Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler: The Data

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 05:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And that's the point! Without trying to sound like stevieturbo (but I'm going to) a 4inch pipe can flow a **** to. If air but will offer no cooling! Just quoting flow rates and pressure drop for an intercooler (regardless of type) is only painting one side of the picture!

Now it's not easy to paint the full picture for ANY intercooler as there are masses of variables. Hence why the pig players will give BHP rating only. It's a simple understandable way for the public to size their products. They can't say "For xyz car running this setup you will see this temp drop and this pressure drop at 50mph road speed" because it would be impossiable to test all situations.

Also I think hat A2A Intercoolers get away with a lot as most of you spray a ton of meth and that hides how good, or bad, your intercooler is at cooling. I'm. It saying it's a bad thing, but here is NO info out there of people runnng tests without meth.

I however feel the cooler the OP is using is to thin to offer any decent level of cooling. If it were me I would be looking for a Garrett 1000bhpnair to water core to make fit in its place. You could even rob one from a GT500! In the Ford people have made MASSIVE power using the stock cooler (with water flow mods).
Old 04-07-2017, 08:00 AM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I don't even need to respond to this, everyone who posted above proved my point. Either you didnt actually read the thread or are somehow connected with 417 or LJMS. You mention common sense, but don't seem to have much. Product doesn't remotely meet what is advertised, that would make it a POS....regardless of how pretty it is.
You are special that's why

My intercooler is a POS china crap pot, horrible workmanship and quality........ But it handles more heat than the 417 because it is over twice the volume.......

Doesn't change the fact that it is a POS and the 417 is very nice

You literally sound like a fking moron
Old 04-07-2017, 08:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

For me, any part that does not perform as it should is a piece of ****. Doesnt matter whether it's dressed up and all shiny, if does not do its job it is ****.

Now it could make a nice paperwight or ornament, and for that application it may be superb.

But a cooler that does not cool....pretty or ugly, it is ****.

But as others have said, 1500hp means absolutely nothing and in some ways it is strange core suppliers cannot provide efficiency data for cooling.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
for me, any part that does not perform as it should is a piece of ****. Doesnt matter whether it's dressed up and all shiny, if does not do its job it is ****.

Now it could make a nice paperwight or ornament, and for that application it may be superb.

But a cooler that does not cool....pretty or ugly, it is ****.

But as others have said, 1500hp means absolutely nothing and in some ways it is strange core suppliers cannot provide efficiency data for cooling.
x2 x2 x2
Old 04-07-2017, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc

You literally sound like a fking moron
Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you. And apparently lousy at arguing cause you claim the china A2W is a POS....but it handles heat better than the 417.....making the 417 a POS. But please continue arguing away.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:07 AM
8 Second Club

Are you guys ******* retarded literally?

The China I have is twice the size.... Durp

The 417 does just fine cooling for the size of the core it uses.

It's absolutely no different than taking a beautifully made unit with a garrett 1k core and pumping 2khp through it and calling it a POS because it can't control the heat...... Duuurrp

The 417 core is 21% smaller than a garrett 1k core what the hell do you expect

Cry because they advertise it as a 1500hp? . Boo hoo use some common sense and geometry, not that difficult

I
Old 04-07-2017, 10:08 AM
8 Second Club

132 in the 1/4 with a turbo LS... Wtf, u sure you aren't retarded?
Old 04-07-2017, 10:32 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Most do. That doesn't give any indication of temperature drop efficiency. The design of the 417 core will flow a ton VS a typical 3"-4" inlet/outlet horizontal flow IC. That doesn't mean it will cool the air better.
Originally Posted by gametech
Just an observation, but pressure drop is perhaps the most easily tested and least useful data for an intercooler. If we only use that spec, a piece of straight tubing would be the best intercooler. Actual efficiency as a working intercooler is a much more complicated matter to determine, and would vary a lot depending on each particular car combo. However, I have certainly never seen a multi-page thread questioning whether or not a Treadstone works as advertised.
I get what your saying about efficiency, but you can generally determine which intercooler will work better for your application based on the cfm rating before pressure loss, the core design, and fin density all of which most core manufacturers publish. If you have one intercooler that flows 1000cfm of bar and plate design and a tube and fin that flows 500cfm the 1000cfm unit is going to be more efficient (assuming we are talking about intercooler cores that are meant to remove heat and not open pipe). If the engine demands 1300cfm and your intercooler only flows 600 then its not going to be very efficient. There is a reason core manufacturer state CFM, pressure drop, core design, etc.

If my Treadstone intercooler had IAT's like the OP has experienced I would absolutely expect them to do something about it. If a Treadstone is rated for 1000hp and it cant cool 1000hp worth of air to then its junk. Like you said you don't see many threads about Treadstone intercoolers not performing for their rated power. If this 417 intercooler is only rated at 1500hp on an efficient setup then it should be advertised as such. But really it seems the 417 piece was designed as a compromise unit and marketed without stating its limitations. The Treadstone supported power ratings seem to be worst case scenario and 417's rating appear to be best case scenario.

