Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would TR224 cam Vs. MTI Stealth cam sound with LT Headers & aft. market catback?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How would TR224 cam Vs. MTI Stealth cam sound with LT Headers & aft. market catback?

talking about the TR 224 114 LSA cams.

1) I heard these were stealthy just as much as MTIs but they make better power?

2) Just wondering hows the idle, shake,...etc

3) What should I expect from these installed on my car with Kooks headers, Catted Y-pipe and Corsa Catback. I heard stealth cams do not get stealthy with aftermarket catbacks? Am I going to be in disaster with my headers and 3" full exhaust?

4) Car is a street daily driver using 100% stock unported heads. Dont want the choppy sound, dont want the needle jumping on idle, dont want it to sound like it will die on a traffic light and most important I dont want to spill my cup of water in the cup holder lol (j/k - whoever had that scenerio).

5) Movie/Sound clips would really help. If you could tell me what to expect as far as performance gains dyno/quarter mile I would be super interested as well.
Help. I already know tuning will be a must in my case.

6) also let me know what you guys mean about that "sewing noise" sound from the valvetrain. how bad is it.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

The TR 224-114 is no where near stealthy, I hate to tell yah.

I'll be happy when I can get my car tuned to start up with one turn of the key and stay idling.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:02 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

search is your friend. there is SO much info on the tr224 and the stealth cams. research is part of the modding process.

the 114 wont be able to pass off as a sleeper, with a tune it should idle very smooth and be very streetable. my 230 with its 110.5lsa idles at 800 without tune and it lopes hard .

with a full exhuast setup the cam sound is exemplified, which i think is the best part of a cam. in the short 390-400rwhp hp is possible on stock heads with full bolt ons and a good tune.

oh, and valvetrain noise aint that bad. with the rev duals, tit. retainers, and hardend pushrods and now manley springs with tit. retainers and hardend pushrods the noise is about the same. you get used to it and after a while dont even notice it. i forgot what the stock vavletrain sounds like myself though.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"1) I heard these were stealthy just as much as MTIs but they make better power?"

Ok, this is what you heard...but was there any logical reason why? Let's see...more overlap=rougher idle. There's no getting around that.

My Stealth II cam is PERFECTLY stock sounding even with the cuttout OPEN...as in, NO catback! Several people on this site can and have attested to that.

There have been other people who have had different results for whatever reasons. All I can tell you is that my own mother can't tell me that my car idles any different than stock (nor any one of the 100 or so people that have heard it thus far) and it ran 119.3 MPH last weekend with 3.23 gears at a 3550 lb raceweight.

I dare say there's not a stronger stock sounding (and I mean STOCK sounding) cam out there.

2. Some slight shimmy at a 650 idle but I do mean slight. Feels like a stock cam with a set of somewhat worn plugs, if you know what I mean.

3. Like I said, mine sounds stock even with the cuttout open.

4. My car IS my daily driver. It exhibits NO bad driving habits. I do have MTI Stage II LS6 heads so I can't make an assumption that yours will be the same. My idle tuning is 100% stock and other than a small amount of idle surge ONLY when the engine is completely cold, it's like stock. No stalling, no surging, no hot start problems...nothing.

5. See #4. My setup is different.

6. It's just the valvetrain noise that you hear from under the hood. I don't mind it at all. You might. I really only notice it at idle.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the responses. I did a search but didnt find much feedback on the cam as far as how it will sound (exhaust related).

Whats the most powerful stealthy cam out there?

I was thinking LPE, MTI, or the Z06 cam?

Now that I bought a set of headers Im going to go with a catted y-pipe AND use dynomax bullit mufflers as well just to make sure I minimize the chances of unwanted results to the max.

Colonel I know exactly who your talking about. I assume it was Cobra (CANNIBALs brother) who bought the same cam and the video clip sounded nothing stealthy. This is why I am terribly worried now ESPECIALLY because I decided not to go with heads. Do you think it sounded like that because it [i[might[/i] of been not tuned at the time?

Now that you mentioned even with a cutout it sounds perfectly stealthy for you, Im worried that exhausts will have nothing to do with the lobey sound? Perhaps its mainly based on the heads?

Can anyone with stealthy cams and aftermarket exhausts using stock heads chime in here? I do need the help.

The search feature failed!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colonel
[b]
My Stealth II cam is PERFECTLY stock sounding even with the cuttout OPEN...as in, NO catback! Several people on this site can and have attested to that.
Key word is "My" in your statement, Colonel.

I have direct experience with this cam also and it did lope, quite noticeably, actually. MTI acknowledged that a customer's car with the MTI SSII loped as well. They told my brother (who has the SSII and lopes) that they're gonna refer to it to be installed with a stock catback to achieve the true stealth.

