Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

LS6427: We have never tried Hi Heat Powder Coating. I am not sure how it holds up. Everything we have done in the past has always been ceramic coated. I am only showing one website order going to Florida that came in today, and it was only headers no Y-Pipe. The headers shipped out this afternoon.

91lxstang: Headers are in stock.

We just found out this afternoon that the Y-Pipes are shipping to us now. We should see them on Monday.

Thanks
Sean
Old 06-25-2015, 12:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
LS6427: We have never tried Hi Heat Powder Coating. I am not sure how it holds up. Everything we have done in the past has always been ceramic coated. I am only showing one website order going to Florida that came in today, and it was only headers no Y-Pipe. The headers shipped out this afternoon.

91lxstang: Headers are in stock.

We just found out this afternoon that the Y-Pipes are shipping to us now. We should see them on Monday.

Thanks
Sean
Just placed my order for the 1 7/8'' Race Longtubes. Excited to get them. Hopefully they will be there by the time I get back home.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:16 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks
Sean
Ok, thanks. I'll have them ceramic coated here locally. I'll post pics of them after they are done so people can see how they came out.....

And I got my UPS tracking number just now.......

Thanks.

Last edited by LS6427; 06-25-2015 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't know why you guys had to drop one side of k member or starter.I never had to do that with mine last week.If I did,I can tell you I wouldn't have installed them if I had to do all of that. Did by myself in an hour and half. I put the car on Jack stands and the only one I kind of had a problem with was the passenger side. It did hit on the starter a little bit so I just put my Jack under it and jacked up on the header two times and it slipped right in.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Curious as to why people are considering coating a stainless header. Is it just for better heat retention/exhaust speed or something?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Curious as to why people are considering coating a stainless header. Is it just for better heat retention/exhaust speed or something?
^^^^^ This! Why are you coating a Stainless Steel Header?!
Old 06-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CGSmith0524
^^^^^ This! Why are you coating a Stainless Steel Header?!
My Grotyohan 1 7/8" LTs were ceramic coated and the heat coming off them was minimal.......you could keep your hand right next to them and no heat was felt.

Heat coming off uncoated headers is friggin hot as *****.....starters stop working when they get hot.

And...literally 10 minutes after engine shutdown....you can touch my headers....or change plugs if you want to. No way you can do that with uncoated headers. Uncoated will stay hot for over an hour because the heads will keep them hot......

Last edited by LS6427; 06-26-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my headers today! They look fantastic, but I have a question that is maybe a stupid one... I orderd the optional gm gaskets and new bolts. My headers came with two different sets of gaskets. One looks like the stock ones that i pulled off of my car, and one set is in little bags and loks to be a soft, aluminum gasket of some sort. The question is: Which set do I want to use?!

EDIT: I just got done installing them, and I went with the ones that looked like the stock ones. I haven't started the car yet, but boy do they look great! This was the first set of headers I have installed on anything ever, but it was honestly not nearly as bad as I was thinking it would be. Perhaps that could just be because of the fitment of these headers though! I didn't have to remove anything on the passenger side except the coil bracket, and had plenty of room. On the drivers side, all I had to do was remove the steering shaft. I left the oil filter on, didn't grind the black or the k member or anything like that. I had no issues getting them in by myself, except that it was a bit of a challenge to hold them and get the bolts started without an extra set of hands. That being said, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the headers (1 7/8" race version). Thank you very much, Speed Engineering, for a well made/designed and affordable product!

Last edited by 1995_maro_z; 06-26-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1995_maro_z
I got my headers today! They look fantastic, but I have a question that is maybe a stupid one... I orderd the optional gm gaskets and new bolts. My headers came with two different sets of gaskets. One looks like the stock ones that i pulled off of my car, and one set is in little bags and loks to be a soft, aluminum gasket of some sort. The question is: Which set do I want to use?!

EDIT: I just got done installing them, and I went with the ones that looked like the stock ones. I haven't started the car yet, but boy do they look great! This was the first set of headers I have installed on anything ever, but it was honestly not nearly as bad as I was thinking it would be. Perhaps that could just be because of the fitment of these headers though! I didn't have to remove anything on the passenger side except the coil bracket, and had plenty of room. On the drivers side, all I had to do was remove the steering shaft. I left the oil filter on, didn't grind the black or the k member or anything like that. I had no issues getting them in by myself, except that it was a bit of a challenge to hold them and get the bolts started without an extra set of hands. That being said, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the headers (1 7/8" race version). Thank you very much, Speed Engineering, for a well made/designed and affordable product!
The GM metal crush type gaskets are the MUCH MUCH better gaskets. You paid $30.00 extra for them....why didn't you use them...?

Old 06-26-2015, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427
The GM metal crush type gaskets are the MUCH MUCH better gaskets. You paid $30.00 extra for them....why didn't you use them...?

I didn't know which ones were the better ones haha. I did some reading, and found that a lot of people say that the Gm multi layered steel gaskets were the best header gaskets for the ls1. That being said, I looked them up on summit and found that they looked a lot like the stock ones, so I used those ones. If they leak, then I have another set! No biggie.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I used the ones on the right.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You used the correct ones.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
You used the correct ones.
Awesome! Haha
Old 06-26-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

about to buy these on ebay from speed engineering, then have a full custom hand bent exhaust built after the headers to my tail pipes!!!
Old 06-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Sponsor

Thank you again guys..

Sean
Old 07-07-2015, 11:42 PM
Launching!

How hard is it to modify the y pipe so that it doesn't neck down to fit the stock catback? I don't want to weld the y to catback. I want it to clamp together so I can change it out or remove it if wanted later on. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:37 PM
Sponsor

If you're running a 3" cat-back you can just cut the tip off our Y-Pipe to match it, and use an exhaust clamp similar to this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-693300/overview/

I would suggest at least tack welding it though. I am sure they could pull apart fairly easily.

Thanks
Sean
Old 07-08-2015, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're running a 3" cat-back you can just cut the tip off our Y-Pipe to match it, and use an exhaust clamp similar to this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-693300/overview/

I would suggest at least tack welding it though. I am sure they could pull apart fairly easily.

Thanks
Sean
^^This^^ saw it off (it's actually bigger than 3") then weld to I pipe. That's what I did and resulted in almost 0 rasp!! see pics.
Attached Thumbnails Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!-img_20140913_123401_033.jpg   Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!-img_20140912_165329_501.jpg  
Old 07-08-2015, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Default Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!

Originally Posted by Zach-R
How hard is it to modify the y pipe so that it doesn't neck down to fit the stock catback? I don't want to weld the y to catback. I want it to clamp together so I can change it out or remove it if wanted later on. Thanks.
I simply cut off where neck reduced. My dynomax 3" bullet then slid right on to the y pipe neck. Used clamp in link above, no welding. Hanging on like a champ with nothing else holding bullet on.... Haven't connected my axle back system yet
Old 07-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Sponsor

ragtopz28: That looks clean. You defiantly take care of the under side of your car.

Sean

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!