Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Which one would you purchase?
09 Ls7 Camaro
66.60%
09 Ls2 Camaro
10.84%
09 Challenger
16.55%
Shelby Mustang
6.01%
Voters: 2048. You may not vote on this poll

New Camaro, New Challenger, GT500?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corey10632
I was under the impression that the 5.4 was a stroked 4.6. I might be wrong though. Ford knows what its doing with the mustang its a good car with a good history. I still wanna see how the redesign goes before i make a final conclusion. However right now my plan is to buy a Camaro a couple years after its been out, hopefully a bumblebee edition.
Nope, two different blocks. They have two iron blocks and one aluminum (Ford GTs). The bore is the same on the 4.6 and 5.4 blocks, but the 5.4 is a taller block and intake manifolds do not interchange. A cam(s) swap on the SOHC engine for just the cams, are 600 bones. For a cams on a DOHC is a 1500 bucks. And motor swap are not as easy as LS1 to LS2 swaps for example. I could go on. But rather not, it my beef with ford.
But, yes the mustang has a rich history and does good in sales. But from a performance stand point, 03 cobras and gt-500 is it.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KompreSSor
Only a handfull of corvette enthusiasts, and the people that buy corvettes bc they're fast would be buying the Camaro with the LS7. Even if Chevy did produce an LS7 'camaro, it wouldn't be 40K!!!!!! They wouldn't produce a car that is cheaper and faster than its flagship corvette! GOD I HOPE IM WRONG BC I WANT A LS7 CAMARO SO BADDDDD!!!!!
A LS7 or LS9 Camaro would probably cost about the same as the base Vette. It wouldn't be as fast as the Vette, because it has a detuned LS7/LS9 engine and weighs 600lbs more than the Vette.

I think its very possible the LS9 Camaro will have the same time or a bit less than the base LS3 Vette and customers will be able to choose an all around light, nimble, sporty car (The Vette) or a (somewhat) family friendlier daily driver that seats 4, and has a trunk. The Camaro could also be driven year 'round, (you never see Vettes in the snow)

So you get two cars, equally fast, cost about the same, one has more prestige, and one is actually somewhat suitable for buying groceries or going to the mall with friends. Plus, I'd be more comfortable leaving a Camaro in a parking lot, than I would a Vette
Old 07-29-2007, 02:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hc8719
A LS7 or LS9 Camaro would probably cost about the same as the base Vette. It wouldn't be as fast as the Vette, because it has a detuned LS7/LS9 engine and weighs 600lbs more than the Vette.

I think its very possible the LS9 Camaro will have the same time or a bit less than the base LS3 Vette and customers will be able to choose an all around light, nimble, sporty car (The Vette) or a (somewhat) family friendlier daily driver that seats 4, and has a trunk. The Camaro could also be driven year 'round, (you never see Vettes in the snow)

So you get two cars, equally fast, cost about the same, one has more prestige, and one is actually somewhat suitable for buying groceries or going to the mall with friends. Plus, I'd be more comfortable leaving a Camaro in a parking lot, than I would a Vette
I think vette buyers and camaro buyers are most of the time different people. I, for instance, would prefer a camaro with a big motor because it's not flashy or obvious. Chevy could sell a ton of camaros with the top of the line motor and at the same time not hurt vette sales. The vette will always be the faster car stock due to the weight difference anyway.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not arguing that, I'm saying a LS9 Camaro would be able to hold some ground with a LS3 Vette, and this way buyers could choose the all around sports car or the more purpose 4 seater muscle car. Both of which would be equally fast
Old 08-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

The only way the Camaro could have an LS7 in it is if the Camaro is priced higher than the base Corvette. Nothing can be better than the Corvette. Period.

And since when is a 400hp+ engine bad? Keep in mind the last Camaros had a 300hp+ engine. Plus, it's not like you can't mod the engine.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigPimpinCook
The only way the Camaro could have an LS7 in it is if the Camaro is priced higher than the base Corvette. Nothing can be better than the Corvette. Period.

And since when is a 400hp+ engine bad? Keep in mind the last Camaros had a 300hp+ engine. Plus, it's not like you can't mod the engine.
Most of us here like fast cars. Not pretty looking, slow ones. :cough: RS model :cough:
Old 08-24-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by enginjoe
Most of us here like fast cars. Not pretty looking, slow ones. :cough: RS model :cough:
Some of us would like to see the Camaro survive this time and could care less what a bunch of horsepower zealots who want EVERYTHING from the factory think...
Old 08-25-2007, 03:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by enginjoe
Ouch! But true.

