Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It seems the 2011 Mustang Gt's performance was "Inflated" vs 2010 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010 | 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
youre the one that said until you experience it a bolt on ls1 is as fast as an ls3 SS. so whos being narrow minded?

just admit its possible for a bolt on ls1 to beat a lighted modded ls3 5th gen.
It's possible for a bone stock honda accord to beat a lightly modded 5th gen or bolt-on 4th gen. As I posted a couple posts back, any car can beat any other car on a given day. That fact is the 4th gen LS1's with full bolt-on's is a mid 12 sec. car for the most part. Can we agree on that or do you believe they run 11's on average? An intake/tune LS3 will run a mid 12 sec. ET as well. It all depends on driver and track conditions obviously but on the street I am yet to encounter a full bolt-on LS1 that has beaten me. I don't know what you are finding so hard to understand? Once you start modding the LS3 it will be faster than an equally modded 4th gen. But why are we arguing 4th gen. vs. 5th gen. in a mustang thread anyways?
Old 05-22-2010 | 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dark SS
It's possible for a bone stock honda accord to beat a lightly modded 5th gen or bolt-on 4th gen. As I posted a couple posts back, any car can beat any other car on a given day. That fact is the 4th gen LS1's with full bolt-on's is a mid 12 sec. car for the most part. Can we agree on that or do you believe they run 11's on average? An intake/tune LS3 will run a mid 12 sec. ET as well. It all depends on driver and track conditions obviously but on the street I am yet to encounter a full bolt-on LS1 that has beaten me. I don't know what you are finding so hard to understand? Once you start modding the LS3 it will be faster than an equally modded 4th gen. But why are we arguing 4th gen. vs. 5th gen. in a mustang thread anyways?
what youre in denial about is a full bolt on ls1 being faster than a tune/intake ls3 SS and thats just BS. a full bolt on ls1 fbody with a stall and tire IS CAPABLE OF handing a stock or lightly modded 5th gen its ***. thats a fact. deal with it. and it doesnt have to be gutted or full suspension. every car on this list will beat a lightly modded 5th gen. some arent even gutted and if i remember correctly a few or on STOCK suspension.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...1-74-bump.html

just hope you dont run into these cars on the street. youll be pissed more than once.

and yes of course once you start modding equally an ls3 SS will be faster.

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 05-23-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2010 | 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in denial?!?!?
That's not necessarily the case. I have very light mods (tune and intake) and have repeatedly beat a 99 Z28 with full bolt-on's from a roll and a stop. When I say full bolt-on's I mean it, you couldn't do another mod to this car with out opening something up. I have also beaten every header/ORY LS1 I have raced. I'm not bragging by any means, my car is not that fast but the 5th gen is a lot faster than people think due to the idiots who have them at the local track trying to recapture their youth of when they had a 69 SS in 1973. They go from a 3 year old accord to a 5th gen and just can't drive it. The ET's on the 5th gens have been dropping as more enthusiasts hit the track.
Any car can beat another car at a given time. I have seen Z06's run high 13's at the track. Until I experience it other wise I will believe that a bolt-on LS1 is about as fast as an LS3 SS. There was nothing more a driver could have done to make the 99 any faster. It would need tires and a stall. Of course then my car would need a tire to be on a level playing field. There is a big difference between an LS3 and L99 SS until you start modding.
Of course tires and a stall is going to make a big difference and the 4th gen will win. I never once thought I could beat a stalled bolt-on car from a dig. A converter could be done on a 5th gen to make things even. When I mentioned opening something up that means converter, gears or cam. As far as tires, please read post above.

Last edited by Dark SS; 05-22-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2010 | 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

hate to break it to you but a stall is a bolt on. fact is a 5th gen. hasnt made ls1 fbodies obsolete as far as performance goes. i test drove an m6 and it didnt feel any faster than my lightly modded GTO. if its faster it wasnt noticeable.

i plan on buying a 2ss. i think theyre great cars. its just too bad theyre so heavy. a 3600 lb 5th gen would be a monster even stock.
Old 05-22-2010 | 07:17 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

I love how everyone is hating on the new camaro. I sold my 98 ss for down payment money for my 2010. Yes my 98 was faster and no i don't care. My 2010 is 1000 times the car my last camaro was in both looks and quality. It runs consistent 12.4 with intake exhaust and tune on 20" wheels and that's fine with me. If i ever get some 17" wheels it will only get better. On s side note I tried to buy back my 4th gen and the kid I sold it to pretty much told me to pound sand. Lol
Old 05-22-2010 | 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

i agree a 5th gen is far superior to 4th gens. i just wish they werent so heavy. as i said i plan on buying one once i can get a descent deal.
Old 05-22-2010 | 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

hate to break it to you but a stall is a bolt on. fact is a 5th gen. hasnt made ls1 fbodies obsolete as far as performance goes. i test drove an m6 and it didnt feel any faster than my lightly modded GTO. if its faster it wasnt noticeable.

i plan on buying a 2ss. i think theyre great cars. its just too bad theyre so heavy. a 3600 lb 5th gen would be a monster even stock.
I guess you just love twisting my words. I never said any thing was obsolete. I love all Camaro's and if I had enough money to build a badass track car it sure wouldn't be a 5th gen. I need a car that can do all things good and not one thing great. A street car that is fun to drive at the track, on the street and on a 1000 mile road trip. For that I can't think of a better car. I love my car and am very impressed with the performance. It's no lightweight but it hides it's heft well. A testament to GM engineers.
Old 05-22-2010 | 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Old 05-22-2010 | 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess you just love twisting my words. I never said any thing was obsolete. I love all Camaro's and if I had enough money to build a badass track car it sure wouldn't be a 5th gen. I need a car that can do all things good and not one thing great. A street car that is fun to drive at the track, on the street and on a 1000 mile road trip. For that I can't think of a better car. I love my car and am very impressed with the performance. It's no lightweight but it hides it's heft well. A testament to GM engineers.

i didnt twist anything. you insist bolt on ls1s cant beat lightly modded 5th gens and i proved otherwise.

i like 5th gens too. but 4th gens are still worthy competitors when comparably modded. my 2SS will be my DD if i can ever sell my GTO lol. itll be lightly modded and i expect to lose to full bolt on ls1s i ever race one.
Old 05-22-2010 | 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FOG52

i enjoyed the mustang vs camaro argument more but i thought id add to this topic.
Old 05-22-2010 | 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

I'm in denial?!?!?

