General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

thermostat thought

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thermostat thought

I was just cruising the internet like normal looking at parts. I have seen the 160* stat multiple times but ive never thought about it. after a few minutes of thinking i have come to the conclusion it is a waste of money. correct me if i wrong but the only thing that it would do is make it take longer to warm up to operating temp. i dont see how it would help the engine run cooler during operation. i see that it will be cooler for all of the 10 min max that it would take for the engine to warm up but it doesn't lower the operating temp at all?
right or wrong?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you got your fans tuned to turn on at lower temps to match the thermostat then the regular operating temp would be lower than stock.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

The thermostat only regulates minimum temperature, post warm-up. Max temp will be determined by several factors, including fan settings, cooling system condition and capacity, engine operating parameters, and outside air temp.

Personally, I would not want a 160 stat in an NA LS1. Coolant temps in the 190-205° range seem to produce ideal results.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

so its pretty much pointless
Old 04-26-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The thermostat only regulates minimum temperature, post warm-up. Max temp will be determined by several factors, including fan settings, cooling system condition and capacity, engine operating parameters, and outside air temp.

Personally, I would not want a 160 stat in an NA LS1. Coolant temps in the 190-205° range seem to produce ideal results.
but if your fans' settings are changed to match your thermostat, won't it decrease the max temp? i agree with you though, i think too many people just assume the cooler the better when that's not exactly the case.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by dutinsss
but if your fans' settings are changed to match your thermostat, won't it decrease the max temp?
Yes, assuming that your cooling system has the proper capacity and condition to keep the engine at a cooler temp for a given set of parameters (outside temp, engine specifications). But the factor that is then regulating your max temp is still not the thermostat, but rather the fan settings.

Only time that the engine would run cooler without changing the fan settings would be at steady cruise for extended periods.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

if your racing it will help consistancey and prevent hot spots in the engine by flowing the coolant sooner and more often. you want it open but you don't want full temp durin the run and you don't want the fans goin on and off durin it either. also at highway speed it should stay cooler and not use the fans.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I look at this, the ls1 was designed to run good in all conditions ranging from the extremely cold(northern winters) to extremely hott(southern summers) everyone I see that says not to put in a 160 stat seems to live in the northern states. What about the people down here in the south where temps see 105+ on a daily basis?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It's better to keep the stock temp thermostat in the motor. The engine suppose to operate optimal in a certain temp range, the stock thermostat and fan settings work to keep the engine in that range. Therefor changing the thermostat and fan settings will more then likely lower engine performance and/or efficiency. If anyone is worried about the motor getting too hot, like during racing for example or diving in a climate with very hot weather, then the better thing to do is get a more efficient (bigger) radiator.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssdeuce74
if your racing it will help consistancey and prevent hot spots in the engine by flowing the coolant sooner and more often. you want it open but you don't want full temp durin the run and you don't want the fans goin on and off durin it either. also at highway speed it should stay cooler and not use the fans.
This is the purpose of a 160 thermostat ^^^

I currently run a 160, I have no complaints what so ever. Although, OP I wouldn't recommend it for what your wanting it for.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Makes the low end lower and helps none when the heat
is on. If you are overheating there is some other cause.