Just like the latter post said though. The Camaro wont survive if it's not competitively priced. Which is what happened last time. If you start having too many different engines choices, the price goes sky high.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

The camaro will be too expensive and there going to die out in just like the GTO. And a shelby GT500 is a way better deal than a camaro with a ls7
Old 08-26-2007, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98_WS6
The camaro will be too expensive and there going to die out in just like the GTO. And a shelby GT500 is a way better deal than a camaro with a ls7
Exactly, and those of us wanting big power are just going to go for the LS3 vette (which I'll end up doing). I know earlier in this thread I said I'd take the 540HP GT500, but. . .it's a crustang, and having been in a new vette, I just can't imagine driving around in a potatoe...err...mustang, 540HP or not.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98_WS6
Hey idiot. The LS7 ends production before the Camaro comes out, if anything count on an LS9 or something. What pissed me off though was when you said a Shebly GT500 is better deal than an LS7 Camaro?

Ok the GT500 has a 1/4 time of like 13.2 by mototrend, it weighs 4000lbs, and has a live rear axle.

Its already been stated the 2009 Camaro will have IRS, that alone is already better than the Mustang. Lets just say your theoretical LS7 goes on sale for $47,000, thats a 505HP car that performs well vs a $40,000, 4000lb, crappy live rear axle car

Watch the GT500 video from Top Gear, you'll see the flaws as well
Old 08-26-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why don't you screwed up Pontiac fanatics stay out of this forum anyways?

Now I know there are decent Pontiac fans that post here, I'm one of them, I prefer the Firebird over the Camaro. But too often I've recently been seeing a Firebird guy pop up in a Camaro forum, saying the Camaro is gay, or that it won't sell, its too expensive, bs, bs....

The Camaro and the Firebird were fcking brothers, they were the same damn car with different hoods, ok? While I'm a Firebird fan, I'd look into a Camaro for my next car as well.

Its fine to want a Firebird back, but don't take it out on the Camaro because there isn't one yet
Old 08-26-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigPimpinCook
Ouch! But true.

Just like the latter post said though. The Camaro wont survive if it's not competitively priced. Which is what happened last time. If you start having too many different engines choices, the price goes sky high.
I don't think price was the problem. It was the lame styling and dated platform. I understand that most of the camaros sold will be the base model. That's what carrys the car makers. If you compare the 2002 camaro v6 to the equivalent mustang, the ford had a better looking package. I think chevy could steal the show with this new camaro. The styling is really nice and it has the IRS. If they can price it in the same range, I think the Camaro will be the top seller easy. They could also put an advanced v6 in there that would almost have as much power as the mustang with a few mods. That would be tough to beat.

GM needs to tap into the customization market if you ask me. They should be selling exhausts, intakes, lighting kits and other things. That way a customer could start out cheaply and add things as time goes on. They could choose performance or style or both.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

quoted from 5thgen board, gm approved site

What are rumored engine options?

There have been several engines thrown out there for use in the Camaro. The only thing we know is that these engines are NOT in production now.

Rumored:
-3.6 Direct Injection DOHC V6
-6.2 LS3 (Due to replace the LS2 next year as GM's standard RWD V8 performance engine, aka Corvette engine)
-Supercharged 6.2 - Not much is known about the engine other than there will be a positive displacement blower sitting on top of the LS3. There are rumored to be three variants, two intercooled versions called LS8 and LS9 and an as-yet unnamed version w/o the intercooler. The first application of the 650hp LS9 is believed to be the upcoming Caddy Escalade V, with the Corvette "SS" or "Z07" $100,000 supercar being next.

i also found out some new news with the l92 motor if anyone cares
Old 09-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Teching In

That direct injection engine may be a v8
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/05/c...-injection-v8/
Old 09-09-2007, 03:26 AM
TECH Resident

realistically i chose the ls2 camaro seeing as that seems the most affordable for now.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
realistically i chose the ls2 camaro seeing as that seems the most affordable for now.
When this thread was started we didn't know that the LS2 was not even an option. The LS3 is the most likely candidate right now if you ask me. It is basically a larger bore LS2 with L92 heads. There is a really good article in GMHTP on it this month. A detuned version will probably end up in there...
Old 09-20-2007, 04:02 AM
12 Second Club

so long as they ditch that IDS sh*T in the back...and change up the gay mirrors and the super huge plastic dash bezels...
Old 09-20-2007, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

Why is everyone wanting GM to ditch IRS? Do you want the Camaro to handle just like the Mustang?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

True drag racing enthusiasts want the solid axle for strength. The only problem with that is sales. There aren't enough people that want them to make a case for it. The only way the camaro survives is if they sell a ton of v6's to people who like the looks and/or handling (The ratio of v8's to V6's probably needs to be 8 to 1 or more). Besides there are plenty of IRS cars running 9s or lower with some beefed up parts added. Welcome to the 21st century; you can have your cake and eat it too.

Quick Reply: New Camaro, New Challenger, GT500?!?!?!