General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ws6 handling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ws6 handling?

hey i just had a quick question.

first of all, i dont own a ws6 or any f-body for that matter, but am looking to own one in the next coming months.

Ok so yesterday i was talking to one of my friends about his future car purchase. He wants to get an s2000 in a couple months and was bragging about it like its the hottest thing on the planet. Then he asked me when i was getting my ws6. I told him idk when i have the money. Then he goes on to talk trash about it and how "its unreliable" "gas guzzler" "cant handle for crap". I told him that he needed to get his facts straight before trash talking about other cars.

But what he kept bashing about was the handling...and how his s2k would walk all over the trans am on the track.

Then this got me thinking. What would be the outcome? Since i dont own one yet i was hoping some of you on here would be able to shed some light on the subject. Would the the trans am get walked on by the s2k on the track? what about with upgraded shocks? (as i have read stock shocks are horrible).

EDIT: by track i mean a race track with corners
i know the T/A will eat him alive in the 1/4 mile.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock for stock the S2000 will drive away from a WS6 on a road coarse mainly because of weight. The S2000 is more a sports car and the WS6 more a Muscle Car.
But with the correct suspension upgrades the F-body can become a very good handling car.

BTW the WS6 suspension is only marginally better then the base Formula/Trans Am equipment.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

it does handle better but you can make an f-body handle. when my car was stock i beat a s2000 buy a second in the 1/8 mile and he had a couple of mods. and s2000 will get about the same gas mileage on the highway as an ls1 car they are very effecicent motors. my car still has 2.73 gears in it and i can go 55-75 and get 30 hwy city is a lot less but can get close to 16 i have a big stall converter so it kills me in the city but berfore that it would get 20 city easily.

if your friend thinks he can beat you in a s2000 he will have to spend tons of money to keep up with you in a straight line. tell him to shut the **** up and that he doesent know **** about lsx

Last edited by gc302047; 11-16-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Talking Handling

See Sam Strano, he is the GOD of Road Racing F-bodys.

he will forget more about suspensions than most poeple will ever know.

heres his website, http://www.stranoparts.com/

hopefully Sam will chime in soon, or just contact him via his website, he has always been beyond helpful with me.

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 11-16-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S2000 will beat you badly through the corners and you will pull him badly in the straights. S2000 is so light it willl always handle better. They are just totally different cars, apples and oranges....

These motors are very durable and can handle a beating but the rears and 4L60E automatic can both only take so much. Treat them nicely though and they are OK. Having the self control not to flog them is hard though LOL.....

Gas mileage is pretty close surprisingly. My A4 car saw 25mpg bone stock and got 22.9mpg (230/234 cam, 90/90 + bolt ons) on my last trip from NC to Ohio. My city mileage sucks though because of my stall.... A lot of M6 guys on here get 29 or so hiway and 22/23 city.

And I don't think all WS6 cars got the upgraded springs /shocks/bars. If it has 1LE in the RPO code it may have but not necessarily got all three things. Believe it or not certain years even came with Koni shocks IIRC. FWIW the suspension upgrade in sig will run circles around the WS6 upgrade.....
Old 11-16-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shan15
hey i just had a quick question.

first of all, i dont own a ws6 or any f-body for that matter, but am looking to own one in the next coming months.

Ok so yesterday i was talking to one of my friends about his future car purchase. He wants to get an s2000 in a couple months and was bragging about it like its the hottest thing on the planet. Then he asked me when i was getting my ws6. I told him idk when i have the money. Then he goes on to talk trash about it and how "its unreliable" "gas guzzler" "cant handle for crap". I told him that he needed to get his facts straight before trash talking about other cars.

But what he kept bashing about was the handling...and how his s2k would walk all over the trans am on the track.

Then this got me thinking. What would be the outcome? Since i dont own one yet i was hoping some of you on here would be able to shed some light on the subject. Would the the trans am get walked on by the s2k on the track? what about with upgraded shocks? (as i have read stock shocks are horrible).

EDIT: by track i mean a race track with corners
i know the T/A will eat him alive in the 1/4 mile.
Your friend sounds like the typical honda fanboy, he doesn't know what hes talking about.
A 6 speed LS1 will get better gas mileage than the S2000 because of the gearing. The reliability comment is a joke, Ive heard S2000s breaking their drive trains on stock power, and they love to eat clutches as well.
As for the handling, the S2000 handles better hands down, its lighter, smaller, and built for it. That being said it will depend on the track and the driver on which car will come out on top.
Notice a stock SS posted a better times than the S2000(among other cars) at Thunderhill:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=3
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=5
Old 11-16-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Its been said, and it is truth. The s2000 will run circles around a fbody on a road course. The fbody will STOMP an s2000 in a straight line. My stock SS a4 ran a 2005 s2000 with intake, header, full exhaust, and lightweight flywheel, i walked on him hard enough that i let out at 80mph and had around 3-4 cars on him. But my ss handles like a wet sponge on wax, like someone said earlier, apples to oranges my friend.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Your friend doesn't sound like a honda fan boy, he sounds like a ******* moron ricer lol. A s2000 is going to handle better, no ******* ****, but it's also slow as ***** compared to a fbody, and gas mileage on a m6 ls1 fbody is probably the same if not better at some times then a s2000...stock of course, modded the fbody is going to die on gas when you jump into h/c/i setups but stock for stock I would easily choose a fbody over a s2000. The only reason I would get a s2000 is if I lived on top of a mountain with road going around and around to the bottom, then the s2000 would be pretty fun lol
Old 11-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses guys.

I know that the ls1 is a reliable motor (rear end is what causes problems), and also knew that the gas mileage is amazing on stock m6 T/A's (for the amount of power that they offer).

