Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

More Lame results from STS turbo kit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Lame results from STS turbo kit!!!

Saw another car at the track tonight with a big motor, a rear turdo setup,and......I must say, it was very lame on ET.

The car went a string of 96 mph passes at 7.8 and then i did see one pass where he went 99 mph.

The 60 foots werent that great, because even with the stall the car didnt even think to build boost until well after the 60 foot. Damn i knew i should have had a camera to video so you could see it with your own eyes. Car comes off the line, turbo lag even with a stall, then starts making boost about 25-50 feet AFTER the 60 ft marker.

The sad thing is that my car runs those ET's without a turbo and on a nitrous setup wihtout the juice!...28" tires, on 1.70 60's..LMFAO

Last edited by V6 Bird; 10-22-2004 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't base the kits performance on one car. Take my Turbotech kit. It ran 11.27 with 475ish hp.....ran 11.3 with 573rwhp. Don't make sense but there were little things wrong that caused the et to not reflect. Once he gets a 2 step....tires and some more experience, it will get better. If it were easy, everyone would be running 9/10s
Old 10-22-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

your my hero, what the ***** your point? People are still ironing things out.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cablebandit
You can't base the kits performance on one car. Take my Turbotech kit. It ran 11.27 with 475ish hp.....ran 11.3 with 573rwhp. Don't make sense but there were little things wrong that caused the et to not reflect. Once he gets a 2 step....tires and some more experience, it will get better. If it were easy, everyone would be running 9/10s
Sure you can...Just proves my point that it takes longer to spool a rear mounted turbo setup unlike they claim!!!!!!!

What does he need tires for???? You really think he was spinning on those 60 foots??? You gotta build boost down low to even spin the tires...That he was not doing!!!!

Mike
Old 10-22-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 5-liter-eater
your my hero, what the ***** your point? People are still ironing things out.
My point is....Too spend that kinda money on a true turbo setup, for example Pro Turbo's kits!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Sure you can...Just proves my point that it takes longer to spool a rear mounted turbo setup unlike they claim!!!!!!!

What does he need tires for???? You really think he was spinning on those 60 foots??? You gotta build boost down low to even spin the tires...That he was not doing!!!!

Mike
mines building boost at 1800 and peaking at 3500 12psi+ with a gt70, and thats untuned with 10-1. Was this car a truck?
Old 10-22-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds like he made very good power, just took a while to get her boosted. BTW, he simply needs to learn how to come of the line with boost. With our GN's you HAD to pull a lot of boost on the line to get them to run what they were capable of. Just give it a chance.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:27 AM
9 Second Club

you have a lot to learn about ironing things out. Let's look at my car for an example. It only 60' 1.6.....et best of 10.45 @ 131 launching off the 2-step@ 2300 rpms. it is 3800 lbs with a 3.23 gear. Those last two things explain the 60' pretty much...it takes a sec to get to the turbos spool rpm with that gear. I am dead hooking because of a lack of power though my et/mph doesn't suggest that. I am reading that dropping my timing a good bit down low will help spool. I have a p.i. 3200 converter so you think it'd 60' 1.6s easy without the turbo but it won't with my 8.5:1 compression. I agree his car didn't perform to it's potential but it takes time to work out bugs AND to learn how to maximize a combo. He may be too rich before boost...too much timing..etc. Don't bash the guy/kit.....I was once not any faster than him and I had 100 more rwhp.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

If this was the 408 transam from texas with STOCK heads, MAC headers and untuned, you need to delete this dumbass post. 99mph in the 1/8th with no tune stock heads on a 408, sign me up.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/230107-sts-track-times-finally.html
Old 10-22-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

That car DOES NOT have a stall; it has stock gears on the 18's. I cant believe a car runs 99.54mph in the 1/8 and people still talk ****. That car also doesnt have a full tune.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well maybe I'm in the minority, but I want know the pros and con's of any kit. He may have come across harsh and it doesn't sound like he's a fan, but if a guy with a 408 wasn't spooled up until 85-115 ft then I want to know about it. Now I'm more concerned with trap speed, but excessive lag is not very attractive to me. My TTi kit with a T-76 made full boost (13 psi) by 2900 rpms and had virtually no lag. However, I'm now looking at up grading.

I need to know if this kit can compete with the kits that are about to hit the market, and that includes in the Hp department and in drivability. I'm just glad someone has finally got some track numbers from a car that's not stock, good, bad or ugly. That's what's going to help me make my desicion.

Later,
Dave
Old 10-22-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Saw another car at the track tonight with a big motor, a rear turdo setup,and......I must say, it was very lame on ET.

