Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69z-28
Yes. This isn't the ideal collector, but it will work with the Y pipe.

Edit:

Just ordered a set of the 1 7/8". Sean was a pleasure to work with over the phone. Couldn't believe they are shipping the same day! Will post pics once they're received and installed. Can't wait!
Good deal! I look forward to seeing yours!
Old 05-16-2015, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

What makes it "ideal" again? Smooth transistion on the exterior? Pics? Discount on the "mistake" batch?
Old 05-16-2015, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolAid
What makes it "ideal" again? Smooth transistion on the exterior? Pics? Discount on the "mistake" batch?
It's not a smooth transition but not nearly as bad as the pics make it look. I just finished installing my set tonight and am happy with how they turned out. I was gun shy on picking them up but for 279 I figured that it was worth a chance. As far as power loss or gain against the original style I can't comment but it's still way better than the stock crap I pulled off.

Last edited by 02blksscmro; 05-16-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: corrected auto correct
Old 05-16-2015, 10:49 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you guys again for the business. Much appreciated.

Sean
Old 05-17-2015, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02blksscmro
It's not a smooth transition but not nearly as bad as the pics make it look. I just finished installing my set tonight and am happy with how they turned out. I was gun shy on picking them up but for 279 I figured that it was worth a chance. As far as power loss or gain against the original style I can't comment but it's still way better than the stock crap I pulled off.
Thanks. At full price I think I'll wait until the "ideal" set arrive and the Ys get back in stock. Good luck with your build.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Still waiting on more pics of the prototype collector. I've been holding out for weeks now. I really want a set of original collector, 1 7/8', with merge spikes and will wait if i can't be convinced that the current set is worth owning. I may possibly buy the 1 3/4' once they receive the new batch with merge spikes. I'm OCD and if I buy something that I'm not 100% happy with I'll be bothered by it until it's fixed. I know my own faults and have to work around them.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

can you let me know when the 1 7/8 come in...i want a set with the y pipe
Old 05-19-2015, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Will someone please post up some pics of this oddball collector. The pictures on the website don't show much. Just looking for some detailed pictures so I can make a decision.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Fitment

Did anyone have any fitment issues with the 1 3/4 headers in their 1998 Z28? If I get a set I will be having a sponsor here hopefully install them if there aren't any known issues with fitment. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Sponsor

We will have our new batch of 1 3/4" back in stock the middle of next week. They will have the standard collectors on them with spikes. Y-Pipes are still 2-4 weeks out however. 1 7/8" are in stock with the modified collector and spikes.

kicksZ28: Fitment is great. If you scroll through some of the earlier posts several customers have commented on them.

Thanks
Sean
Old 05-28-2015, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Headers

I will watch here for their arrival. Probably will go ahead and get a set. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
We will have our new batch of 1 3/4" back in stock the middle of next week. They will have the standard collectors on them with spikes. Y-Pipes are still 2-4 weeks out however. 1 7/8" are in stock with the modified collector and spikes.

kicksZ28: Fitment is great. If you scroll through some of the earlier posts several customers have commented on them.

Thanks
Sean
Old 05-31-2015, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

So I finally wrapped up my install and overall I am very pleased. I would recommend a couple extras be bought before you even start though.

1. Header studs. I bought ebay stainless ones for 20 bucks. Aside from being a touch short they worked perfect.
2. Better clamps. The ones that come with the headers are garbage. More on this in a second.
3. GM gaskets. Nothing else should be used period.

If I had all these up front the install would have taken less than 2 hours TOTAL completely by myself. The drivers side took a second set of hands and 5 minutes to wiggle in but could have been done on my own with a little more work and studying. The y pipe would have taken no time at all considering I had it in and mocked up in 10 minutes by myself but the clamps suck.

Those clamps, why bother? Save us some money and don't include anything or charge a bit more and include good ones. For me, I used a set off amazon and they added $50 to the price. There's no reason why this shouldn't start happening NOW.

Final thoughts? Include better clamps and a set of header studs in the price and charge even $430 for the setup. You are still $100 cheaper than TSP but this gets you a package so complete a guy could do the install in a single day by himself.

If anyone wants links to the extra bits I used for install, PM me and I will be happy to provide them. Or Speed Engineering let me know if you want those details to maybe better your header kits.

