General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Has the ls1 losts it's street credibility?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pepsiboy700
Here on Long Island, it's mostly ricer heaven. I got a friend with a 06 GTO and thats the only person I know with an LS engine. Everybody sticks to rice and mustangs. I do see alot of Corvettes around and everybodys got a new Camaro as well. At a car show you usually just see old muscle cars and about 100 corvettes. Put it this way, I brought my stock autobahn aurora down to the races. The only thing that beat me was a friends worked mustang and it was a fairly close race. Those kids with the scions and hondas. Oooooh boy!

I guess to answer the question, LS1's have not lost there street credit but around here, it seems as if it never had it to start with. Look up 2Fast2Real2 and that gives you an idea of what people have in my area. Theres actually a funny 5 minute clip in it of some guys test driving a z28 LS1 Camaro and they beat the **** out of it.

I'm out in long island and yup.. it's ricer heaven out here. I'm about 15minutes off of exit 44 on the LIE
Old 10-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS1 was the cream of the crop a decade ago. For myself and most it still is. The reason is you can get huge bang for your buck. Power and reliability for cheap makes it one of the best options on the street for 99% of the people I talk to. I see alot of mustang guys runnings LS1 motors now, how many Camaro guys do you see running 5.0 Ford motors?I would love to have any of the new LS series motors but good luck finding something on the cheap.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts

^^How much you trying to spend..there are Junk Yard specials everywhere..perfect for building.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS1 = yes
LSX = no
Old 10-10-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tell my stout 383 that.. I dont think it fits in the lost street credibility category. We are talking street not track. The average guy now adays can afford a streetable 10 second car. But not many of us can afford the lsx block and to maintain the setup. Ill be happy with my 700+ DD LS1 383. Just my opinion. We were talking street credibility not track credibility.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's still ricer heaven in northern Va/DC area too. I used to get a lot of them trying to test me when I had just a Flowmaster, they probably thought my car was a fake SS. Now that I have a full exhaust (and other bolt ons for that matter) they seem to turn off suddenly or drive 10 under the speed limit like they dont see me...coincidence??
Old 10-12-2009, 03:07 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
It's still ricer heaven in northern Va/DC area too.

When I lived there, a good scene was not hard to find. There was a drive-in restaurant west of D.C.... something like "Duff's" or "Fred's" some name like that. I was there in '99-2000, so memory is a little foggy. I remember leaving Alexandria and heading out like I was going to Dulles. Anyway, it was a big famous meet and was featured in at least one car magazine article. Also, there was the Silver Diner right off of I-395 (IIRC), in Springfield? IIRC. Anyway, both meets were very focused on domestic muscle, heavy on classics. Lots of nice cars and very little to zero rice as they clearly weren't appreciated by this crowd.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Not too many stock cars will beat an ls1. All the ricer boys fear it, just like the Mustang guys. Ford still hasnt made a GT that can beat a 98-02 ls1. Hell they will even give a 10 SS a run for its money.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

nigaa what!!!!!!!!?????? hells to the no................player
Old 10-14-2009, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sixpack_2_go
having an ls1 in the LS world is like being an elephant with the smallest dick...compared to other elepants it's small, but it's still bigger than any other animal in the jungle!!!

meaning.... you may not be as fast as ls3's and ls7's but you can still beat all the other cars on the road. LOL

do a heads/cam/intake setup and spray the house down with a 150hp shot. when people ask if you wanna race, say "it's just a little ls1....but...ok...for 500 bucks"
that is going in my sig

i don't get out much, so not sure what the reputation of the ls1 is in my area. i know my dad and uncle don't know **** about it and keep telling me to do a sbc in my 70 instead of the LSx
i need to go to the tracks again, but i don't think there are any test and tune days left this year.... oh well, always next year.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wanted to start a thread asking people what they know about the LS1 and what really makes it a PERFORMANCE engine. We all know that a regular old carb'd 350 is NOT a performance engine of any kind until you start adding stuff into it, but than again this way you can make your geo metro engine a hot performer.

What components and other characteristics does the LS1 feature that really make it stand out from your typical V8. What makes it special in this aspect?
Old 10-16-2009, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

I'm not gonna bother reading the whole thread, but I've been shopping around for a new ride lately and spent some time on a WRX forum. Most of them **** their pants at the mention of a stock one or one with just exhaust, let alone one with heads/cam/spray.

