General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Which would you rather have all things considered equal
F body
70.81%
GTO
29.19%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Should I get an LS1 F body or a GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get an LS1 F body or a GTO?

Hey fellas, I want to get a modern high performance vehicle....originally I wanted a 2001-2002 Camaro Z28 or even a Trans Am.

But now I'm wondering if I'd be better off buying a 2005-2006 GTO?

Doesn't the new GTO have the LS2? And isn't that engine more advanced by a long shot as opposed to the LS1?

Another issue is I will most likely be getting a used car loan to buy one, and seeing the banks probably are now only loaning for 2002 and newer models....

On top of that I figure a GTO has probably not been ragged on as hard as an F body since it's fairly new. (I could be wrong though)

Only drawback is the GTO isn't as sporty as an F body, but doesn't look that bad either.

Ok, enough talk, which one would you pick and why?
Old 05-09-2007, 06:51 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

It's hard to vote because we need more details about what you want the car for.....

If you need to haul around more than two adult people on a fairly regular basis, go for the GTO. F-body rear seats suck for people past age 10.

Under any other circumstance though, I would ALWAYS pick the F-body. No question.

As for the LS2 being "more advanced by a long shot as opposed to the LS1", I would disagree with that statement. There are improvements, but not a night and day difference by any means. Nothing like the jump from the LT1 to the LS1, if that's what you were thinking.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Go drive both then you decide which you like.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

i want a GTO that's my vote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Go drive both then you decide which you like.
+1 Best avice one can give IMO
Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Launching!

FBODY!!!Gtos are strong and the inside is nice.But the Fbody ls1 is the true killer.Why not
test drive a C5?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

Goat!!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

I say GTO...better car all around.

If you go over to ls1gto.com and start the same thread with the same poll, you will obviously get the majority of votes for the GTO...just like if you ask here the majority of people on here are f-body owners, so more will vote f-body. I have owned 2 Z28's now and one LS1 Trans Am, and have also driven the new GTO's and if I had the money, no doubt in my mind would I be in a GTO.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The goats are much nicer inside, and have a higher overall build and ride quality. They are also heavier, and have forgetable styling for a muscle car. The F-bodies are cheaper and look meaner, but they can be rattle traps and have some cheesy interior peices and quality issues. Performance will be simillar for both (some minor differences, but still simillar overall). Overall, it really comes down to what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend. The F-bodies are a little rougher around the edges, while the goats are a bit more refined. I think personally that the F-bodies are better for turning heads and for building up a straight-line race monster,while the Goats are easier to live with as an everyday driver. Hope this helps-def. drive both of them and make up your own mind.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

I have "owned" both: 2004 GTO (lease), an 89 Forumla, and currently 2002 TA.

The GTO has an outstanding ride, much more comfortable. Fanatastic seats, great interior. Back seat is usable by adults, but hard to get to. Little trunk space..no pass through. IRS can make it a bitch to launch. GTOs are heavy 4000#. Better engine (LS2) in the later models. Subdued looks. Stock audio is decent.

F-body. Way better in the looks department. Live axle better for drag racing. Cheaper interior, rattles (standard GM). Better cargo storage (really important in this class of car..lol). T-Tops. More attitude.

Drive them both..different character. I'd choose a GTO if I wanted a Daily Driver. GTO is more refined, but we are comparing cars 2-4 years different.

I bet the GTO handles nearly as well as top of the line F-body, if not better with a more comfortable ride. But definately drive them both.

GTO is gonna be more expensive to buy I'd imagine.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1
I say GTO...better car all around.
That is your opinion.

GTO wins in the interior department in terms of quality (design is lackluster though). But for the exterior, it's not even a contest, F-body wins by far.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

YOur question for the poll was LS1...so I went fbod....but if you are talking 05-06, I would go with the LS2 GTO.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
The goats are much nicer inside, and have a higher overall build and ride quality. They are also heavier, and have forgetable styling for a muscle car. The F-bodies are cheaper and look meaner, but they can be rattle traps and have some cheesy interior peices and quality issues. Performance will be simillar for both (some minor differences, but still simillar overall). Overall, it really comes down to what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend. The F-bodies are a little rougher around the edges, while the goats are a bit more refined. I think personally that the F-bodies are better for turning heads and for building up a straight-line race monster,while the Goats are easier to live with as an everyday driver. Hope this helps-def. drive both of them and make up your own mind.
this all you need to know, now go test drive them both. end of thread
Old 05-09-2007, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
As for the LS2 being "more advanced by a long shot as opposed to the LS1", I would disagree with that statement. There are improvements, but not a night and day difference by any means. Nothing like the jump from the LT1 to the LS1, if that's what you were thinking.
Well power wise it is close to the difference between the LT1 and LS1 only problem is its like apples and oranges an LS2 Goat out weighs f-body's by a good 300lbs or so and has IRS. I'd think the difference would be more apparent if the LS2 would have made it into a Camaro or Bird. **** I would have probably bought an f-body over my mach 1 had they come with an LS2 (but don't tell anyone that ).

For the question I'd personally say the GTO just as fast as an 01,02 f-body and loads more comfortable also the fit and finish is much better. So how can you beat that it is like a luxury car than goes like a muscle car. For the looks I could go either way right out of the box the f-bodies look nicer but if you add the right stuff to a goat they'll look nice as hell too.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It's hard to vote because we need more details about what you want the car for.....

Good point as I hadn't thought of this....basically something with good performance that gets around 20/28 mpg...I read thru about the GTO and noticed it is said to be more comfortable...that is semi important....I've driven the LS1 Camaro/Firebird and noticed it feels like the car is riding on asphalt as it seems to ride so low...

I don't need t tops. I hadn't really considered the back seat as I have no kids (yet). You say the GTO has a small trunk but the Camaro/Firebird has little if any space in the rear for hauling anything.

I will admit I like the style of the F body better than the GTO, problem is I can't find any used LS1 F bodies that aren't overpriced or beaten within an inch of their lives....or both.

The GTO I think I'd have better luck finding one that mommy and daddy's boy hasn't already gotten ahold of and ran into the ground.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69Nova355
" I can't find any used LS1 F bodies that aren't overpriced or beaten within an inch of their lives....or both."
Old 05-09-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

i like the looks of the f body better than the goat but its up to you personal peferance.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

GTO, its a better car imo
Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

You say the GTO has a small trunk but the Camaro/Firebird has little if any space in the rear for hauling anything.
There's no pass through or fold down rear seats in the Goat....the GTO trunk area is bigger than the F-body cargo area though.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Banned

Well they quit making the fbods and made the gto so...

Quick Reply: Should I get an LS1 F body or a GTO?