Of course tires and a stall is going to make a big difference and the 4th gen will win. I never once thought I could beat a stalled bolt-on car from a dig. A converter could be done on a 5th gen to make things even. When I mentioned opening something up that means converter, gears or cam. As far as tires, please read post above.
I don't think a stall on a L99 5th gen would make things even against a stalled bolt on 4th gen. In the auto your bringing less power to the table now. The problem with the gen 5 is weight, IMO you need all the power you can get. Power to weight ratio in the 4th gen is exellent, you just have to make sure your rear end is up to par. I agree anybody can lose on any given night but the lighter car always has an advantage.

Last edited by Lethal Z; 05-22-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2010 | 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lethal Z
I don't think a stall on a L99 5th gen would make things even against a stalled bolt on 4th gen. In the auto your bringing less power to the table now. The problem with the gen 5 is weight, IMO you need all the power you can get. Power to weight ratio in the 4th gen is exellent, you just have to make sure your rear end is up to par. I agree anybody can lose on any given night but the lighter car always has an advantage.
Less peak power yes, but that is not the whole story. In the latest GMHTP they did a cam swap dyno thrash of the L99 A6 car against the LS3 M6 car and they showed that the auto car gets more out of the cam down low where the VVT helps. Now everyone knows that doesn't translate to a faster car until you do a stall and a tune, but I thought it was a very interesting piece.
Old 05-23-2010 | 12:31 AM
On The Tree

i enjoyed the mustang vs camaro argument more but i thought id add to this topic.

Its interesting to see camaro owners eating their own. I don't feel so special now.

Last edited by FOG52; 05-23-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2010 | 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

i didnt twist anything. you insist bolt on ls1s cant beat lightly modded 5th gens and i proved otherwise.

i like 5th gens too. but 4th gens are still worthy competitors when comparably modded. my 2SS will be my DD if i can ever sell my GTO lol. itll be lightly modded and i expect to lose to full bolt on ls1s i ever race one.
Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised like I was. Trust me, I was fully expecting to lose to the 99 Z I raced.
Old 05-23-2010 | 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised like I was. Trust me, I was fully expecting to lose to the 99 Z I raced.

i hope to find out someday.
Old 05-23-2010 | 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

For what its worth my Uncle has a 10 6spd SS. He's no Evan Smith but owned a C5 previously so he has some idea of how to drive...We messed around a few times from a light and on a local Interstate before my tune and it wasnt even close(@ any speed). I was also on beat street tires and big 18 in. wheels. I see alot of sharp 5th gens around and like them alot but like orange said weights a killer.

Theres a pic of his SS. FYI he was stock when we raced.
Old 05-23-2010 | 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FOG52
Its interesting to see camaro owners eating their own. I don't feels so special now.
Eating our own? Were not eating our own some of us are just trying to get everyone here on the same page. The fact of the matter is this, the gen5 should be a mid to low 12 second car bone stock. If its weight was more in line with the gen 4 it would be. With regards to the mustang I don't know what else needs to be said. We can bench race this thing all day long. The true test will be after these cars start hitting the streets. The 2011 GT has an advantage, there I said it. Its not a huge advantage but an advantage non the less. The gen 5 can easily be turned into a beast, some of us are just a little pissed about the weight. The gen 4 has an exellent power to weight ratio, I wouldn't sleep on that car either. One of these days someone is going to drop an LS3 into one and its really gonna get ugly.

I think you brought a lot of good facts to the argument, I respect that. Don't ruin it now trying to be a smart ***.

Old 05-23-2010 | 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol @ this thread

this thread = brand bashing/ internet racing/ "if he were to mod his car with this then he would beat him" smack talk
Old 05-23-2010 | 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Eating our own? Were not eating our own some of us are just trying to get everyone here on the same page. The fact of the matter is this, the gen5 should be a mid to low 12 second car bone stock. If its weight was more in line with the gen 4 it would be. With regards to the mustang I don't know what else needs to be said. We can bench race this thing all day long. The true test will be after these cars start hitting the streets. The 2011 GT has an advantage, there I said it. Its not a huge advantage but an advantage non the less. The gen 5 can easily be turned into a beast, some of us are just a little pissed about the weight. The gen 4 has an exellent power to weight ratio, I wouldn't sleep on that car either. One of these days someone is going to drop an LS3 into one and its really gonna get ugly.

I think you brought a lot of good facts to the argument, I respect that. Don't ruin it now trying to be a smart ***.

This = /Thread

The LS1 vs LS3 vs L99 vs 5.0 argument has run its course. Any statements/arguments made hence forth will just be retreading over what at least two or three people have already beat to death several times already on this site. Like I said a page or two ago....kill this thread and get back to enjoying your 5th gens.
Old 05-23-2010 | 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Everybody is so serious I thought a little humor was in order.

Quick Reply: It seems the 2011 Mustang Gt's performance was "Inflated" vs 2010 Camaro