Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler: The Data

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

All I know is fuel pressure dropped, the calibration we have setup saved it, we reviewed the logs and made appropriate changes to allow normal functionality. 5 minutes of work, no harm done, life goes on for me and the motor.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gtistile
All I know is fuel pressure dropped, the calibration we have setup saved it, we reviewed the logs and made appropriate changes to allow normal functionality. 5 minutes of work, no harm done, life goes on for me and the motor.
Holley>417/LJMS
Old 04-03-2017, 03:01 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
lol If we used AIT 160F to limit the car we could never make a pass!!
LOL. But very sorry that you are fighting this issue. Bad deal and they need to make it right.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Spray a lot of nitrous into it...that should help cool it lol.

417 seem to claim there are loads out there ? is there any evidence on actual numbers ? Have you spoken to any real people who are using it with success ?
Old 04-03-2017, 05:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

417 seem to claim there are loads out there ? is there any evidence on actual numbers ? Have you spoken to any real people who are using it with success ?
Loads of big cube high dollar engines that make retardo power NA and require little boost for big numbers maybe?
Old 04-03-2017, 05:43 PM
9 Second Club

If there's no boost...there will be no heat worth talking about.

But a lot of these companies always blab a load of ***** about hundreds...thousands etc of people using their product to make it sound great, when in reality they've probably sold only a handful.

And often good news stories you hear on forums, can be "sponsored" posts....ie not genuine user purchases.

Although if air temps are well into the 400's....that's a shitload of heat to get rid of. On the cheap, water injection would really kill some of it
Old 04-03-2017, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

I have been told there are over 450 units in use, and to date mine is the *only* unit to ever have this issue. Which puzzles me why I'm not able to get any help despite exhausting every known/suggested possibility of improving the coolers performance. I've now been accused of "bashing" the product when in fact all I have done is provide data (ok I did call it a paperweight on the last page, but come on, that's literally what it's going to be if it doesn't work, I won't keep this on my car performing like this, why would I?)

That said, I have spoken with several others who have had the same issue and simply moved on. When I was told I should see no more than 30* rise through a pass, that the cars running them making 1200+whp on significant boost levels rarely see north of 120* and that is how the intercooler is supposed to perform, I started on this journey. At first I was told I had the sensor placed wrong, then too small of lines, then too small of a pump, then a pump that couldn't overcome g-forces, then sensors that were incorrect, then an ECU that was reading incorrectly, then a turbo that generated heat "like the surface of the sun"....etc. These were all things I was told at one point or another were the culprit, and hence all the testing.

I've very carefully demonstrated each one of those to work flawlessly on my car after doing change after change, test after test at their suggestion, and yet here I am.

I have been 110% strait forward and honest with all of my testing and information as I've never tried to mislead anyone. I have nothing to gain by doing so, I just want the product I paid for to work as advertised and promised. If it doesn't/can't/won't, then I'd it'd be stand-up of them to take care of it. At this point I'm not crossing my fingers.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:34 PM
9 Second Club

As others have said, you've went far above what most people would have done, even spending more time/money/life testing when you've known the product does not work for you.

450 is a lot of units....I'd be rather sceptical of that number but you never know.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:10 PM
8 Second Club

It's all horse **** and the fact that they won't give you any info on the unit or help you move forward is indicative of that. Be assured that they have read this thread and the one on YB. Maybe you can rest a little better knowing that there are hundreds if not thousands of people that will steer clear of their products now. Thanks for that.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been told there are over 450 units in use, and to date mine is the *only* unit to ever have this issue. Which puzzles me why I'm not able to get any help despite exhausting every known/suggested possibility of improving the coolers performance...
Have you had a discussion with them about sending the unit back, for them to test on a known vehicle? It very well might be a manufacturing defect of some sort. I'd assume, if they can't produce identical results against a known good unit, they'd send you a replacement.

I'd think it's worth a shot.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SethU
Have you had a discussion with them about sending the unit back, for them to test on a known vehicle? It very well might be a manufacturing defect of some sort. I'd assume, if they can't produce identical results against a known good unit, they'd send you a replacement.

I'd think it's worth a shot.
I'm trying to make something happen. We'll see
Old 04-03-2017, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

If 417 is a legit/stand up company, they would have swapped the unit and done an in house test to validate the performance when the issue began. I'd expect them to have everything necessary to fixture and collect temps,pressures, flow, thermal transfer, etc. If they had an issue with the customers application, they could've provided a test plan and recommended sensors to capture the required data to resolve the issue. Unfortunately it seems, they were hoping the OP would just go away. Hopefully, they'll have the "come to Jesus" epiphany and choose to make things good. Companies don't have these problems exceeding customer expectations. It's free advertising! We'll see. Great job OP for hanging in there!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

The interesting thing is that there ARE some guys who have had really good results with the 417 cooler and they provided data logs to back their claims. I think the issue is deeper than it seems.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:00 PM
8 Second Club

Going to be making some test hits tomorrow on the streets. We will have some data to share. Don't hold your breath.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

The thread is kinda long to go back through at this point but was it confirmed that there is no restriction inside the cooler blocking coolant flow? Like a possible piece of debris or something/solder etc? Not sure how one would check for this.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 534 Likes on 396 Posts

In this industry there is a huge difference between 450 sold and 450 being used.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

Quite true...could be 400 of them sitting in peoples garages gathering dust.....but hoping someday they might get some hot air through them !

And then another 40 on builds "capable" of 1500hp...but they're only running low boost for now...LOLZ

and maybe 10 pushing hard.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me tell you something. In one instance in particular on my Facebook thread a guy chimed in saying "I just got mine and it's great!!!"

Naturally I shot the guy a message to get details/specifics. Next thing you know he's telling me his truck hasn't run yet as the build isn't complete. True story.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 750 Likes on 407 Posts

Let me tell you something. In one instance in particular on my Facebook thread a guy chimed in saying "I just got mine and it's great!!!"

Naturally I shot the guy a message to get details/specifics. Next thing you know he's telling me his truck hasn't run yet as the build isn't complete. True story.
3k later,...i would have also been that guy...almost! Im so mad at it, i deleted every pic in my phone of this set up and just orderd my treadstone tvr25 A2A instead. I ll figure out ac another winter from now.
Im gunna cross link this to a guy on another forum building a beautiful twin turbo nova using this set up currently. Doubt the car is running yet, but its close n id hate to seem him chase his tail a bit
Old 04-04-2017, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron_Stoppable
The interesting thing is that there ARE some guys who have had really good results with the 417 cooler and they provided data logs to back their claims. I think the issue is deeper than it seems.
Do you have a link? It would make for an interesting read. I linked earlier in the thread to an employee at Lingenfelter who tried one of their own early prototypes and he took it off as it did not help. He was only logging track times as I remember.

Quick Reply: 417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler: The Data