Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by paradigmGT
Can anyone point me to an install guide for these headers? I am hoping to do them myself, but Id like to follow some sort of write up first.

I received my headers and they look pretty good.
I came across this thread a while ago and saved it for when it is time for me to do mine....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html
Old 07-28-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

****, looks like someone else already pointed it out. ^^^^
Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
****, looks like someone else already pointed it out. ^^^^
its a great writeup!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mavn
Got mine installed! They fit perfect and no more raspy sounds, all mean *** growl
I think my drivers side merge is pointing up slightly. I gotta get under there tonight to see. It was real late and rushed to finish so can probably angle the Y pipe differently.

As for the rasp it's just within certain RMPs!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you guys again for all the write ups, and support..

Sean
Old 07-28-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sent you guys an email looking forward to a response.

I am really disappointed with how all of this turned out, but I hope everyone else had a good experience with them
Old 07-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Sponsor

Returned. Hopefully, answered all the questions you had.

Sean
Old 07-29-2014, 07:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
Sent you guys an email looking forward to a response.

I am really disappointed with how all of this turned out, but I hope everyone else had a good experience with them
I'm gunna pull mine back off and have new collectors put on. I bought big headers for flow, and i refuse to dent pipes and impede that to make these work. This will also give me a chance to see how alignment of the primaries is seeing as I had to elongate a bolt hole to make them fit.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

I would be interested in the issues most are having with fitment. Was going to buy a set but i am a little cautious now with some of the feedback.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Sponsor

blacktransam: Not really sure what bolt holes you are referencing. We have not had a single issue with bolt hole sizing with hundreds of those flanges sent out. If they are truly off let me know, and I will send you a brand new set.

-Collectors: They have also been that way on every set we have ever sent out 1 3/4 & 1 7/8". I personally have measured each batch of headers we get in, and all have been within an 1/8" of each other at the tip of the collector. We had them angled up to help with ground clearance, and was not an issue with several of the local cars we test fitted them on. What we are seeing is about a 1/4" of the customers having either mildly tweaked chassis, or thicker motor/trans mounts pushing the headers close the bottom of the car. We honestly did not expect the wide range of chassis points we have been seeing, and have already told the factory to lower the divers side collector tip 3/8" to make sure no ones collector tip is close at all.

We have even seen an extreme case where our headers hit the bottom of the customers car. We had them shipped back to us for inspection, and found out that the headers were again within an 1/8" from the rest of them. The customer wanted us to go ahead and ship the headers back. In the mean time the customer trued the car, and installed Sub-Frame connectors. In his own words the headers slide right in without any fitment issues from that point on. This was an extreme case, but might be some of the issues you guys might be seeing.

If you guys have any other questions just let me know.

Thanks
Sean

Last edited by Speed Engineering; 07-31-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

The problem is not with the collector touching the bottom of the car, its the pipe after it, and by your own description 25% have issues. this car does not need true'd, i've known it since new, it was owned by a 70 y/o who passed. (I have his death certificate) and is a virgin.

here's some pics i took two days after. It has brand new mounts.

look at the finish after 2 days.

the real problem area

I moved that area of the car up a little over 3/4 of an inch and it still sits on the floor board at rest. i've clocked that pipe every single way possible. Like i said i'm not upset, i'm making them work, they are what they are, and cheap chinese ebay quality header
Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GuardianMagnuSS
I couldn't get the stock cross member(Tunnel Brace) back under the Y pipe. What are you guys using to remedy this? Stock member with longer bolts and a spacer or is there something else I can do?
Toss the tunnel brace in the trash -- they aren't really possible to reuse once going to aftermarket exhaust.

Last edited by demonspeed; 07-29-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Toss the tunnel brace in the trash -- they aren't really possible to reuse once going to aftermarket exhaust.
thats the trans mount in the picture
Old 07-29-2014, 02:40 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blacktransam
thats the trans mount in the picture
Sorry about that -- it was not in reference to your situation. I missed quoting the question that I was answering but have edited my post accordingly
Old 07-29-2014, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UATahoe
I would be interested in the issues most are having with fitment. Was going to buy a set but i am a little cautious now with some of the feedback.
Seriously just get em there are no major issues with these things. Sean will help ya out if there are any. So far it seems to be the drivers side causing the issues.