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Also I think hat A2A Intercoolers get away with a lot as most of you spray a ton of meth and that hides how good, or bad, your intercooler is at cooling. I'm. It saying it's a bad thing, but here is NO info out there of people runnng tests without meth.
Did you read the thread? We absolutely have info from multiple cars without meth. We ran the same turbo, in the same location, at the same boost, on the same fuel, with the same timing, etc etc. The difference being the intercooler, all had air to air intercoolers and one having an air to water. Every single air to air car has much lower intake air temps then the air to water, which is exactly the opposite of what we expected for an intercooler taking an ice bath going down the track.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:40 AM
8 Second Club

It's absolutely no different than taking a beautifully made unit with a garrett 1k core and pumping 2khp through it and calling it a POS because it can't control the heat...... Duuurrp

Cry because they advertise it as a 1500hp? . Boo hoo use some common sense and geometry, not that difficult

I

I think you missed where the manufacturer has repeatedly told the OP this unit will cool 1500hp worth of air on his car with his setup. By doing so they are obviously not using common sense and geometry as you state. Nobody is crying about the advertisement, its the fact they wont take the unit back when its not working as they stated. Nor would they offer the 2000hp piece in exchange because they repeatedly said the 1500hp should more then handle what he's doing even though its obviously doesn't despite installing every recommended upgrade to support it.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

I
so the OP and all 20 pages of data is all crap cause he didn't use common sense based on the dimensions of the package, are you for real?
Old 04-07-2017, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

132 in the 1/4 with a turbo LS... Wtf, u sure you aren't retarded?
Absolutely....at 3800lbs and 8psi on pump gas with a/c driving to the track in my 6 speed getting 30mpg....so go ahead and get off my nuts you premadonna with your race car and STFU.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
The difference being the intercooler, all had air to air intercoolers and one having an air to water. Every single air to air car has much lower intake air temps then the air to water, which is exactly the opposite of what we expected for an intercooler taking an ice bath going down the track.

But did they all have comparable cooling area ?

All the water cores seem to be tiny in comparison to an A2A. Pumping ice through something where air only spends a fraction of the time it might in an A2A with ambient air cooling almost seems pointless.

Cooling area is required regardless of type of cooler.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:18 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
But did they all have comparable cooling area ?

All the water cores seem to be tiny in comparison to an A2A. Pumping ice through something where air only spends a fraction of the time it might in an A2A with ambient air cooling almost seems pointless.

Cooling area is required regardless of type of cooler.
That's pretty much the point, they do not have comparable cooling area or CFM ratings. That was discussed earlier in this thread how the Treadstone is rated for 1300cfm and rated for 1000hp and the 417 flows about 650cfm and rated for 1500hp. The Treadstone is also about $300 which is almost $2500 cheaper then what it takes to run the 417 with all suggested upgrades. I agree it needs more cooling area, if it were twice as thick I think it would work much better which is why we wanted to test the 2000hp version well before this thread was started. Unfortunately the business sense seems to be lacking as much as the cooling area over at 417.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
That's pretty much the point, they do not have comparable cooling area or CFM ratings. That was discussed earlier in this thread how the Treadstone is rated for 1300cfm and rated for 1000hp and the 417 flows about 650cfm and rated for 1500hp. The Treadstone is also about $300 which is almost $2500 cheaper then what it takes to run the 417 with all suggested upgrades. I agree it needs more cooling area, if it were twice as thick I think it would work much better which is why we wanted to test the 2000hp version well before this thread was started. Unfortunately the business sense seems to be lacking as much as the cooling area over at 417.
But generally those are airflow ratings for the charge air passage. Not what area they have available for cooling media
Old 04-07-2017, 12:46 PM
8 Second Club

so the OP and all 20 pages of data is all crap cause he didn't use common sense based on the dimensions of the package, are you for real?
Dur the data matches what it should for a core that size.
It would be adequate for the low power people like yourself
Old 04-07-2017, 12:48 PM
8 Second Club

Absolutely....at 3800lbs and 8psi on pump gas with a/c driving to the track in my 6 speed getting 30mpg....so go ahead and get off my nuts you premadonna with your race car and STFU.
Dayum can you put bullets next time so it is easier to follow the excuse list
Old 04-07-2017, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

Dur the data matches what it should for a core that size.
It would be adequate for the low power people like yourself
Whatever you say.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Na, just pointing out what it means to have a real street car without sacrificing creature comforts.....just stuff guys like you don't understand. Dont worry about it.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 528 Likes on 391 Posts

Old 04-07-2017, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
Whats up Dave, haven't seen you in forever. You still playing with cars?

Quick Reply: 417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler: The Data