Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was skeptical at first, but I got the SE 1 3/4 inch race headers and off road Y installed today, these headers have excellent fitment. Car put down 351rwhp/365rwtq with the converter locked after the tune, everything else stock other than a lid.

Only problem was that the Y pipe was touching the floorboard in one spot over by the drivers side headers, but that was dealt with fairly easily with a little modification to the Y. Definitely would recommend these to others.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the comments and business..

Sean
Old 08-11-2014, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Only problem was that the Y pipe was touching the floorboard in one spot over by the drivers side headers, but that was dealt with fairly easily with a little modification to the Y. Definitely would recommend these to others.
How did you take care of this? Its my only problem as well.

I used exhaust wrap for now to stop it from tapping too loud but its still there.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GuardianMagnuSS
How did you take care of this? Its my only problem as well.

I used exhaust wrap for now to stop it from tapping too loud but its still there.
I didn't do it but I ended up having the portion of the Y that was hitting flattened down a little. Then it was welded to the drivers side header so it would be flush and wouldn't leak. So, the drivers side section of the Y pipe and drivers side header are now one piece, costed me like $80.

This makes the headers more difficult to take out, but nothing on my car was banged on or notched so I'm fine with it.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
I didn't do it but I ended up having the portion of the Y that was hitting flattened down a little. Then it was welded to the drivers side header so it would be flush and wouldn't leak. So, the drivers side section of the Y pipe and drivers side header are now one piece, costed me like $80. This makes the headers more difficult to take out, but nothing on my car was banged on or notched so I'm fine with it.
Nice thanks bud!!! I was gonna get most of it welded cuz they leak some so I'll look into flattening that section too. I'm not bashing on my car that's for sure
Old 08-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Sponsor

Not sure if you saw the link on the other page, but you have this option as well. Mufflex makes a kit:

http://www.mufflex-performance.com/9...pter/61-y.html

Thanks
Sean
Old 08-12-2014, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Not sure if you saw the link on the other page, but you have this option as well. Mufflex makes a kit: http://www.mufflex-performance.com/9...pter/61-y.html Thanks Sean
Thanks Sean think I saw that in passing and forgot about it.

Problem is my Y section under the drivers side is about an 1/8" apart from one another.

Unless this alleviates that too. I'll look into it.

Unfortunately when i installed the Y pipe my rear sway bar was hitting my cutout and it gave us a false clearance. In the air there was an inch or more but on the ground it was touching the floorboard.

I need to pull the catback again and see if I can twist those sections for more clearance. With the cutout off I will have an idea of what's really going on

Thanks again
Old 08-15-2014, 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Just ordered your 1 7/8 headers off fleabay. Hopefully theyll let my 383 breath. now that Im going back NA.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

anybody have installed pics yet???
Old 08-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Sponsor

Thank you for your order!

Sean
Old 08-15-2014, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
anybody have installed pics yet???
I'm hoping within a couple of weeks. Interested to see what the clearance is like with such large primaries.

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Thank you for your order!

Sean
No problem, looks like a good product. Hopeful the clearance is good and hopefully what you guys say about Pacesetter 3" Y pipe fitting is true cause I bought one lol.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

When installing the headers and matching y pipe, which gaskets will I need to purchase extra other than the actual exhaust manifold gaskets? Is there a flange between the long tubes and the ypipe that requires a gasket? What about between the y pipe and the catback, is a gasket needed there? Does the speedengineering package come with the required gaskets for these points?

I am hoping of doing the install tomorrow.

Am I dreaming when thinking this will take around 6 hours as a first timer on a stock car, or should I expect it to take way longer?
Old 08-16-2014, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by paradigmGT
When installing the headers and matching y pipe, which gaskets will I need to purchase extra other than the actual exhaust manifold gaskets? Is there a flange between the long tubes and the ypipe that requires a gasket? What about between the y pipe and the catback, is a gasket needed there? Does the speedengineering package come with the required gaskets for these points? I am hoping of doing the install tomorrow. Am I dreaming when thinking this will take around 6 hours as a first timer on a stock car, or should I expect it to take way longer?
You just need new header gaskets, GM or whatever you'd like. No other gaskets are needed.

Took me and a couple friends about 10 hours but the install included motor and tranny mounts, plugs and wires. Plus some trouble shooting at the end.

Just the headers and Y maybe could do in 6 hours, everyone's car is a little different. GL
Old 08-16-2014, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Any tips on how the hell to access the farthest back exhaust manifold bolt to remove it, especially on the passenger side? I cannot see to get it it.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Any tips on how the hell to access the farthest back exhaust manifold bolt to remove it, especially on the passenger side? I cannot see to get it it.
1/4 ratchet is your friend. Need to pull the number 8 coil pack makes it easier too
Old 08-16-2014, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Swivel attachments too
Old 08-17-2014, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

I noticed there is no o2 bungs on the y pipe... what to do with the rear o2 sensors?
Old 08-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Teching In

You have them tuned out or deleted.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

I noticed there is no o2 bungs on the y pipe... what to do with the rear o2 sensors?
youre only running the front 02s. Front and rear are needed for Catted, before and after.

Get em tuned or deleted like said. With Off Road Y pipe you only use the fronts.

You need longer 02s(rear vette), extensions or swap pins in PCM(if you're up for a little different approach).
Old 08-17-2014, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Guys I am not able to fit the stock bracket that supports the stock y pipe onto the new speed engineering y pipe. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!