*Editted* I guess I should include that I used the 1 3/4 race headers and off road y setup and they appear to fit better than my old Kooks 1 3/4 with what I would assume was a TSP off road y.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
So I finally wrapped up my install and overall I am very pleased. I would recommend a couple extras be bought before you even start though.

1. Header studs. I bought ebay stainless ones for 20 bucks. Aside from being a touch short they worked perfect.
2. Better clamps. The ones that come with the headers are garbage. More on this in a second.
3. GM gaskets. Nothing else should be used period.

If I had all these up front the install would have taken less than 2 hours TOTAL completely by myself. The drivers side took a second set of hands and 5 minutes to wiggle in but could have been done on my own with a little more work and studying. The y pipe would have taken no time at all considering I had it in and mocked up in 10 minutes by myself but the clamps suck.

Those clamps, why bother? Save us some money and don't include anything or charge a bit more and include good ones. For me, I used a set off amazon and they added $50 to the price. There's no reason why this shouldn't start happening NOW.

Final thoughts? Include better clamps and a set of header studs in the price and charge even $430 for the setup. You are still $100 cheaper than TSP but this gets you a package so complete a guy could do the install in a single day by himself.

If anyone wants links to the extra bits I used for install, PM me and I will be happy to provide them. Or Speed Engineering let me know if you want those details to maybe better your header kits.

*Editted* I guess I should include that I used the 1 3/4 race headers and off road y setup and they appear to fit better than my old Kooks 1 3/4 with what I would assume was a TSP off road y.
x2
Old 06-01-2015, 04:44 PM
Sponsor

1bdbrd: Thank you for the comments on the install. We do offer a multi-layer steel gasket and bolt upgrade for 29.99. They are basically a replacement grade 5 bolt, nothing special. But, work just fine. Ya, clamps are not the greatest. We talked about those earlier in the thread. Here is the link for our gaskets and bolts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-Exhaust-Manifold-Gaskets-Bolts-GM-LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-Multi-Layer-Steel-/261676486016?hash=item3ced224d80&vxp=mtr
Just a heads up. The 1 3/4" headers came in this morning. The standard collectors are on them with no spikes it looks like. We told them to include spikes, but honestly at this point you never know what your going to get lol.

Thanks guys
Sean
Old 06-01-2015, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
1bdbrd: Thank you for the comments on the install. We do offer a multi-layer steel gasket and bolt upgrade for 29.99. They are basically a replacement grade 5 bolt, nothing special. But, work just fine. Ya, clamps are not the greatest. We talked about those earlier in the thread. Here is the link for our gaskets and bolts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-Exhaust-M...224d80&vxp=mtr

Just a heads up. The 1 3/4" headers came in this morning. The standard collectors are on them with no spikes it looks like. We told them to include spikes, but honestly at this point you never know what your going to get lol.

Thanks guys
Sean
Those gaskets look like they would work well too. As for the bolts, after doing a header install with studs I just can't go back lol. They turn it into a single person job and you don't run the risk of cross threading bolts trying to hold the header up into place. Sooo worth the extra money.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure you've been asked already, but any plans for 1 7/8 headers for '07-'13 6.2l trucks? Thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 06:04 PM
Teching In

The GM mls gaskets they supply are oem. Work perfectly and wouldn't do it with out them. They might not be actual GM gaskets but could not be differentiated from them.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:12 AM
Teching In

I ordered mine Monday and should be in Tuesday of next week. I can't wait to get them on. I decided to go with the tsp ory because SE doesn't have any of theirs in stock. Thanks to all of you, I know how to fix any issues that may come my way during install.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Got mine in last Fri 1 7/8 race version, look good and fit excellent im very pleased with them I'd recommend them to everyone,2000 z/28. The passenger side I had to drop the starter and the drivers side had a tab on the block I had to trim a little other than that no problems.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trey0153
Got mine in last Fri 1 7/8 race version, look good and fit excellent im very pleased with them I'd recommend them to everyone,2000 z/28. The passenger side I had to drop the starter and the drivers side had a tab on the block I had to trim a little other than that no problems.
If you pull two bolts for the steering shaft then no cutting of anything is required. I had no problem at all fitting them into place. Can't see cutting a block for ten minutes of work.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!