Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler: The Data

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Although LJMS is a vendor, was he the vendor in this instance though ?

Are 417 a sponsor here ? was it bought direct ?

Obviously the issues here are with the product and potentially whoever sold it in the first place which may not be LJMS.
I dont think it was bought direct from LJMS, but could be wrong. The OP made several posts that he in conjunction with 417 made the OP jump through all these hoops blaming the setup and refused to accept that the product was a POS.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Lol. Only an idiot would call it a POS. The craftsmanship and execution is very nice, just not large enough for what he is doing
Old 04-05-2017, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Lol. Only an idiot would call it a POS. The craftsmanship and execution is very nice, just not large enough for what he is doing
Wait....so I'm the idiot for calling it a POS when the 1500hp cooler is really rated to half that? Who cares if its machined from a billet piece of unobtainium if it doesn't perform. Only an idiot would care about form and not function
Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 750 Likes on 407 Posts

I have a shiny cubic zirconia for sale for diamond prices!!! Is it not a pos bcuz it was crafted nicely and almost looks like a real diamond? Im sorry, but this IC is NOT cheap and being represented as a 1500hp rated unit...that is wrong and border line theft by deception imho. Now if they sold it and said buyer beware, we think it works, it will cool the charge, individual results may vary, good luck after 700hp, if it aint working right, throw more parts, time, and YOUR money at it. Oh sorry we failed you, now YOU are on YOUR own. Feel free to sell it off to the next unsuspecting victim.
Important thing is this thread is being kept alive for ALL to see. Carry on with the blame/insults/slander everyone

Last edited by rkupon1; 04-05-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:28 AM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Wait....so I'm the idiot for calling it a POS when the 1500hp cooler is really rated to half that? Who cares if its machined from a billet piece of unobtainium if it doesn't perform. Only an idiot would care about form and not function
Well.... Yes

Because they over play the capacity advertising doesn't change the quality of the product

That's like taking the best 120lb injector on the market and calling in a POS because it won't supply enough fuel to feed 2500hp

The 417 core is 21% smaller than a garrett 1000hp core..... And the Garrett is more efficient than a bell....

Should be fairly easy to draw a conclusion if you use common sense
Old 04-06-2017, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well.... Yes

Because they over play the capacity advertising doesn't change the quality of the product

That's like taking the best 120lb injector on the market and calling in a POS because it won't supply enough fuel to feed 2500hp

The 417 core is 21% smaller than a garrett 1000hp core..... And the Garrett is more efficient than a bell....

i think the biggest complaint here is the false advertising. would you would be totally happy if chevy sold you a camaro with 500 advertised horsepower and delivered a 200 HP car? it still runs great and gets 30 mpg so you should be happy even though you paid top dollar for a high performance car.

and if you're still not happy, sell it to someone else, advertise it as a 500 HP car and let it be their disappointment...

Last edited by TXsilverado; 04-06-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.... Yes

Are those 120lb injectors advertised as capable of supporting 2500hp?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Well.... Yes

I don't even need to respond to this, everyone who posted above proved my point. Either you didnt actually read the thread or are somehow connected with 417 or LJMS. You mention common sense, but don't seem to have much. Product doesn't remotely meet what is advertised, that would make it a POS....regardless of how pretty it is.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Well.... Yes

We could make comparisons all day long. The reality of it is, 417 Motorsports seems to be in agreement that there's something wrong too. Being that they've made recommendations to improve the condition, and requested further testing to verify an issue of substandard performance actually exists.

This, to me, is a pretty clear indication that either A) the unit in question is not producing the results they would expect, or B) they have no idea what to expect.

It could be either. It's a good looking piece. But then again, for instance, Huron Speed has introduced their 88mm turbo and priced it at the same cost as a BW 88... $2500 The BW part is the product of scientific design, testing, redesign, and testing that a huge corporation can afford. They provide compressor maps, so you know what to expect. The Huron part has a cool looking bullet shaped compressor nut, a polished compressor housing, and they have not done any form of testing. They haven't even run one on an engine. They have no idea how well or poorly it will perform. You bet that cool looking nut will sell some units. There's a huge market of people that drop coin because something looks cool.

However, there's one thing I don't recall seeing in the Huron post... any stated performance expectation.

So, what level of market competitor is 417 Motorsports? Are they a business that's only into it for the 1 time sale? Producing products that look good, yet perform poor? Or, are they truly interested in producing a quality product that performs as good as it looks?

Time will tell.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:45 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by SethU
We could make comparisons all day long. The reality of it is, 417 Motorsports seems to be in agreement that there's something wrong too. Being that they've made recommendations to improve the condition, and requested further testing to verify an issue of substandard performance actually exists.

This, to me, is a pretty clear indication that either A) the unit in question is not producing the results they would expect, or B) they have no idea what to expect.

