Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler: The Data

Old 03-14-2017, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The temp data can be easily verified by a Fluke meter and thermo couple. Rig it up so it sees the air the MAT sensor sees and set the meter to record the high.

Im willing to bet that cooler isnt doing **** and it needs to go. There isnt enough surface area. Id also be interested to see the pressure drop accross it.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

It would be fun to see a back to back run with and with out the cooler completely

Id bet 20$ there wont be more then a 15 degree drop.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

It would be interesting to add a couple of surface temp thermocouples along with adding a Phenolic type Intake spacer ( between the intake manifold and the cylinder head) to see if there would be a difference in thermal transfer along with IAT temps. I'd even go a mile further and add a phenolic spacer between the intercooler and both halves of the Intake plenums to completely isolate the intercooler from having any type of metal to metal contact with the intake
Old 03-14-2017, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Are you sure there isnt a rag stuffed into the water intake ports?
lol, very sure.

Originally Posted by dburt86
The temp data can be easily verified by a Fluke meter and thermo couple. Rig it up so it sees the air the MAT sensor sees and set the meter to record the high.

Im willing to bet that cooler isnt doing **** and it needs to go. There isnt enough surface area. Id also be interested to see the pressure drop accross it.
Pre-cooler readings coming as soon as there isn't snow on the ground. Damnit we made it the WHOLE winter without snow, now it's race time and 3 back to back weekends the weather has shafted us. I'm itching like a crackhead to get to banging gears and setting new PBs... Oh yea, and collecting data in the process
Old 03-14-2017, 11:09 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Have you tried tapping into the sensors 5v supply and monitoring the supply voltage during a pull?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default if you are still testing

If you are still testing I would change the surface tension of the water and see if there is an effect. try some water wetter, would just be interesting.
Attached Thumbnails 417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler:  The Data-waterwetter.jpg  
Old 03-14-2017, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gtistile
lol, very sure.

Pre-cooler readings coming as soon as there isn't snow on the ground. Damnit we made it the WHOLE winter without snow, now it's race time and 3 back to back weekends the weather has shafted us. I'm itching like a crackhead to get to banging gears and setting new PBs... Oh yea, and collecting data in the process
Tell me about it, we are getting fist fucked by this storm right now.

Ive been spending stupid money on car parts while being snowed in.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by gtistile
lol, very sure.

Try packing the intake with snow ? lol
Old 03-14-2017, 01:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Have you tried tapping into the sensors 5v supply and monitoring the supply voltage during a pull?
Most temperature sensors to not reference off an external 5v supply.

They reference to ground and the signal line internally has a pullup to near 5v.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 window
Seems like awful lot of BS for an intercooler that you pay that much for!
^ This pretty much sums it up!

All this talk of thermocouples and unicorns dicks is all bullshit you shouldn't have to deal with when you buy a product that works. The fact that the OP has gone this far to try and make it work amazes me, I would have tossed it in the trash a long time ago.

It would be fun to see a back to back run with and with out the cooler completely

I'd bet $20 the car will go faster without it. It's 100lbs of dead weight not doing a goddamn thing to help it get down the track.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bet you $2000 it'll take at least 150* out of the charge air on my car.

I think a couple of us that want to see him succeed have talked him into a make shift snorkel that sticks out of the engine compartment so the turbo isn't pulling in 150+degree air through the radiator. I still question good water flow through the entire system as I fought similar issues myself and switched from a PRP (mezire style) billet 50 gallon pump to a Davies Craig EWP150 which is similar in design but much larger than what he's using and 1.5" ID lines
Old 03-15-2017, 08:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Wildcat
I'll bet you $2000 it'll take at least 150* out of the charge air on my car.

I think a couple of us that want to see him succeed have talked him into a make shift snorkel that sticks out of the engine compartment so the turbo isn't pulling in 150+degree air through the radiator. I still question good water flow through the entire system as I fought similar issues myself and switched from a PRP (mezire style) billet 50 gallon pump to a Davies Craig EWP150 which is similar in design but much larger than what he's using and 1.5" ID lines
So why does a supposedly more efficient air to water need yet another crutch to work properly? You want a snorkel? Really? My turbo was also sucking air from right behind the radiator like the OP's and with a $300 Treadstone air to air my IAT's would only rise 35 degrees or so on a 25psi 1/4 mile pass. And I run a hood, OP doesn't even run a hood to trap heat in.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

just some thinking out loud...
regarding the size of the intercooler and it not being big enough or water flow not being enough, I was looking at the size of the lsa supercharger's in manifold cooler which seems pretty small (but maybe denser tubes/fins?) as well as the cooling lines and pump being smaller.

are there complaints about high iat's with this setup?

if not, things should scale to some degree so if you have 2x the size intercooler and lines, water flow etc... it should work somehow unless the efficiency of the 417 setup is that bad.

is there anything in the end tanks that directs water flow evenly across the whole core or is it biased to where the water inlets/outlets are?

as much of a pain as it might be more temp probes are really needed to diagnose what's going on. and while a inlet snorkel might not be the solution, it would't do anything but help...inlet air density can make a big difference in charger efficiency
Old 03-15-2017, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like 417 told you everything besides the truth that the freaking thing works like ****!

This unit however has been proven to work very, very well.

http://www.shearerfabrications.com/e...ler-combo.html
Old 03-16-2017, 04:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's shearer one looks very nice! Any pics of one installed? If you look they have the water taking a much longer flow path and the 417 unit. Likewise the LPE intake and the GM coolers in the LSA, LS9 and the LT4 are all dual pass designes.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Reminds me of the Kenne Bell Corvette issues. 10lbs of **** in a 5lb bag.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:06 AM
I need a gauge for that

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you could rent/borrow/use some IR camera equipment and do some bench testing it would really tell you what you want to know.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

To spend that kind of money and to have any bit of doubt that the product even works blows my mind. The ideas some of you guys are coming up with to have this poor guy try to see if his iat sensors are reading properly is even more ridiculous. This topic has been covered by alot of people having the same issues as the op and they were never able to get it fixed. Switching to an air to air or a properly set up a2w eventually fixed all of their problems.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

seems like the only thing the op doesn't have propertly set up is the actual air charge/water heat exhanger

i'm just curious to understand why it doesn't work compared to others out there

is the design that bad? I haven't seen one in person but some have mentioned that other in manifold designs are dual pass rather than single?
Old 03-17-2017, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 350SS
seems like the only thing the op doesn't have propertly set up is the actual air charge/water heat exhanger
Truthfully in a track scenario an air cooled heat exchanger actually HURTS performance. I'm really not all too concerned with street IATs as this is just a weekend cruiser and weekend strip car. When it's on the track it's getting fed strait ice water at all times, so it's actually the most effective setup I can run in that regard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler: The Data