Hopefully when i do get the car i will have enough money left over to upgrade the suspension to handle corners as well. Racing in a straight line is fun, and its what most street racing consists of, but i would love to race on a track with a good handling car. And i love muscle cars so i am hoping that the T/A will pull through on that aspect.

And i dont believe hes a ricer/honda boy (although he does currently drive a prelude sh) but he just always believes he is right all the time...which can get annoying...he refused to believe that a corvette will get 30mpg on the hwy, just because its american and has a v8.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by gc302047
it does handle better but you can make an f-body handle. when my car was stock i beat a s2000 buy a second in the 1/8 mile and he had a couple of mods. and s2000 will get about the same gas mileage on the highway as an ls1 car they are very effecicent motors. my car still has 2.73 gears in it and i can go 55-75 and get 30 hwy city is a lot less but can get close to 16 i have a big stall converter so it kills me in the city but berfore that it would get 20 city easily.

if your friend thinks he can beat you in a s2000 he will have to spend tons of money to keep up with you in a straight line. tell him to shut the **** up and that he doesent know **** about lsx
yep... well said
Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Teching In

he refused to believe that a corvette will get 30mpg on the hwy, just because its american and has a v8.
the ls7 can get over 30 mpg no?
I know the 6.1 hemi can get 32

I would think even though the ls7 has a larger displacement it would get better mpg because it's more effecient
Old 11-16-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

I roll raced an s2k once and I lol'd at it, but like they said, I wouldn't try it in the corners. The WS6 has decent handling, I mean, I auto-x'd my stock one and got 1st place in my class!

Also, I was the only one in the FS class.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the responses guys.

I know that the ls1 is a reliable motor (rear end is what causes problems), and also knew that the gas mileage is amazing on stock m6 T/A's (for the amount of power that they offer).

Hopefully when i do get the car i will have enough money left over to upgrade the suspension to handle corners as well. Racing in a straight line is fun, and its what most street racing consists of, but i would love to race on a track with a good handling car. And i love muscle cars so i am hoping that the T/A will pull through on that aspect.

And i dont believe hes a ricer/honda boy (although he does currently drive a prelude sh) but he just always believes he is right all the time...which can get annoying...he refused to believe that a corvette will get 30mpg on the hwy, just because its american and has a v8.
your buddy sounds like a self opiniated rice boy... Get an ls1 trans am and spank him
Old 11-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Teching In

See what happens when there's three hotties looking for a nice ride.

I've had an S2k, they are ok.... Room is at a premium, long trips aren't comfy, they lack torque, seats get stolen in alot of metro areas because they swap into civic's, vert tops wear and get pinholes under 4 years depending on use, weak valve retainers, thats most of the bad

They do look nice, are light as hell, handle like a go-cart, everything is well placed for the driver, maintenance is easy as pie.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gas mileage, reliability, and your friend being a ricer douchebag have been covered. lol

As for handling. NO an S2000 will NOT run circles around a "well running" WS6. By well running, I mean one without worn out shocks, etc.

If I'm not mistaken the S2000 and WS6 are in the same autocross class along with many other great handling cars, STI, EVO, etc.

Depending on which road track, a WS6 with a driver "who knows their car" will beat an S2000. Look at times at Summit for instance.

With upgrades shocks and swaybars, bolt ons, and maybe a small cam, definately BRAKES! and you will destroy him and nothing he does will help within reason. Even with their bolt on superchargers they are slow, and suspension upgrades don't get them much farther. What kills them also is gearing and lack of torque.

I quoted "who knows their car" for a reason. Smaller lighter cars are easier to drive not neccessarilly better handling. Hell my old 91 Prelude seemed to handle better than my TA but once I got to know my car better I knew better. You don't get as much road feel in a larger heavier car so it takes getting used to.

Another thing. Doing 10 laps at Summit Point in a race, you'd beat him, and likely get much better gas mileage then him doing it.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Default ?

Depends on what u want better handling or more power. U gonna get one or the other not both.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dal1as

If I'm not mistaken the S2000 and WS6 are in the same autocross class along with many other great handling cars, STI, EVO, etc.
D
Unless my chapter of the SCCA plays by different rules, you are mistaken lol. I ran FS class, which is reserved for stock muscles cars. Def no STI's, EVO's, etc. in that class haha.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

My old next door neighbor had a S2000 that was setup for AX with springs/shocks and he always mentioned Swift sway bars like they were a big deal. Carbon fiber hood & trunk. One day we decided to let each other drive the others car (we rode as passengers of course) and then took each other for a ride. He was awed at the the torque of my car and shocked you could blister the tires from 30mph, spin halfway through 2nd and just how hard it pulled.

When i drove his car I was awed at the handling. We went through a 90* turn that I usually hit at 30 and use throttle to bring the rear around (induce oversteer). I hit it at 35 and smoothly went around very neutral feeling. Tried another curve I have made people tell me to "Slow down" at 70 in my car. Tried it at 80 in the Honda and again smooth and predictable.

Nobody will ever convince me an F-body can handle like an S2000. My F body handles GREAT for what it is.... a heavy solid rear car..... Note mods in my sig are a signifigant upgrade over a WS6 also.....

He later turboed the car but trashed it racing a mustang buddy cause he was running a stock tune. Then he spent 6-7k on a forged shortblock but moved before he got it all together so I don't know how he did. Said he was expecting to make upper 400's at the wheels.....
Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on if he knows how to drive, there is a video of a Ram 2500 4x4 diesel owning an s2000 on a road course.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put money on it that a WS.6 with Strano Springs/ sways/ Konis and brake pads could throw down similar lap times of a stock s2000. I say WS.6 because of the 275 summer tires compared to the 245 all seasons that Z28's and T/A's come with.

Quick Reply: ws6 handling?