Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
Any advantage to the 1 7/8 rather than the 1 3/4 working with around 420rwhp?
I'm far from an expert, but you're at the point power wise where the bigger primaries would really start to be advantageous.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to update you guys on the collector question. We received the set of headers back that were close to the bottom of the car for measuring etc. I bolted a spare block and head together on the table with three sets of our headers. 1 from the old batch, 1 from the new batch, and the current ones returned. All three headers measured within 1/8" of an inch at the tip of the collector. The factories precision on these are crazy accurate, being two foot out with all those bends, and staying within 1/8" of an inch is pretty darn close.

So, the question is why after selling a few hundred headers are we just now seeing a couple customers that have a close fitment issue. We are still looking into differences like larger motor/trany mounts then factory etc.

Either way we are having the factory turn the tip down about 3/8" of an inch to compensate for some of the cars that are closer than usual.

On a side note, we just got word that our 1 7/8" headers are finished up, and heading this way. I would expect to see them within 3 weeks if everything goes smoothly. For those of you interested in the 1 7/8" here is the link again for pre-orders.

http://www.speedengineeringlsx.com/s...ersion-25-1021

Thanks again for your guys business.
Sean
Old 06-03-2014, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
On a side note, we just got word that our 1 7/8" headers are finished up, and heading this way. I would expect to see them within 3 weeks if everything goes smoothly.
Sweeeeeeeet! - Cartman's voice
Old 06-04-2014, 03:23 AM
Staging Lane

I am interested in pre ordering the 1 7/8" headers and a y pipe but have a couple questions. you have the TSP catted y listed and on your site it states it fits tsp, pacesetter and hooker headers, but not your own. do they not mate well? and also is the TSP y you guys carry the new stainless steel one?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

A 2" version would be awesome. Could we get some more pics down the collector of the 1 7/8??
Old 06-04-2014, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wanted to update you guys on the collector question. We received the set of headers back that were close to the bottom of the car for measuring etc. I bolted a spare block and head together on the table with three sets of our headers. 1 from the old batch, 1 from the new batch, and the current ones returned. All three headers measured within 1/8" of an inch at the tip of the collector. The factories precision on these are crazy accurate, being two foot out with all those bends, and staying within 1/8" of an inch is pretty darn close.

So, the question is why after selling a few hundred headers are we just now seeing a couple customers that have a close fitment issue. We are still looking into differences like larger motor/trany mounts then factory etc.

Either way we are having the factory turn the tip down about 3/8" of an inch to compensate for some of the cars that are closer than usual.

On a side note, we just got word that our 1 7/8" headers are finished up, and heading this way. I would expect to see them within 3 weeks if everything goes smoothly. For those of you interested in the 1 7/8" here is the link again for pre-orders.

Thanks again for your guys business.
Sean
They have always had the angle issue. Why people are just now mentioning it I dont know. The angle on the driver side has always been like that on this header which is the same design sold under various names. You dont need to bolt them up to see it. You can look at the flange and the collector and clearly see the major upward angle of the collector. The only company to take this design and make the driver side collector straight is LPP which I dont think carries this header anymore. They had the collector straightened out and had a high velocity merge collector added. A shame they dont have them anymore. Maybe you guys should try to find who was making theirs for them.

I usually pie cut the collector and re weld it to make it straight when I put them on.

Bottom line.....its still a good deal when you can get polished stainless steel headers for this price.

By the way....here is a pic of this same design that has had the upgrades like high velocity merge, collector spike, and the angle of the collector fixed.

Last edited by Full-Force; 06-04-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Full-Force
They have always had the angle issue. Why people are just now mentioning it I dont know. The angle on the driver side has always been like that on this header which is the same design sold under various names. You dont need to bolt them up to see it. You can look at the flange and the collector and clearly see the major upward angle of the collector. The only company to take this design and make the driver side collector straight is LPP which I dont think carries this header anymore. They had the collector straightened out and had a high velocity merge collector added. A shame they dont have them anymore. Maybe you guys should try to find who was making theirs for them.

I usually pie cut the collector and re weld it to make it straight when I put them on.

Bottom line.....its still a good deal when you can get polished stainless steel headers for this price.

By the way....here is a pic of this same design that has had the upgrades like high velocity merge, collector spike, and the angle of the collector fixed.

I am not really sure what your talking about. Those are not like our race version longtube headers. And we are the only ones selling our design. I think you might be confused with the air/egr version we offer. Which was stated a long time ago that those are just a generic header we get out of China with a 1 5/8" primary. I know there are several people that sell that style.