It could be either. It's a good looking piece. But then again, for instance, Huron Speed has introduced their 88mm turbo and priced it at the same cost as a BW 88... $2500 The BW part is the product of scientific design, testing, redesign, and testing that a huge corporation can afford. They provide compressor maps, so you know what to expect. The Huron part has a cool looking bullet shaped compressor nut, a polished compressor housing, and they have not done any form of testing. They haven't even run one on an engine. They have no idea how well or poorly it will perform. You bet that cool looking nut will sell some units. There's a huge market of people that drop coin because something looks cool.

However, there's one thing I don't recall seeing in the Huron post... any stated performance expectation.

So, what level of market competitor is 417 Motorsports? Are they a business that's only into it for the 1 time sale? Producing products that look good, yet perform poor? Or, are they truly interested in producing a quality product that performs as good as it looks?

Time will tell.
We actually have tested the huronspeed/comp 88mm. But I was asked to remove my review for the meantime. Unlike 417 and LJMS, Huronspeed does have good customer service.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 730 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i think the biggest complaint here is the false advertising. would you would be totally happy if chevy sold you a camaro with 500 advertised horsepower and delivered a 200 HP car? it still runs great and gets 30 mpg so you should be happy even though you paid top dollar for a high performance car.

and if you're still not happy, sell it to someone else, advertise it as a 500 HP car and let it be their disappointment...
Where is this false advertisement? Anyone have a link? You CAN make 1500hp on that intercooler. It will physically flow enough air. It’s just application specific… Similar to turbos, fuel pumps, etc. Some can make 1500hp on low boost or with larger turbo(s) that don’t heat the air as much and it will do an “OK” job of cooling at those levels. I don’t see it claiming anywhere that it will cool the air temps down below ambient at 28-30psi on any turbo setup? My Magnafuel 4303 pump is rated at 2000hp...not happening at the pressures and fuel I run.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Where is this false advertisement? Anyone have a link? You CAN make 1500hp on that intercooler. It will physically flow enough air. It’s just application specific… Similar to turbos, fuel pumps, etc. Some can make 1500hp on low boost or with larger turbo(s) that don’t heat the air as much and it will do an “OK” job of cooling at those levels. I don’t see it claiming anywhere that it will cool the air temps down below ambient at 28-30psi on any turbo setup? My Magnafuel 4303 pump is rated at 2000hp...not happening at the pressures and fuel I run.
I agree. I don't see false advertising issue either.

However, I would like to see this specific unit perform at a level that's agreeable to most, as satisfactory. Or, for them (417) to say this is what you should expect from their product when used in this application.

So far, the evidence indicates they (417) expect it to provide better results than it is. Otherwise, why all the input on improving flow and requests for additional testing?
Old 04-06-2017, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
We actually have tested the huronspeed/comp 88mm. But I was asked to remove my review for the meantime. Unlike 417 and LJMS, Huronspeed does have good customer service.
Yeah. I've heard great things about Huron's service, and not to say that unit is good or bad. Just that they're asking full, name brand price, for a knock off with a cool looking nut and make no performance claims.

Personally, the price would have to be a dramatic savings for me to pass up on the intense engineering and testing BW does in favor of the knock off option with the cool looking nut. I own knock off turbos. However, I didn't pay premium prices for them.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1500HP capable semi-intercooler.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
1500HP capable semi-intercooler.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

The product is misleading. Yes, it may be able to flow 1500hp of air and actually produce 1500hp using methanol, whatever. What's missing is the efficiency spec and test parameters that achieved said spec. The takeaway for me is, when spec'ing a part or system, what is the goal/requirement and does the product meet/exceed the need

At this point, I think it was mentioned, the cheapest option may be water/meth injection to reduce pre-cooler temps.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:57 PM
8 Second Club

I hate defending a company I know nothing about, but what intercooler out their lists what you are asking? I'm not aware of any that list an efficiency spec. I agree that would be great, but it doesn't happen.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I hate defending a company I know nothing about, but what intercooler out their lists what you are asking? I'm not aware of any that list an efficiency spec. I agree that would be great, but it doesn't happen.
All of Treadstones intercoolers show a rated pressure drop at maximum CFM, for their intercoolers.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 476 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by simple
All of Treadstones intercoolers show a rated pressure drop at maximum CFM, for their intercoolers.
Just an observation, but pressure drop is perhaps the most easily tested and least useful data for an intercooler. If we only use that spec, a piece of straight tubing would be the best intercooler. Actual efficiency as a working intercooler is a much more complicated matter to determine, and would vary a lot depending on each particular car combo. However, I have certainly never seen a multi-page thread questioning whether or not a Treadstone works as advertised.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:24 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by simple
Most do. That doesn't give any indication of temperature drop efficiency. The design of the 417 core will flow a ton VS a typical 3"-4" inlet/outlet horizontal flow IC. That doesn't mean it will cool the air better.

Quick Reply: 417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler: The Data