Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**STICKY WORTHY** GMMG Exhaust.. How To Eliminate Rasp * Lots of Vids and Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpower_454
If that's true, then their website is completely wrong:
COBRAPACK MUFFLERS – 3” OD Flowpath (*Over 450 HP)
(NO PACKING - More Aggressive Sound)

(WITH PACKING - Better Noise Reduction)

Or at least very misleading.

Also, why would you go with (2) 12" cobrapacs? Why not just 1 longer one?
Good post...I would like to know as well.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

If that's true, then their website is completely wrong:
(NO PACKING - More Aggressive Sound)

(WITH PACKING - Better Noise Reduction)

Or at least very misleading.

Also, why would you go with (2) 12" cobrapacs? Why not just 1 longer one?
I dont undersatnd, what is completely wrong or misleading?

As far as my thoughts. I was thinking that I want to put (1) long as possible Cobrapack in the I pipe (maybe 26"?) and two more 12" resonators (shorter Cobrapacks) in the tail pipes. Tolal of (3) mufflers all 3" OD flowpath.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

I have a H/C car with kooks LT 1 3/4" headers and kooks ORY and GMMG. Will the Powerstick actually kill any rasp on a H/C car? Also, is the flowmaster merge needed or can I just do the Powerstick. Whats the advantage of getting the FM merge?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smitty504
I have a H/C car with kooks LT 1 3/4" headers and kooks ORY and GMMG. Will the Powerstick actually kill any rasp on a H/C car? Also, is the flowmaster merge needed or can I just do the Powerstick. Whats the advantage of getting the FM merge?
Smitty,

Did you read any of the 9 pages, and listen to the vids?...
Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

I did read all 9 pages but these two posts are what I was questioning. The car Cranny is talking about is h/c/i and did almost nothing to reduce rasp. Torch's car does have a cam but stock heads.

Is the flowmaster merge needed to add the powerstick? If not it seems like a waste of money if it does nothing according to the post by torchd below. I'm no exhaust guru by any means so is the merge just needed to install the powerstick in the I pipe or can the power stick simply just be welded into the I without the need of the merge?

Originally Posted by cranny
Just some info I want to add regarding this thread. The title may be a little misleading depending on what the rest of your mods are. My friend has a GMMG exhaust. His car is a h/c/i car running AFR heads, MS3 cam and fast102. He dynoed at 468rwhp on a dynojet. He added the powerstick and it did very little to reduce rasp. I cannot tell any improvement or difference in sound quality.

The powerstick may help for bolt on or slightly modified cars. On cars making more serious power, the powerstick doesn't seem to help much for reducing rasp.
Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

Now are the videos.. These vids are showing how that by adding the Powestick in the I pipe is what killed about 98% of my rasp. NOT the Flowmaster Merge. In the presvious vids you can hear how raspy it is. With these vids, when you listen, I tell you when I close my windows so you can hear from both the inside and the outside. Also I try to keep it in the 2100 RPM to 2300 RPM range where the rasp starts. With my set up it is ALMOST no exsistent!!!!!!

Continuing on in post #3..........
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

I did read all 9 pages but these two posts are what I was questioning. The car Cranny is talking about is h/c/i and did almost nothing to reduce rasp. Torch's car does have a cam but stock heads.

Is the flowmaster merge needed to add the powerstick? If not it seems like a waste of money if it does nothing according to the post by torchd below. I'm no exhaust guru by any means so is the merge just needed to install the powerstick in the I pipe or can the power stick simply just be welded into the I without the need of the merge?
What I got out of it was the power stick reduced 98% of the rasp, and merge did nothing for the rasp.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
I dont undersatnd, what is completely wrong or misleading?

As far as my thoughts. I was thinking that I want to put (1) long as possible Cobrapack in the I pipe (maybe 26"?) and two more 12" resonators (shorter Cobrapacks) in the tail pipes. Tolal of (3) mufflers all 3" OD flowpath.
Because the website says the mufflers with packing have better noise reduction.

Why would you hack up your GMMG like that to add 2 more 12" ones that are probably not necessary? I plan on just removing the "I pipe" part of my GMMG and making a new one with the powerstick, a piece of exhaust pipe, an elbow, and a cutout. That way my GMMG is still complete if I want to reverse things or sell it and if I ever went TD, I could just sell my custom I-pipe.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

What I got out of it was the power stick reduced 98% of the rasp, and merge did nothing for the rasp.
+1. That's the way I understood it. I am definitely questioning why the OP installed it 'against the grain tho'. I'm thinking about just clamping mine on at first and trying it both ways. If installing it against the grain doesn't help things, I'll install it with the grain so improve exhaust flow.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

+1. That's the way I understood it. I am definitely questioning why the OP installed it 'against the grain tho'. I'm thinking about just clamping mine on at first and trying it both ways. If installing it against the grain doesn't help things, I'll install it with the grain so improve exhaust flow.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the sound both ways if you do end up just clamping it in.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

The against the grain thing has everyone messed up. Against the grain as they call it is the correct way. I spoke the Eric at Classic Chambered and he told me that they are marked inlet and outlet, but it can be installed either way. He states that in his post in this thread ( post number # 86)

Last edited by slow ride 02; 03-12-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Because the website says the mufflers with packing have better noise reduction.