Here are a couple quotes in reply to a WRX beating LS1s:
Wow pulled a WS6 from higher speed rolls? vf22 powa!
anyway, nice kills. glad to see some LS1's gettin beat out there too. they are tough to beat.
Good kills Oscar. Just don't do it on the highway with LS1 cars. They will make your 121ci motor look just that.
my buddy has a z28 LS1 with the "magic stick V3" cam and its a monster as well as a few other bolt ons, but he's making like 510 or 515 at the crank. disgusting numbers. that car barely idles, and will tear apart most things on the road.

LOL @ 510 to the crank being "disgusting." They should come check us out.. 510, even to the wheels, is pretty slow around these parts.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pepsiboy700
Here on Long Island, it's mostly ricer heaven. I got a friend with a 06 GTO and thats the only person I know with an LS engine. Everybody sticks to rice and mustangs. I do see alot of Corvettes around and everybodys got a new Camaro as well. At a car show you usually just see old muscle cars and about 100 corvettes. Put it this way, I brought my stock autobahn aurora down to the races. The only thing that beat me was a friends worked mustang and it was a fairly close race. Those kids with the scions and hondas. Oooooh boy!

I guess to answer the question, LS1's have not lost there street credit but around here, it seems as if it never had it to start with. Look up 2Fast2Real2 and that gives you an idea of what people have in my area. Theres actually a funny 5 minute clip in it of some guys test driving a z28 LS1 Camaro and they beat the **** out of it.
Where on LI are you from? There are tons of fast f bodies around. We have plenty of credit around here.... I dont get your post. And 2fast2real is pretty gay...
Old 10-16-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
I'm not gonna bother reading the whole thread, but I've been shopping around for a new ride lately and spent some time on a WRX forum. Most of them **** their pants at the mention of a stock one or one with just exhaust, let alone one with heads/cam/spray.

Here are a couple quotes in reply to a WRX beating LS1s:
Wow pulled a WS6 from higher speed rolls? vf22 powa!
anyway, nice kills. glad to see some LS1's gettin beat out there too. they are tough to beat.
Good kills Oscar. Just don't do it on the highway with LS1 cars. They will make your 121ci motor look just that.
my buddy has a z28 LS1 with the "magic stick V3" cam and its a monster as well as a few other bolt ons, but he's making like 510 or 515 at the crank. disgusting numbers. that car barely idles, and will tear apart most things on the road.

LOL @ 510 to the crank being "disgusting." They should come check us out.. 510, even to the wheels, is pretty slow around these parts.
This is good stuff
Old 10-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Take a look at my sig...

Why would I choose a LS instead of the billion other swap options out there?

Oh thats right, I can throw $2k at it and make 450rwhp easy, not only that but the power curve.....oh the power curve.

BTW I have about $12k into my entire car (including the car) and I dont think that you can build a cheaper, more powerful, more reliable, better looking car for that $$ (thank you LS1 )
Old 10-18-2009, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Aetos
I'm out in long island and yup.. it's ricer heaven out here. I'm about 15minutes off of exit 44 on the LIE
shame-I used to live on Long Island back in the 70s it was MUSCLECAR HEAVEN! RICERS didn't even exist! oh well glad I live in S.FLA -lots of Badass muscle cars!
Old 10-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Damn I live in the midwest and the LSx is still top dog. I wish i had the cash to switch out my 94 LT1 to a LSx base but for know high 11s na get the job done around any rice box in our area.

Last edited by Bunkerup365; 10-18-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: signature
Old 10-18-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

It's still the same old ricer bs here. I work with a kid that has a volkswagen jetta that claims he smokes ls1s all day, but refuses to play with me. Go figure.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by myk
Lost its street 'cred? I wasn't aware that you could lose it after you won it. Well if it has, what can you expect from a 12 year old motor? I'd say the LS-1 is starting to go the way of the 60's street Hemi; it had its day but it's becoming more of a legend, especially with the rice-rocket crowd with the memory and attention span of a goldfish. Now, I'm not saying that a legend can't still get in the ring every once in a while, but there're newer, better motors out there...
well said
Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
It's still the same old ricer bs here. I work with a kid that has a volkswagen jetta that claims he smokes ls1s all day, but refuses to play with me. Go figure.
My buddy thought the same thing. Until he dynoed 55wrh on the same dyno where I dynoed 340 with exhaust and lid. lol

Quick Reply: Has the ls1 losts it's street credibility?