Im having a slight issue with the Y pipe on drivers side. I didn't angle the two pipes from the collector right, I guess.

When my car was in the air there was clearance so I buttoned it up and left my friends shop. When it's on the ground there's about an 1/8" of clearance so it was banging. In the air there was over 1/2"- 1".

I used some exhaust wrap to stop it from tapping and it's much better now.

I have to wait now to fix it for good cuz we have to pull everything behind the collectors to angle it better. Also installing a Torque converter at that time!

The problem is not with the collector touching the bottom of the car, its the pipe after it, and by your own description 25% have issues.
Same spot for me too but not even close to being that bad. Dayum!

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I went under it yesterday and threw another clamp where the I and Y pipe meet. Tightened the exhaust up much better than before. Thanks for answer though. Figured it was useless now.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Sponsor

Not really sure what to say to be honest with you.

1. We are aware the collector tip points up pushing the Y-Pipe close to the car. The change has already been noted for our next batch currently being made.

2. We have never heard of a single issue with bolt hole alignment on our flanges. Maybe, make sure all the bolts are all in before tightening others. I know our employee has done that with other headers before.

3. The K-Member issue is a little bit confusing because the issues I am seeing are all known issues to the Air/EGR eBay headers. Are these pictures of our 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" Race Version headers?

As far as the finish: They are stainless headers, so all you need to do is take some steel wool/WD40 and they will look clean again. When they are installed for the first time & before the car is fired up all coated/stainless headers should be wiped down with alcohol to remove all finger prints liquid spills etc. It will leave them looking clean and new.

Thanks
Sean
Old 07-29-2014, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

1 7/8. And what's the time frame on the fixed drivers side? Earlier in the thread you addressed it and stated you had told the manufacturer to correct it. I figured that was gunna mean these would be corrected before shipping. Since you knew of the issue prior to receiving these. I'd love a fixed drivers side. That would make me happier than hell.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Sounds good. They are basically the exact same as our 1 3/4" design with just larger primaries. All welds/quality are the same, and I personally test fitted them on a 2000 camaro. Everything fit great the closest spot I could see was the driverside K-member, but there was still 3/4" of clearance. Other than that everything seemed to have plenty of room.
I never said anything about having the factory make any changes. I was joking in saying the closest spot I can even find is the K-Member on the drivers side, but also stating there was 3/4" of clearance. The tube was no where close to the K-Member.

Honestly, this is extremely frustrating. If your having that many issues please return them, and I will give you a full refund. If anyone else is having issues besides the tip of the collector angle please contact me. I think the most frustrating part is that we have sold hundreds of sets of these with all but one singe return for fitment, which were sent back to the customer to use again. That has to say something about the quality control of these headers.

Sean

Last edited by Speed Engineering; 07-31-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Sean, any issues you think in modifying the y pipe to add cats? I know you guys only have the ory so I can do it after the fact as long as it won't cause a figment issue. Have a gmmg exhaust so no cats seems like a bad mix with those.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem is not with the collector touching the bottom of the car, its the pipe after it, and by your own description 25% have issues. this car does not need true'd, i've known it since new, it was owned by a 70 y/o who passed. (I have his death certificate) and is a virgin.

here's some pics i took two days after. It has brand new mounts.

look at the finish after 2 days.

the real problem area

I moved that area of the car up a little over 3/4 of an inch and it still sits on the floor board at rest. i've clocked that pipe every single way possible. Like i said i'm not upset, i'm making them work, they are what they are, and cheap chinese ebay quality header
I know these are 1 7/8 but looking at this makes me nervous about getting my 1 3/4 race version installed, I wouldn't be willing to cut, bang or notch anything on my car to make them fit

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!