Our race 1 3/4" & 1 7/8" headers are our proprietary design we had built just for us. We launched our headers back in December. This is the style of our race version:

Thanks
Sean
Old 06-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Sponsor

Swoop Dogg: I am not sure if the TSP Y-Pipe will work or not. And, yes it would be a drop ship from them to you, so I am assuming it would be the new version.

Thanks
Sean
Old 06-04-2014, 02:22 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sean: speaking of the y-pipes, a friend of mine says that he saw on your website that your Speed Engineering y-pipes are actually TSP. I looked on the site but could not see anything that mentions that. Could you clear this up? Thanks!

-Steve
Old 06-04-2014, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Order placed for the 1-7/8" headers - we'll see how much these ebay 1-5/8" are holding me back!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

And that is post number 410...... you guys certainly have gotten the word out, with a tooon of questions in return, LOL.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not really sure what your talking about. Those are not like our race version longtube headers. And we are the only ones selling our design. I think you might be confused with the air/egr version we offer. Which was stated a long time ago that those are just a generic header we get out of China with a 1 5/8" primary. I know there are several people that sell that style.

Our race 1 3/4" & 1 7/8" headers are our proprietary design we had built just for us. We launched our headers back in December. This is the style of our race version:

Thanks
Sean
YEP, its the generic version like you said. Even on the latest version like you posted picture of above you can see the collector is angled upwards if you compare it to the flange. It will give better ground clearance IF you can keep the y pipe off the floor of the car.

Its amazing how some things get cheaper and cheaper while others get higher and higher. These are such a smart investment
Old 06-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Swoop Dogg: I am not sure if the TSP Y-Pipe will work or not. And, yes it would be a drop ship from them to you, so I am assuming it would be the new version.

Thanks
Sean
Now hold on here, you aren't even sure if the y-pipe you sell on your own site will work or not? Guess it's a good thing I didn't order it yet then. So what y-pipes WILL work then?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Sponsor

I am not sure if ours and TSP Y-Pipes are the same. We both get them out of China. They look the similar, so it wouldn't surprise me. We are actually in the middle of making a few changes to our Y-Pipe actually. Were having them add an O2 Bung for wideband tuning, added slots on the female ends to help with better clamping, and are changing one of the clamps out to a smaller dia for the rear connection. It will probably be 5-6 months before we have them on hand however. The basic design will still be fairly similar though.

nocooler: Thank you for your order. Much appreciated.

AnotherWs6: No kidding. lol, I think we have about 7 pre-orders currently.

Thanks again guys..
Sean
Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 01z28geek
Now hold on here, you aren't even sure if the y-pipe you sell on your own site will work or not? Guess it's a good thing I didn't order it yet then. So what y-pipes WILL work then?
You must not understand how vendors actually operate The additional shipping charge is a dead giveaway that those are drop-shipped directly from TSP.

Do yourself a favor and just get the Speed Engineering y-pipe if you're going with SE headers

I am not sure if ours and TSP Y-Pipes are the same. We both get them out of China.
Sean
Maybe the same factory, but that doesn't mean that when one buys a Speed Engineering y-pipe that you're sending them a TSP box I'm inferring, then, that your y-pipes are in fact "Speed Engineering" y-pipes -- and definitely will be with the new design.

And I know I've mentioned this before, but the F-Body LS community owes you a debt of gratitude for the time and effort you're spending on this very old platform. Further, that you continue to be completely candid answering out questions speaks volumes of your integrity.

One last thing... as for the whole collector "issue" -- I've helped install two sets of the current batch and there were no fitment issues whatsoever. Both were with y-pipes.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Sponsor

Thank you for the comments demonspeed. Always much appreciated...

Sean
Old 06-04-2014, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

wow good deal for LT headers
Old 06-04-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just checked out the website and have a question. Are the 1 7/8 headers only available in the non race version? If so, are there plans for the 1 7/8 headers in the race version?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by demonspeed

And I know I've mentioned this before, but the F-Body LS community owes you a debt of gratitude for the time and effort you're spending on this very old platform. Further, that you continue to be completely candid answering out questions speaks volumes of your integrity.
+1 x 1,000 demonspeed.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Just checked out the website and have a question. Are the 1 7/8 headers only available in the non race version? If so, are there plans for the 1 7/8 headers in the race version?
The 1 7/8 headers are race versions, maybe you were looking at the 1 3/4 ones

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!