in mine but did change OS to 2002 car with different vin. I did a vats relink in hptuners not sure had to but it was simple.

When swapping in my 408 we managed to somehow stretch a connector on the cam sensor connector so it was intermittent .Drove me nuts but eventually figured it out.
Being behind intake meant had to take intake off and then figured out could turn over the car not running and watch hptuners scanner and make sure cam sensor was working.It was worse in my case as was trying to run 120 low impedence and they won't stay running when cam sensor goes does. Car goes from sequential to batch fire and the big injectors don't work that way.

If ecu is not the issue would look hard at wire broken or pulled out of connector start checking wires with test to crank sensor and coils.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Hopefully my PCM solves the problem! If it doesnt I think were gonna lose it
Old 10-01-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Why would his ecu be a problem? Did you try vats link in hptuners..or what about caselearn? Not sure if caselearn works right on hptuners though might have to use different scantool?

Really pulling for you to get this thing running Tom. I just went for a ride in my buddies 2001 z28 with my t56 transplanted into it. So looking at my car dead in garage waiting on the new trans. Might not get my car up till spring now and already going into boost withdrawal.Course have ticking time bomb APS turbos in there still to so maybe better dont' drive it anymore this year till get upgraded ones in.

I envy your weather..it was like 80 last week and today is like 48 out . And only going to start getting colder. Good news turbos love cold. ,bad news traction gets even more non existant!

Well rambling..will stay glued to the thread for some hopefully good news.

Quick Reply: LS2 APS w/ lg turbos