Why would you hack up your GMMG like that to add 2 more 12" ones that are probably not necessary? I plan on just removing the "I pipe" part of my GMMG and making a new one with the powerstick, a piece of exhaust pipe, an elbow, and a cutout. That way my GMMG is still complete if I want to reverse things or sell it and if I ever went TD, I could just sell my custom I-pipe.
That is correct Maxpower. The packing is what makes the Cobrapack quieter than no packing or the powerstick. And you have me confused with one of the other guys, as I do not have a GMMG to hack up.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I plan on just removing the "I pipe" part of my GMMG and making a new one with the powerstick, a piece of exhaust pipe, an elbow, and a cutout. That way my GMMG is still complete if I want to reverse things or sell it and if I ever went TD, I could just sell my custom I-pipe.

I've been watching this thread for a long time but haven't done this mod yet. Until maxpower suggested his solution I never thought of making a new I-pipe.

I feel really stupid for not thinking of this- thanks!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

The against the grain thing has everyone messed up. Against the grain as they call it is the correct way. I spoke the Erick at Classic Chambered and he told me that they are marked inlet and outlet, but it can be installed either way. He states that in his post in this thread (I forgot the post number)
Hmm.... really? I guess that changes things. I'm going to have to call Eric as I plan on doing this soon. I know I'm going to need it after my H/C/kooks headers/ORY install. I still might clamp and try it both ways

That is correct Maxpower. The packing is what makes the Cobrapack quieter than no packing or the powerstick. And you have me confused with one of the other guys, as I do not have a GMMG to hack up.
Nope, just figured since you're replying to this thread you must have a GMMG

Originally Posted by OhTwo

I've been watching this thread for a long time but haven't done this mod yet. Until maxpower suggested his solution I never thought of making a new I-pipe.

I feel really stupid for not thinking of this- thanks!
NP
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Max I want to know what you find out from Eric. I don't want to spend 75.00 on a muffler if it will do absolutely nothing for a H/C car. And I like the idea of a fabricated I pipe with the powerstick too. That way if I ever need to sell it everything will be complete
Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Im not saying it will do absolutely nothing, I am sure it will kill some rasp but 98% I am a little skeptical of on a H/C, LT, ORY car
Old 03-11-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Im not saying it will do absolutely nothing, I am sure it will kill some rasp but 98% I am a little skeptical of on a H/C, LT, ORY car
I think that it will do more than you think. 98%? I dont know. I think that if you put the longest Cobrapack that you can fit in the I pipe about 36" it will do wonders!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

This is my version with Classic Chambered muffler\resonators using a SLP catback.
Cheap and effective build for me. My car has full bolt-ons and Torquer V3 cam.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...o-exhaust.html
Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cknoma2005
This is my version with Classic Chambered muffler\resonators using a SLP catback.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...o-exhaust.html
I like what you have done. But in the photos I can see a 3" going up to the rear and 2 2 1/2" coming over the axel. What I cant see is how?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

I think that it will do more than you think. 98%? I dont know. I think that if you put the longest Cobrapack that you can fit in the I pipe about 36" it will do wonders!
I'm going to jack my car up and get a measurement tonight. I hope to fit a pretty large one (30"-32" body length). I agree it should do wonders. The OP of this thread used a powerstick so the longest body length he could have used was 26". I'm still not crazy about the cobrapacks and power pacs being mild steel and not SS but since it'll be in a Fab'ed I pipe, I guess I could live with it.

Originally Posted by cknoma2005

Sounds good! Some 3k+ vids would be nice tho like others said. I agree much better than TSP catbacks/TD's. They are way overpriced.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

I like what you have done. But in the photos I can see a 3" going up to the rear and 2 2 1/2" coming over the axel. What I cant see is how?
I'm not understanding your question.
The exhaust is 3" from the header collectors all the way until it splits at the SLP y in the back. Then in goes to 2 1/2" out to the tips. The piece of pipe that exits the first muffler and goes up over the axle is actually 3" even though it does look like it. I made sure to measure it

Quick Reply: **STICKY WORTHY** GMMG Exhaust.. How To Eliminate Rasp * Lots of Vids and Pics*