The car went a string of 96 mph passes at 7.8 and then i did see one pass where he went 99 mph.

The 60 foots werent that great, because even with the stall the car didnt even think to build boost until well after the 60 foot. Damn i knew i should have had a camera to video so you could see it with your own eyes. Car comes off the line, turbo lag even with a stall, then starts making boost about 25-50 feet AFTER the 60 ft marker.

The sad thing is that my car runs those ET's without a turbo and on a nitrous setup wihtout the juice!...28" tires, on 1.70 60's..LMFAO
Damn dude, why you gotta smack down everybodies Ride??? Guy was UNTUNED, NO STALL, and Launching off Idle!!! Once he starts building boost higher off the line and gets a stall that car is gonna be wicked fast!!! In the 10's I would think with the right tires,gears, and stall.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trtturbo
That car DOES NOT have a stall; it has stock gears on the 18's. I cant believe a car runs 99.54mph in the 1/8 and people still talk ****. That car also doesnt have a full tune.
Any car that ive touched doesnt run 99.54 on a 7.8 et..

There was stock motor LS1 out there with a little gas on it that ran DEEEEEEp in the 6's!

Beleive me, i want a turbo kit, just not a rear mounted one.

Do you see any Pro 5.0 Stangs with rear mounted turbos? Nope, cuz they arent competitive...Too long to boost up...

Only ricers brag about mph at the track!!!! It was close to looking like a ricer too though. Congrats...You shoulda bouhght a supra.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SUPER DAVES Z
Well maybe I'm in the minority, but I want know the pros and con's of any kit. He may have come across harsh and it doesn't sound like he's a fan, but if a guy with a 408 wasn't spooled up until 85-115 ft then I want to know about it. Now I'm more concerned with trap speed, but excessive lag is not very attractive to me. My TTi kit with a T-76 made full boost (13 psi) by 2900 rpms and had virtually no lag. However, I'm now looking at up grading.

I need to know if this kit can compete with the kits that are about to hit the market, and that includes in the Hp department and in drivability. I'm just glad someone has finally got some track numbers from a car that's not stock, good, bad or ugly. That's what's going to help me make my desicion.

Later,
Dave
Thats my reasoning for my post....Id wait for the Pro Turbo stuff...Cant beat the quality nor effectiveness of a front mounted turbo setup. I dont care nothing about under hood temperatures, ect....Im gonna do it the right way because im competitive and walk all over the other styles out there.

Mike
Old 10-22-2004, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Hmmm, the only points I gather from reading this thread are that V6 Bird doesn't know **** about drag racing with a turbo. That car sure didn't sound like it was set up for all-out track performance either. 99 mph in the 1/8 isn't exactly slow either.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:22 AM
9 Second Club

I wonder if Pro 5.0 stangs use v-6 engines...7.5 rear etc. I am gonna say it.....you are acting like an *** for no reason. What did the pro turbo kitred car run?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Hmmm, the only points I gather from reading this thread are that V6 Bird doesn't know **** about drag racing with a turbo. That car sure didn't sound like it was set up for all-out track performance either. 99 mph in the 1/8 isn't exactly slow either.
Not even the case...Ive got plenty of friends with turbo stangs and are in the drag scene....Before you attempt to clown on someone like this as a mod, have you ever driven or owned a turbo car yourself? Therefor you dont know squat either, correct?

You think that a car running 7 psi with a big cube motor trapping 99 mph is impressive...Heads/cam 346's with autos trap that. Come on Nine Ball, lets look at the whole picture here and put it into reality. The traps would be inpressive if it was a 346, but id expect that car to make over 104mph with that little boost and a HUGE front mount on it!n Your gonna have trouble building boost when you have over 10 ft of pipe in between the motor and the turbo! You're killing exhaust velocity hence why it takes alittle more than normal to build boost....Its not even boosting til well after 60 ft out and very close to the 330 ft marker.

Mike
Old 10-22-2004, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

V6 BIRD, you are coming off like a true troll. I'm recommending you get banned from this forum. 9 ball/ pro stock john please exterminate him please.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its the tranny that is the limiting factor here. With that 408, he doesnt even have a stall in the 4L60! Cmon how can you bash his times when he has a stock tranny in that beast?

trt guys, put a TH400 in and be done with it. That motor deserves it, esp with the added weight too. With that motor and that size turbo, I wouldnt waste my time with the 4L60. I know you've thought about it...right?

But if you are wanting to keep drivability, either keep the tranny or if $ is no issue, go 4L80!
Old 10-22-2004, 09:28 AM
9 Second Club

what did the pro turbo car run?

Quick Reply: More Lame results from STS turbo kit!!!