Colonel's works as the title claims. My brother's and an MTI's customer car loped with the SSII. I guess ya' can get lucky. Colonel, did you find any info on why some lope and some don't? I know you had quite a few variables.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Colonel, did you find any info on why some lope and some don't? I know you had quite a few variables.
From everything I have read, idle speed and compression ratio can have a large effect.

Remember the clip jmX posted of his TR227? Sounded dead stock, because of a 900RPM idle, and his higher compression GTP heads. I believe he also said he had a stock exhaust at that point, but he did say that when he dropped down the idle, sure enough - lopiness.

What I'm trying to figure out now is how big a cam I can go and get a nice idle like that, assuming I've got high compression (11:1 or so) heads, and willing to have an 850-900 RPM idle, (since that has no downside I can think of?)

The clip released a few days ago of the 224/228 .580/113LSA Cartek cam sounded nearly stock on a Z06 w/ Stingers was pretty cool to see. Again, 900RPM idle, and 11:1ish heads.

as Jon said to me: the variables make all the difference, it seems.

-Jake
Old 11-19-2003, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JakeL
From everything I have read, idle speed and compression ratio can have a large effect.
The idle and all tuning associated with idle is not a variable. Colonel and my brother's idle and idle tune tables were identical, meaning stock settings.

The only thing Colonel really has over my bro's setup is higher compression.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

All I can figure is a difference in heads, mine being LS6 heads (I can't imagine why that should effect the idle smoothness much at all, if any, but I dunno...maybe it does somehow), the C/R (I can't see ONE point in C/R making that much difference), and tuning (I give highest probability to this. MAP sensor? MAF sensor? Vacume leak? Exhaust leak? Timing difference? Misfires?) Cannibal, I'd be very curious to see what would happen if an LS6 cam were installed in your brother's car. My bet is that it would still lope some.

Jake, my CR is 11.1:1 and my idle is currently set at 650 (perfectly smooth like stock.) I have set it as low at 550. Even with the cuttout open at 550, the lope is VERY mild to say the least.

"Whats the most powerful stealthy cam out there?

I was thinking LPE, MTI, or the Z06 cam?"

In this order...Stealth II, Stealth I, TR's "Old Man Cam", LPE, and Z06.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

"Colonel and my brother's idle and idle tune tables were identical, meaning stock settings."

I forget, is his an '01-'02 A4?
Old 11-19-2003, 02:52 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as the sound and idle quality of the TR224 114 goes, tuning has a huge effect. I have my own tuning tools and I've tried a lot of different settings. By changing the PCM tuning and exhaust configuration, you can make a TR224 sound like anything you want from a top fuel dragster to almost stock. My car idles so smooth it takes a real "car person" to notice anything is up with it.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

My stealth cam (SS1) is not stealth. You can hear it. Car is a 2000 C5 A4 with FLP headers and B&B catback. X_Cobra_Guy is who is having problems with his with SS1 in his car. Randy (I believe he goes by "T-Top" on here) has the SS1 in his M6 vette with FLP headers and Z06 exhuast and he says you can't hear it in his so I don't know. I tried to use my digital camera to make a vid of my car but it didn't have sound. BTW I have MTI S2E heads, Randy has MTI S1 heads. MTI did tuning on my car too. My buddy has MTI C2 (224/224 .581/.581 112)with MTI LS6 S2 heads in his 02 SS M6 and idles as good as mine.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I forget, is his an '01-'02 A4?
My bro's is a '00 MN6 WS6. He has no vaccum leaks, all sensors work as they should.

Colonel, e-mail me your tuning tables from LS1Edit and I'll compare them to my brother's tables.

ldproc0@uky.edu
Old 11-19-2003, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Isn't the stealth relatively mild in a 422ci? Aren't the cars that experience more lope 346's? This might be the difference.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

gojo, I don't think anyone has installed (or should install) a Stealth cam in a 422. Mine is a 346.

"Colonel, e-mail me your tuning tables from LS1Edit"

Ok, will do. Is his the SSI or the SSII?

I talked to Jayson a little more about it today. He said they've sold alot of Stealth I cams but only a couple Stealth II cams. Maybe the II is smoother than the I?

We talked about the difference in heads and compression. He said he doesn't think the heads could have a thing to do with it but the compression ratio could have a little something to do with it. Like me, he doesn't believe that 1 point in CR is enough to make much difference.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cannibal, what do his Ltrims look like at idle with the car warm?
Old 11-19-2003, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Edit file sent.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, will do. Is his the SSI or the SSII?

I talked to Jayson a little more about it today. He said they've sold alot of Stealth I cams but only a couple Stealth II cams. Maybe the II is smoother than the I?
My brother is running the SSII. I can send you his tables too, if you wish.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Take a look at mine and let me know if it's different. Ask him what his Ltrims say at idle.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Confused by your signature.