General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What do you think of this 98Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Post What do you think of this 98Z

My V6 is annoying me, so I've been poking around a bit and I ran across this 98 Z28. 1 owner, 102k miles, hardtop (although I prefer ttops but that can be arranged), MTM (I like that color), looks pretty clean and unmolested.
Autotrader link

Here's some carfax info about it that was provided too
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...HistorySection

Back in 2003 there was some sort of minor accident, so I'd want to look into that to make sure it is ok. No frame damage or airbag deployment reported so I'm thinking it probably wasn't bad.

Thoughts? Think I could sell my 98 V6 for $2200? KBB says it is worth $3000 private party in its condition (body is kinda rough) and trade-in value is $1500. So sell halfway between.

I may be looking at it in person if it is still there in a couple weeks.. We'll see. Thought I'd run it by you guys and get some input before I took the trip over there.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If that was a m6 I would say thats a nice price, but it isnt. I would try to get him down to like 5500ish or lower but it isnt a bad price. My friend bought his camaro last year and it was a 1998 m6 I think with like idk 90k miles and he paid $6000 flat for it. Was a z28 slp edition thing with headers also.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well that would be the thing I'd want to get it for maybe 6k out the door (tax title etc).

Also would depend on brake condition, quality of repair on the nose, and all that stuff.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car looks good. I think your idea of 6k out the door sounds like something I would really push for. TT&L included of course. It's a nice looking z, but make sure you give it a good test drive and check it over really well. I'd say go for it, just my .02$
Old 04-04-2009, 01:27 AM
12 Second Club

I've seen MUCH better deals.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:42 AM
12 Second Club

Despite the miles, the car looks immaculate. I'll say cleaner than mine was when I got it with 70k miles. If you can snag it for $5,500 I don't think it'd be too bad. How much extra **** are they going to charge? I paid $6,250 cash, $37 for tags, and $450 in interest.

Extremely clean car.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

That would be the thing, I'd work the financing out on my end (if it works the way I want, my current monthly payment won't change! Just tack on a year and a few months), so I'd be paying them cash. Cash makes them talk a little easier.

Figure I could also see what they'd give me for my 6 as trade-in. I'm doubting they'll give me much but I could find out. Would make things easier if they gave me enough for it. I'd like to keep my headlights and put the stockers from that car on the 6 but don't know if they'd let me swap them out right there at the lot I'll cross that bridge when I get there (if it goes that far).

I think the 1 owner (under lease for first 5 years) helped keeping it in good shape. Certainly in better shape than my 6 is.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a very clean car and high miles isn't much of an issue as long as it has been maintained.

I say go for it, offer 6k TTL out the door, and if he tries to haggle with you or try to get some bullshit "document fee" don't let him push you.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great but don't pay anymore than $5300 for it. Its hard to believe its an 11 year old car already
Old 04-04-2009, 02:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jetlag
Looks like a very clean car and high miles isn't much of an issue as long as it has been maintained.

I say go for it, offer 6k TTL out the door, and if he tries to haggle with you or try to get some bullshit "document fee" don't let him push you.
I agree; play hard ball. It's in the triple digits and has a bit of a history from what you were saying. Use that to your advantage and see what they'll do. Play it like you could care less whether or not you get that one in particular. If they don't talk the numbers you like, be willing to stand up and bid them goodbye.

Judging by the looks, I wouldn't let the higher miles bother me. I would work them down though. Try selling yours outright, man. Just slap a sign on the window for what you want and see what happens. Post a craigslist up tonight. Doesn't it have a new engine and whatnot?
Old 04-04-2009, 04:03 AM
TECH Regular

I have a 98 T/A and the only thing i have to say about buying a 98 is i wouldnt do it again. I love this car to death but all the hand held tuners dont work for it, the heads are the perimeter bolt and it has the LS1 manifold with all the EGR. Try for a 00-02. JUst me though
Old 04-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Teching In

nada clean retail is 6700 for that car so if you get it under 6 sounds like a good deal
Old 04-04-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Heh I shoulda waited to pick mine up. Mine had a salvage title when I bought it and I got it for $5K. Another thousand and I could've picked up a clean title car.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

i agree, try 6K out the door
Old 04-04-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its in pretty nice shape, just the 98s are notorious for problems(oiling problems in the block, weak rod bolts, having different valve coversthan the rest of the ls1s, ect.)It would also be nicer IMO to have an M6 but thats me.

6k out the door would not be bad, but id try to figure out how long its been there and not jump on it right away, maybe even test drive it and if he doesnt give you a good enough deal walk away and go back later
Old 04-04-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

That is my car's twin. . . . Really, it is the identical car. But, now I have SS wheels.

I think it is damn decent buy, just the miliage is tad bit high.

I bought mine a year and a half a go for 7700 with 62k. It looked a little more roughed up than this one, the driver's seat needed to be replaced(I got a perfect match for a 150 Bucks out of the for sale section here).

I almost guarantee that you will hate your interior very quickly. Like I said, mine is the same and it just looks blah.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do it, upgrade to the LS1
Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That thing looks clean, I'd go for it. But I agree w/ most everyone else too, you can probably knock some off the price. Look at it from a dealer standpoint; it's an 11 year old car with over 100k on it. They're probably willing to haggle. Especially if you bring cash to pay for it, or at least some cash as a down payment.

Personally I'd buy it, that's a really clean f'n car for 6k. And if you want some help taking care of that pesky hard top problem, let me know. I'm sure I can find a way to make it a T-Top.
(Sig)
|
|
|
V
Old 04-04-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
Try selling yours outright, man. Just slap a sign on the window for what you want and see what happens. Post a craigslist up tonight. Doesn't it have a new engine and whatnot?
Yes mine does have a newer engine.

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Its in pretty nice shape, just the 98s are notorious for problems(oiling problems in the block, weak rod bolts, having different valve coversthan the rest of the ls1s, ect.)It would also be nicer IMO to have an M6 but thats me.

6k out the door would not be bad, but id try to figure out how long its been there and not jump on it right away, maybe even test drive it and if he doesnt give you a good enough deal walk away and go back later
I didn't know 98s had weird issues like that I thought the LS1 was an LS1 except some of the newer ones had a different intake and no EGR. M6 would be nice but I suck at manual yeah I could learn it. Figure it is relatively nearby (a little over an hour from here) so doesn't hurt to look.

It has only been for sale since Monday. I won't be able to go see it for at least a week or more.

Originally Posted by samson_420
I almost guarantee that you will hate your interior very quickly. Like I said, mine is the same and it just looks blah.
Yeah I do prefer the darker interior (mine is cloth but all gray inside), but my old car was a tan interior and that was ok. For a used car I'm not overly picky about interiors.

Originally Posted by Lotus289
And if you want some help taking care of that pesky hard top problem, let me know. I'm sure I can find a way to make it a T-Top.
You came to mind as soon as I saw it was a hardtop
Old 04-04-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with everyone else 6k OTD seems like a good price....good luck!